Nearly everything that you use on a daily basis has been conceptualized and designed by people from various fields. Be it the pen you write with, the car you drive or the mobile phone you scroll on, products would not have been manufactured without the expertise of trained professionals. One such category of experts is the Manufacturing Engineer. From conceptualizing the product to planning its manufacturing, they bring the concepts to life. Encompassing the elements of Mechanical, Industrial, Material Sciences and Electrical Engineering, pursuing a career in Manufacturing Engineering has immense career prospects.
In this blog, we will shed light on the various aspects pertaining to the course and its career prospects.
This Blog Includes:
Manufacturing Engineering: Overview
A subset of Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering comprehensively covers and imparts knowledge in various areas like material sciences, machine tools, quality control, and tribology. Counted amongst the best engineering courses for future, the syllabus of the program equips students with the skills to design, develop, execute, operate and maintain manufacturing systems, small-sized goods, and large life-sized products. This includes engines, turbines, robotic equipment, pumps, circuits and so on. Apart from this, the manufacturing engineer is also tasked with selecting the best processes and technology for planning, organizing, and overseeing the manufacturing units.
Covering almost all the elements involved in the manufacturing, designing, and servicing of the product, the bachelor programs impart extensive knowledge on various areas of this field. Production planning, factory layout, cost estimation, properties of materials, management quality, manufacturing technologies, and systems integration and workflow are some of the topics which are covered under this stream. With the increase in demand for these professionals, this engineering field is becoming a popular choice for students from the list of engineering courses after 12th. Listed below are some of the bachelor-level, manufacturing engineering courses available:
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- BSc Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- BS in Engineering Technology (ME)
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical & ME
- BEng Advanced Manufacturing and Mechatronics
With the amalgamation of the concepts of Material Science, Computer Science and other engineering branches, the graduate-level courses in this field focus on equipping students with the skills and techniques of production. Further, they are also trained to identify and examine different ways of improving the overall efficiency of products. With the course curriculum divided into core and elective subjects, students get an opportunity to explore various specialization programs. Listed below are some of the popular graduate-level courses in this field:
- MSc ME (Innovation and Management)
- MEng Leadership in Advanced Material Manufacturing
- MEng Microelectronics Manufacturing Engineering
- MPhil Manufacturing and Enterprise Engineering
- MPhil Engineering (Mechanics, Materials and Advanced Manufacturing)
- Master in Advanced Manufacturing Processes for Aeronautical Structures
Note: ‘ME‘ here stands for Manufacturing Engineering
A doctoral program in this field is heavily inclined towards research and development of combined manufacturing systems. With popular research topics on ergonomics, health systems, human factors, systems improvement, metrology and so on, persuing a doctoral course in this field opens the door to an array of career opportunities. most of the mechanical engineering doctoral programs rely heavily on the dissertation research. Some of the common and most preferred doctoral-level programs include:
- PhD in Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering
- PhD in Production and Manufacturing Engineering
- PhD in Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- PhD in Advanced Manufacturing and Enterprise Engineering
- DEng in Design, Manufacture and Engineering Management
Manufacturing Engineering: Best Books
Refer to the following books while preparing and studying for the subject:
- Mikell P Groover for Basic Fundamentals of Manufacturing
- P.N.Rao for Different Operations and Processes
- O.P Khanna for Industrial Engineering
- R.K. Rajput for Numericals
Global Universities and Ranking
Studying a Manufacturing Engineering course from a leading university with a choice of specialization comes with tons of career opportunities and industrial exposure for the students. Given below are some of the educational institutes for kickstarting a career in this field, along with their QS World Ranking 2023 on the side:
- Cardiff University, 166
- University of Derby, 1001-1200
- La Trobe University, 316
- University of New South Wales, 45
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, 651-700
- The University of Sydney, 41
- RMIT University, 190
- The University of Queensland, 50
- Brunel University London, 412
- University of Glasgow, 81
- Trinity College Dublin, 98
- Florida International University, 751-800
- University of South California
Also Read: SOP for Mechanical Engineering
After pursuing a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in this area, the graduates can find employment opportunities in an array of industries and work profiles. Given below are some of the most popular industries and the suitable job-profiles a graduate can work in:
- Plant and Machinery Manufacturing
- Oil Refinery
- Industrial Engineer
- Information Systems Manager
- Process Engineer
- Engineering Technician
- Manufacturing Consultant
- Manufacturing Policy Adviser
- Engineering Professor
- Senior Researcher in Manufacturing
Salary of Manufacturing Engineer
The salary in India and abroad are as follows.
The average salary per month in India stands at INR 41,931.5.
The salary abroad falls under the annual range of £23,000 (INR 23 lakh) to £40,000 (INR 40 lakh).
Some of the top manufacturing engineer recruiters in India are as follows:
1. Schneider Electric Ltd.
2. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
3. Quest Global
4. Robert Bosch
The average fee of B.tech in Manufacturing Engineering in India is INR 1,50,000 to INR 4,00,000.
Manufacturing engineering is a comparatively good career given the ample opportunities it provides, along with a better pay and several benefits.
Hopefully, with this blog, you are familiar with various aspects pertaining to the Manufacturing Engineering courses and its prospects. If you are planning to pursue this course abroad and need assistance with the admission process then the experts at Leverage Edu will lend you a helping hand. From completing the admission related formalities to appearing for Visa interviews, the counsellors will provide assistance at every step. You can also book your 30 minutes free career counselling with our career experts and get all your queries answered within minutes. Hurry up, book your slot now! Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.