Founded in 1971, Birmingham City University (BCU) is located in the heart of the dynamic city of Birmingham. The University has invested £340 million in its campuses and facilities, providing cutting-edge facilities and real-world experience. It offers first-class education that focuses on practical skills and professional relevance, preparing students for work after graduating. Offering practice-based research and innovative teaching, the university is ranked among the top 1000 in the world. This blog explores how to study at Birmingham City University!
|University Name||Birmingham City University|
|Location||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study at Birmingham City University
- Birmingham City University Admission Deadlines
- Eligibility Requirements to Study at Birmingham City University
- English Language Requirements
- Documents Checklist
- Birmingham City University Admission Process
- Cost of Studying at Birmingham City University
- Scholarships offered by Birmingham City University
- Student Visa For UK
Why Study at Birmingham City University
- Offers a Plethora of Courses
BCU offers 650+ courses including undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs, foundation courses, short & part-time courses, apprenticeships and distance learning courses. Many of the courses provided have internationally-recognised accreditations.
- You can Earn while Studying
The university allows students to apply for paid roles on campus through their student employment agency, helping them to support their expenses of studying abroad.
- Work Experience and Placements
Through work placements, mentoring schemes and Study Abroad exchanges overseas, BCU helps students to gain industry and professional practice experience.
- Enhanced career prospects
The University provides career support and advice for upto three years even after graduation. BCU’s employability ratio is 97.4% which means that 97.4% of students were employed within six months of graduating. Also, the average salary earned by BCU graduates is £22,900 (2.30 Lakhs).
Want to know which course is the best for you?
Try our AI Course Finder.
Birmingham City University Admission Deadlines
Students can apply through UCAS or directly through the university’s website or a country’s representative. The important deadline of applying through UCAS is given below:
|UCAS Application deadline||26 January|
|UCAS Extra Opens (if students don’t receive any offers, they can apply to a new course through UCAS extra)||25 February|
|UCAS Final Deadline (final deadline for application to a September course)||30 June|
Eligibility Requirements to Study at Birmingham City University
To study undergraduate courses at Birmingham City University, you require an Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (Standard XII) with a minimum average of 55%, depending on the exam board. Some courses may require a higher grade. Given below are the specific requirements for different departments:
Faculty of Art, Design and Media
- A good portfolio of artwork.
- 12th Standard average of 60% overall.
- Some courses require Maths with a minimum of 65% from Standard 10 on the Central Board or the CICSE Board. Otherwise, students require 60% from Standard 12.
Faculty of Business, Law and Social Sciences (BLSS)
- 12th Standard average of 60% with a minimum of 60% in Maths.
- Maths at Standard 10 with 65% from Central Board and CICSE Board.
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment (CEBE)
- Mathematics at the 10th Standard minimum of 65% from Central and CICSE boards.
- Mathematics is required at O Level for all courses.
- For BEng Telecommunication and Networks, Mathematics is required at 12th Standard minimum 65% ( at AS Level minimum Grade C or the equivalent)
- All engineering courses require the 12th Standard with a minimum of 65% overall and 65% in PCM.
To study postgraduate courses at Birmingham City University, you require a 3 or 4 year Bachelor’s degree with 55% overall (50% from top universities). These students will directly get admission to Postgraduate Diploma, MBAs or Master’s Degree courses. However, some programmes may require a higher grade. Given below are the specific requirements for different departments:
|Faculty of Art, Design and Media:||Some courses require a portfolio or a proposal of studies; some require both.|
|Engineering courses||Holders of a 3 or 4 year Bachelor degree with 60% overall (55% from top universities).|
English Language Requirements
All undergraduate and postgraduate courses at Birmingham City University require you to meet English Language Proficiency requirements. The acceptable tests and minimum score requirements are given below:
|IELTS Academic||IELTS 6.0 with no band below 5.5|
|Pearson test of English (PTE) – Academic||64|
|TOEFL iBT||80 (Reading-20, Listening- 18, Speaking- 21 Writing- 19)|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced (formerly Cambridge English: Advanced/CAE)||169|
|Cambridge C2 Proficiency (formerly Cambridge English: Proficiency/CPE)||169|
For Indian Applicants, the university also accepts scores from boards like Andhra Pradesh, Central Board Secondary Education (CBSE), CISCE, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu
- 65% – For courses requiring IELTS 6.0 overall
- 70% – For courses requiring IELTS 6.5 overall
- 80% – For courses requiring IELTS 7.0 overall
- Completely filled application form
- A Personal Statement.
