The city of Manchester is the mecca for music and sports enthusiasts because of football fervour and the famous Manchester International Festival. With over 99,000 students enrolled, 19,000 of them are international students, Manchester is a favoured destination because of its affordability and student-friendly accommodation. If you are planning to study in the United Kingdom then here is a list of universities in Manchester for you to explore!
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in Manchester?
- Affordability: Manchester is a top choice for students because of its affordability. The average cost of living in Manchester is £10,330 [INR 10,33,394] and £13,340 [INR 13,34,537]. Students can find affordable accommodation at half the price when compared with cities like London.
- Easy to Navigate: Manchester is a big city but students can easily travel across the city because of its excellent public transportation facilities. Students have access to discounted cycles, rails and buses.
- Top Universities: Manchester is home to 5 prestigious universities such as The University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Salford, University of Bolton and University Academy.
- Renowned Alumni: Manchester has been a proud home to regal personalities like Benedict Cumberbatch, Anthony Burgess, Alan Turing and Julie Walters who have transformed the world through their work and experiences.
- Companies: Universities in Manchester are a preferred choice for most recruiters and students alike. Some of the best companies like Barclays, Deloitte, Lloyds Banking Group, Peninsula actively hire talented graduates and offer internships, training workshops and direct placements.
Top Universities in Manchester
Manchester is home to some of the most popular universities in the UK. Here are the top 5 universities:
The University of Manchester is situated in the heart of the city, surrounded by a number of parks. The University of Manchester was the world’s first and most famous civic university, dedicated to pushing the limits of knowledge through research and teaching. It is well-known for its excellent academic standing and focuses on humanities courses such as Philosophy and Linguistics, as well as science courses. In the QS World University Rankings 2020, the University of Manchester was rated 27th, while in the Times Higher Education 2019, it was ranked 57th. Nobel Laureates Niels Bohr, Ernest Rutherford, John Hicks, and A.V Hill have all left their mark on the university.
|Total International Students||10,000|
|Endowments Value||Pound 222.4 million|
|Yearly Hostel & Meals Expense||INR 6.9 Lakh|
Also Read: How to Study in Glasgow?
The University of Salford, established in 1967, is a higher education institution in Manchester, North West England, located less than two miles from the city centre. The university has a reputation for being one of Manchester’s finest universities. Several industrial projects and creative development programmes assist the university’s attempts to build a vibrant education community in Salford and beyond. Other enticing university features include huge green areas, parking lots, calm study rooms, and buildings with high-end academic equipment, in addition to sporting facilities.
There are seven schools at the university. From undergraduate to doctoral levels, they provide remote learning in addition to traditional sit-in classroom sessions. On-campus, there are approximately 50 student-run clubs and groups dedicated to diverse social, academic, and self-interests.
|UG/PG Course Ratio||1: 0.99|
|Endowments Value||Pound 49 million|
|Yearly Hostel & Meals Expense||INR 3.8 Lakh|
Must Read: How to Pursue MPhil in UK?
Since each institution in the United Kingdom is special and has its own charms, selecting a university in the United Kingdom is not an easy task. The University of Bolton offers a wide range of programmes, including foundation programmes, bachelor’s degrees, pre-semesters, master’s master’s degrees, and MPhil/Ph.D. degrees. Not only that but there are a number of other features that will entice you and make this university an ideal decision for you.
The institution has a high degree of student satisfaction; it was ranked first in the National Student Survey. It offers a welcoming and pleasant learning environment, as well as a focused study group with modern comforts.
|UG/PG Course Ratio||1 : 0.66|
|Endowments Value||Pound 160,000|
|Yearly Hostel & Meals Expense||INR 4.5 Lakh|
Must Read: Is It Possible to Study MBA Below 20000 GBP?
Manchester Metropolitan University is both a public and a private university, making it one of Manchester’s best universities. With a long history dating back to 1824, the university is one of Europe’s largest higher education institutions. It is one of the best universities in the UK, with 37,000 students and over 1,000 undergraduate, postgraduate, and professional disciplines. It’s easy to see why Manchester is such a popular choice for students from all around the world.
Manchester Metropolitan University receives around 52,000 applications each year. What is it about this institution that has made it so well-known? The university has a distinct atmosphere that you’ll fall in love with the minute you walk in. It’s the perfect combination of contemporary and traditional. It is known as an artist’s mecca, with top-notch filmmaking, art, graphic design, and illustration programmes.
|Endowments Value||Pound 1 million|
|Yearly Hostel & Meals Expense||INR 8.3 Lakh|
Also Read: Sandwich Courses in UK
The Royal Northern College of Music
The Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) is a well-known international college that offers classical music and art programmes in the metropolitan environment of Manchester. The university offers courses and programmes that lead to statutorily defined higher education degrees such as bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The college has a long history of drawing talented students from all around the world. The institution provides students with expert musical education as well as research and performing possibilities. Aside from hosting over 400 concerts each year, the college is also a vibrant live music venue that allows students to perform in front of large crowds and interact with professional musicians on a regular basis.
|Endowments Value||Pound 1.4 million|
|Yearly Hostel & Meals Expense||INR 8.9 Lakh|
Also Read: Study in UK’s Beachy Towns and Breezy Towns!
Documents Required to Study in Manchester
The following documents are required to apply for a students visa by aspirants who wish to study in Manchester:
- Coloured passport size photograph
- A valid passport
- The Confirmations of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number along with other documents to required to obtain CAS
- Proof of financial stability
- Assessment documentation
- Details of your travel plans and where you are about to reside
- Health checkup report
English Proficiency Test Score
In the above-mentioned universities, IELTS and TOEFL are certainly mandatory while applying for any course. Reading, hearing, speaking, and writing are all evaluated in order to earn an English language certificate, such as the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
However, students should keep a look at the website of universities to determine if they need a language certificate to study at their chosen university.
Candidates who are interested to study in universities in Manchester can apply through the UCAS application
- Register on the official site and you will be provided with your username details
- Sign in and fill in all the details
- Select the desired university and degree
- Complete filling your education history with all the qualifications.
- Fill in the details of your employment history.
- Fill in your statement.
- Submit the application form by paying the mentioned fees.
Students can also submit and file their online applications by directly registering on the official universities’ websites.
Student Visa in UK
Here are the two main types of UK Student Visas you can choose from to study in the UK:
|Tier 4 Student Visa||Short-term Student Visa|
|This is for those who are 16 years of age or above and have enrolled in a course exceeding more than 11 months.||This type of visa is for those students who want to enrol in a short-term course.|
|You will have to collect your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) or letter of acceptance from the institution where you have applied to study.|
Must Read: Study in UK without IELTS
Do you want to apply to popular universities in Manchester and be a proud alumnus? Then let the experts at Leverage Edu take your academic journey to new heights. Book a free 30 minutes session today!