A Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is designed with the aim of providing specific topic-based knowledge and understanding either in broad management or in a particular aspect. PGDM courses are gaining recognition across the globe for their industry-focused curriculum providing both career starters as well as professionals a fast track route to enter senior levels in management. For a prospective applicant, choosing between a PGDM vs MBA is a difficult decision to make, especially when taking into account the vibrant career aspects and similar course structure in both programs. In this article, we will emphasise on the details of a Post Graduate Diploma in Management, the institutions offering it as well as the application process.
This Blog Includes:
What differentiates a PGDM from the traditional MBA programs is the fact that it provides quality management-related knowledge in a specific and condensed curriculum. Typically running up to a period of six months to two years, depending on the location and nature of the programs, it focuses on breaking down the related aspects of management, i.e, Finance, Human Resources, Accounting, amongst others. As an example, a PGDM with a concentration in Finance aims to provide a sound understanding of management from the lens of financial tools such as investment, capital etc. In addition to this, students have the option to choose from a range of electives on offer so as to gain a multidimensional overview.
PGDM: Subjects Covered
As discussed, a typical PGDM program is divided into several concentrations and electives, from which students are free to choose from. The concentrations provide a track for students to work towards during the course of the program and electives serves as a way to diversify the knowledge gained. While the subjects covered in a typical PGDM program vary according to the concentrations and electives but some of the major ones include,
- Business Development
- International Business
- Management & Leadership
- Project Management
- International Business
- HR Development
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Economics
- Organisational Behaviour
- Advertising & Public Relations
Also Read: Diploma in Banking and Finance
Popular Specializations in PGDM
- PGDM in Information Technology
- PGDM in International Business
- PGDM in Sales and Marketing
- PGDM in Supply Chain Management
- PGDM in Business Analytics
- PGDM in Finance
- PGDM in Human Resource Management
- PGDM in Hospitality Management
Check out – PG Diploma vs Masters in Canada
In order to gain admission into a PGDM in various parts of the world, you are required to fulfil certain eligibility conditions as well as submit relevant materials for evaluation of candidature. Here is a list of certain eligibility criteria-
- Candidates need to possess a prior undergraduate degree in any field.
- 1-2 years of work experience (University specific).
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- If the candidates plan to pursue PGDM from abroad, they need to submit GMAT scores along with english language proficiency scores such as IELTS/TOEFL, etc.
- Official academic transcripts
Note: It is advised that students peruse specific eligibility and application criteria before applying.
Also Read: PGDM in Canada
Top Universities Offering PGDM Courses
With the increased number of students preferring to go for specialised routes and into top-level executive roles, PGDM forms a staple portion of course offerings at institutions across the globe, for instance, USA, Canada or UK. To make your task easier, here is a list of 5 institutions and their offered PGDM courses.
|Name of University||Country||PGDM Program(s)|
|University of Toronto||Canada||1. Graduate Diploma |
in Professional Accounting
|Hong Kong University of |
Science and Technology
|Hong Kong||1. Post Graduate Diploma |
in Civil Infrastructural
Engineering & Management
|London School of Business |
|UK||1. Post Graduate Diploma|
2. Post Graduate Diploma
3. Post Graduate Diploma
|Trinity College Dublin||UK||1. Post Graduate Diploma in |
|Monash University||Australia||1. Graduate Diploma in|
The above universities have been highly rated both by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and QS Rankings, offer globally appreciated course curriculum as well as vibrant career opportunities afterwards.
Top Universities Offering PGDM Courses in India
- Indian Institute of Management
- SP Jain Institute of Management and Research
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management studies
- International Management Institute
- Great Lakes Institute of Management
- P.S.G College of Technology
Entrance Exams for PGDM from Indian Universities
- Common Aptitude Test (CAT)
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT)
- Common Management Aptitude Test (CMAT)
- Symbiosis National Aptitude Test (SNAP)
Career Prospects after Post Graduate Diploma in Management
As already discussed above, PGDM is a more detailed oriented course that an MBA and offers the students a more practical approach while imparting management training. The detailed-oriented nature of the course provides students with a lot of excellent career prospects in the fields of sales, marketing, finance etc. The course helps the students in developing transferable skills which are useful in every walk of life. Here are some of the common job positions available to PGDM graduates:
- Finance Manager– A finance manager works on efficient distribution of financial resources of the company. Their work involves them creating and reviewing financial books and financial reports of the firm. They support the management by providing them with the necessary financial insights about the business and offer them with the appropriate financial advice. An average salary of a finance manager ranges between INR 8 lakh p.a.- INR 16 lakh p.a. In India.
- Data Scientist- A PGDM in Business Analytics is the most appropriate course for this job position. As a data scientist, you will be responsible for collecting, analyzing and interpreting a huge amount of data. Data scientists analyze the data to find out insights regarding the business and report these insights to upper management. An average salary for a beginner data scientist ranges between INR 5 lakh p.a.- INR 12 lakh p.a.
- Business Consultant– Business consultants can work in any field such as marketing, human resource, accounting etc. They are responsible for analyzing the business’s performance and are required to offer effective solutions after assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the business. The average salary for a business consultant in India ranges between INR 10 lakh p.a- INR 15 lakh p.a.
- Administrative Officer- An administrative officer acts as a point of contact for all the employees. They solve the queries of the employees and their responsibilities include preparing regular office reports and managing office supplies stock among other things. The average salary of an administrative officer ranges between INR 10 lakh p.a- INR 16 lakh p.a.
While a PGDM course involves advanced knowledge and training along with lucrative job prospects, it is important to analyse one’s skills, abilities and aspirations and choose a study program accordingly. If you are struggling to pinpoint your interests, take assistance of AI-tool at Leverage Edu which suggests you course and universities based on it and assists you in shortlisting some major programs that can offer you immense knowledge and exposure into your field of interest.