At the completion of a bachelor’s degree, opting for a specialised master has become quite a common pathway to avail the opportunity to delve deeper into your field of interest. Opting for an MTech without GATE can be an option if you are not willing to take the test. Especially for MTech courses in India, GATE exam is important and widely accepted in technical institutions across the country. But for those who find themselves unable to appear for the exam due to various circumstances, there are viable options you can consider pursuing this program as many esteemed institutions employ different approaches to take candidates for MTech.
This Blog Includes:
- 1. Sponsored Admission in MTech without GATE
- 2. Take Specific MTech Exams Of Deemed Institutes
- 3. Opt for Admission in Central and State Universities
- 4. Direct Admission Process in MTech without GATE
- 5. Apply to Private Universities and Private Deemed Universities
- 6. Pursue Part-time or Online MTech
- 7. Consider Study Options Abroad
- Specializations offered in MTech
- Fee Structure of Top Universities
- Career After MTech
Here are some of the ways you can apply for MTech without GATE
1. Sponsored Admission in MTech without GATE
There are several universities that offer MTech without GATE. Here is how you can apply through sponsored seats:
- You can directly apply through the merit list qualification.
- You must have a BTech or BE degree.
- You need to have at least 2 years of experience to apply for sponsored seats.
- You must have a 2-year study leave granted by your employer
- Your employer should take responsibility for your financial expenses
- Some IITs and NITs have a written test for sponsored seats.
2. Take Specific MTech Exams Of Deemed Institutes
Some esteemed institutions and IIITs organise their own entry-level examinations through which candidates can achieve their career aspiration of completing MTech without GATE. For students wanting to skip GATE but still grab a seat in this program, this method can prove to be of assistance. Qualifying these university-level exams is comparatively easier than that of a national-level exam like GATE. Here are some colleges and their exams:
|Name of the Institution||Exam Name|
|IIIT Delhi||IIIT Delhi MTech Entrance Exam|
|Andhra Pradesh MTech Admissions||AP PGECET|
|IIIT Bhubneshwar||IIIT Bhubaneshwar MTech Entrance Exam|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU)||IPU CET|
|Karnataka MTech Admissions||PGCET|
|Telangana MTech Admissions||TS PGECET|
3. Opt for Admission in Central and State Universities
A majority of prestigious colleges or universities tend to enrol students in MTech without GATE by conducting their own entry-level exams. Similarly, many seats are reserved in central and state universities which students can grab without giving this exam and the entry in such cases can be through the above-mentioned procedures. This is another essential approach to actualise the possibility of MTech for Working Professionals!
Below mentioned are some leading universities which admit the candidates without GATE scores but conduct their own exam instead. Let’s have a look at them:
|Name of the Institution||Selection Process for MTech|
|Aligarh Muslim University (AMU)||-GATE Score
|University of Hyderabad||-GATE Score
-University Entrance Exam
|Jamia Milia Islamia||-MTech exam of the university JMI|
|Pondicherry University||-University entrance exam|
|Tezpur University||-TUEE exam|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)||-JNU CEEB MTech entrance exam|
4. Direct Admission Process in MTech without GATE
Once you have met all the eligibility criteria, it’s time that you apply for MTech in one of these universities.
- After admission links are closed, the merit list will be prepared
- If you took any test for admission, cut off will be released
- You will be called for counselling if you have successfully scored more than the cut-off
- After the counselling, the final list of students will be released
- Next, you need to visit your respective college to get admission by verifying documents and doing other formalities.
Direct Admission in M.Tech Without GATE Eligibility
In order to get direct admission in Mtech without GATE, you must cover the other eligibility of the course:
- You must have a BTech degree with minimum qualifying marks
- If you have a sponsored seat, you must have worked for at least 2 years
- You must be granted 2-year study leave by the employer
- The employer must take responsibility to provide financial support for your course
List of Colleges Offering Direct Admissions in MTech without GATE
For all those who are exploring Indian institutes that offer admission in MTech without GATE score, given below is the list-
- Banaras Hindu University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- University of Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Tezpur University
- Hyderabad University
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Pondicherry University
- Babasaheb Naik College of Engineering
- Dr DY Patil College of Engineering
- Annamacharya Institute of Technology and Science
- Aurora’s Engineer College
5. Apply to Private Universities and Private Deemed Universities
Another way to apply for MTech without GATE, this option is ideal for those aspirants who possess the calibre to pay the high-end tuition fee of private universities. Securing admission in such private deemed universities would help you achieve numerous career prospects in future and you can even opt for PhD after MTech afterwards. The general admission criteria of these universities are the marks scored in graduation or the entrance exam they might conduct.