- Copy of bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Copy of english language test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 2 references, if required
- Copy of Passport
- Portfolio (for design courses)
- Research Proposal (for PG research programs)
Know in detail about the Requirements to Study in the UK!
Birmingham City University Admission Process
Start the application process by loggin in to UCAS with the “Apply Now“ button to access the application and create an account. Then, for master-level programs, the candidates should apply from Northumbria University Application Portal. Here’s a detailed step-by-step Northumbria University admission process for international students:
Step 1: Visit the Official Website of the University of Northumbria
Select your desired course and register with UCAS. Discover the course through the course finder. Before applying, research the university’s placement records, tuition fee break up, living costs, course curriculum, and work permit rules. If you are facing issues in gathering this data, get in touch with Leverage Edu instructors at 1800 57 2000 and from the application process to the visa process, get entry into your dream university with ease.
Step 2: Gather Test Scores of Proficiency Exams
GMAT, GRE, IELTS or TOEFL are a mandatory part of the documents required for the application process. Register for Leverage Live and commence with your preparations today. A few courses may ask for the online portfolio or assignment that takes place on Skype.
Step 3: Gather other Documents
LOR, SOP, bank statements, essays, updated resumes and official transcripts of previous academic degrees are also part of the supporting documents. Start collecting all the necessary documents to get ahead with your application process.
Step 4: Submit your Application
Once you are qualified, collected all the documents and fulfilled the language requirements you are ready, to begin with, the application form. To secure your admission at Northumbria University make sure you enter all your personal and professional credentials thoroughly. Later on, check the deadlines, and submit your saved application form at the right time to the university.
Step 5: Hang Tight for the Evaluation Period
The university will take a few weeks to evaluate the application form. You will be informed via email about your acknowledgement or rejection. As soon as you receive the offer letter, apply for Visa, apply for subsidising, apply for nearby convenience and start pacing for your study abroad journey!
UK Admission Process for Indian Students
Cost of Studying at Birmingham City University
|Level of Study||Average Tuition Fees|
|Undergraduate courses||£12000 – £13000 (INR 12.05 – 13.06 Lakhs)|
|Postgraduate Courses||£12000 – £15000 (INR 12.05 – 15.07 Lakhs)|
Cost of Living
|Food, and other shopping||£2,600 (INR 2.61 Lakhs)|
|Gas and electricity||£2,080 (INR 2.09 Lakhs)|
|Insurance for personal belongings||£15 – £117 (INR 1507 – 11.75k)|
|Laundry (using a laundrette)||£240 (INR 24.11k)|
|Course related costs: books/stationery/photocopying/binding||£450 (INR 45.21k)|
|Bus pass – 3 terms + summer pass (travel)||£390 (INR 39.19k)|
|Television licence||£145.50 (INR 14.62k)|
|Mobile telephone||£240 (INR 24.11k)|
|Social activity costs (depends on activities)||£600 – £960 (INR 60.29k – 96.46k)|
|Kitchen utensils, plates and cutlery||£35 (INR 3517)|
Interested in knowing more? Check out:
Cost of Living Calculator
Scholarships offered by Birmingham City University
The following scholarships are provided to international students:
|Undergraduate Merit-Based Scholarship||up to £2,000 (INR 2 Lakhs)|
|Prompt Payment Discount||£300 (INR 30.14k) discount if tuition fees is paid in full before travelling to the UK|
|Postgraduate Merit-Based Scholarship||£2,000 (INR 2 Lakhs) if a 1st class degree holder£1,500 (INR 1.5 Lakhs) if a Second Class (Upper Division) or 2:1 degree holder£1,000 (INR 1 Lakhs) if a Second Class (Lower Division) or 2:2 degree holder£500 (INR 50.24k) if a 3rd class degree holder|
|GREAT Scholarships||Upto £12,000 (INR 12.05 Lakhs).|
Student Visa For UK
To study in London, UK, you have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4]. You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer letter from university
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of funds
- Visa fee payment
- Additional requirements by the university
- After you’ve completed your masters, you would be allowed to stay in London if you hold a job offer with an annual salary of GBP 20800
- You need to switch to a Tier 2 general visa, which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies.
- You can qualify for permanent residence provided your income is at least £35000 (INR 35.17 Lakhs).
For more details, you can check out this blog on UK Post Study Work Visa.
This is was all the information you need about admissions at the Birmingham City University. If you have any questions or need help for admission, call us at our toll free number 1800572000.