Struggling with Career Choices?
Book A Free Consultation Session With Us Now!
6. Pursue Part-time or Online MTech
If you are not aiming to opt for a full-time Master of Technology program, then you must consider opting for a part-time or online MTech degree which generally doesn’t require GATE scores. There are many options to consider for MTech for working professionals in the form of distance learning, executive or online programmes. Further, a multitude of specializations are available for those taking this route to pursue MTech without GATE and some of the prominent specializations are Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, to name a few. The major Indian universities offering these part-time MTech courses are:
- IIT Mandi
- Delhi Technology University (DTU)
- NIT Jalandhar
- Anna University
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- UEM Kolkata
7. Consider Study Options Abroad
If you want to grab the best global exposure in the domain of science and technology through a postgraduate program, you should strive to get a Master of Science degree abroad. By enrolling into high-end programs at a global institution, you can seek a plethora of career opportunities to achieve your dream job. Also, there are many top-notch universities around the world that offer a multitude of specializations of interdisciplinary nature. In order to explore study abroad prospects, one needs to qualify the GRE exam for it along with language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL etc. Here are some of the major universities offering MS and MTech programs around the world:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of California – Berkley
- Stanford University
- University of Cambridge
- Harvard University
- University of Michigan
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- California Institute of Technology
- Northwestern University
- Princeton University
Specializations offered in MTech
Similar to the BTech degree, some of the specialisations offered in MTech for working professionals are as follows:
- Computer Science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Software Engineering
- VLSI System Design
- Chemical Engineering
- Process Control and Instrumentation Engineering
- Thermal Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Power Systems Engineering
Fee Structure of Top Universities
Different universities have different course fees for their MTech programs. Here are some of the top universities that offer MTech with their range of fees.
|IIT Delhi||INR 1,19,000|
|IIT Bombay||INR 32,000|
|NIT Trichy||INR 99,250|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||INR 1,83,000|
Here are some of the top universities where you can study MTech without GATE outside India and their fees:
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||INR 40,60,000|
|University of California – Berkley||INR 44,30,000|
|Stanford University||INR 40,00,000|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||INR 55,00,000|
Career After MTech
Candidates prominently opt for a career in majorly two options such as Industrial jobs or research work. As per the degree you hold you can target the choice of field with respect to your career goals. You can easily acquire higher level technical jobs in high-end organizations belonging to various sectors such as IT. On the other hand, you can also carry on with your research of MTech and establish a career in this field. For those who are interested in setting up a career in the field of academics, they can go on to pursuing higher level courses like PhD. However, here are some of the prominent job profiles along with salaries that you can acquire after completing MTech for working professionals-
|Senior Engineer||3-12 Lakh|
|Project Manager||3- 18 Lakh|
|Software Developer||3-10 Lakh|
|Research Associate||3-9 Lakh|
|Maintenance Manager||3-10.8 Lakh|
|Machinery Engineer||4-15 Lakh|
There are various routes to take admission into an MTech program without submitting GATE scores. You can opt for sponsored seats available in IITs, IISCs, NITs; appear for specific MTech entrance exams at private institutes or pursue an MS degree abroad which will require you to submit GRE as well as language proficiency scores as part of the admission process.
GATE is not necessarily required for MTech admissions in India. If you don’t have GATE scores, you can aim to apply for MTech courses in private academic institutions in the country or seek study abroad opportunities as well.
Yes, it is possible to apply for admission in NIT without GATE. You will be required to satisfy the minimum criteria for qualifying marks in your bachelor’s degree as well as provide work experience and some NITs also conduct their own entrance exam which you can appear for.
There are many other entrance exams for MTech other than GATE which are mainly specific competitive exams conducted by different institutes such as BITS organises its own Higher Degree Entrance Exam for ME programmes while you can also appear for exams like VITMEE, IPUCET, IIT Delhi MTech Entrance Exam, amongst others.
Thus, we hope that this blog has helped you understand the different routes you can take to study MTech without GATE. If you have been confused between which master’s degree program to opt for, take the assistance of Leverage Edu’s AI tool to browse through a wide range of specialisations in Science and Technology and find a suitable combination of course and university that fits your career aspirations and helps you sail further towards a rewarding career.