The UK offers high-quality education with multiple universities ranking under 100, making it a hub for students wanting to pursue their study dream. But quality education is not the only criterion for choosing a university, affordability is also a major factor. A lot of students abstain from studying in the UK because of the high cost of living. But only a few of us know that there are affordable cities in the UK for international students which you must check out!
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in the UK?
- The United Kingdom is home to some of the best universities in the world like the University of Oxford, University College London, etc
- Numerous scholarships and financial aid are granted to students who have excellent academic performance including GREAT scholarships, Felix scholarships, etc
- Many students get an excellent opportunity to earn while they are pursuing their studies in the UK
- There is a shorter duration of the high-demand programs like MIM, MBA, MSc, MA. Unlike other countries, you can complete it in 1 year
- Students who graduate from top UK universities and institutes are most sought-after by many prospective employers and reputable companies
- Indians prefer to study in the UK because of the easy work permit access after graduation
Sheffield is the UK’s most affordable city as per the NatWest 2021 research with 60% green space in the city. The city is known to offer the most affordable education and leisure experience to their students. The city also has some of the most affordable universities where you can study.
|Expense||Cost per Month|
|Average Tuition Fees||£24,450 (INR 24,78,870)|
|Accommodation||£500 (INR 50,730)|
|Food shopping||£90 (INR 9,130)|
|Local transport||£65 (INR 6,590)|
|Books and printing||£45 (INR 4,565)|
|Internet and mobile phone||£40 (INR 4,060)|
|Social activities||£150 (INR 15,220)|
It is advisable to have a budget of £900 (INR 91310) (excluding tuition fees) to live in Sheffield.
Recent research by NatWest mentioned that Cambridge is the second most affordable city in the UK to live in with a Student Living Index (SLI) of 0.70. It also has the highest monthly income for students at £1340 (INR 91310).
- University of Cambridge
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Cambridge Regional College
- Westminster College
|Average Tuition Fees||£ 21,732 (INR 22,03,300)|
|Accommodation||£120 (INR 12,175) – £200 (INR 20,290) per week|
|Meals||£15 (INR 1,520) per meal|
|Local Transportation||£57 (INR 5,780) per month|
|Basic Requirements||£157 (INR 15,930) per month|
It is advisable to have a budget of £850 (INR 8624) (excluding tuition fees) to live in Cambridge.
Manchester is one of the most affordable cities in the UK and has been a student hub in the world due to amazing universities and ease of access to everything. One of the largest cities in the UK, Manchester offers something for everyone, whether you are looking for high-end areas or affordable ones. It is as expensive as any other European city.
- University of Manchester
- Manchester College
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Victoria University
- Loreto College
|Expense||Cost per Month|
|Average Tuition Fees||£21,000 (INR 21,29,090)|
|Accommodation||£700 (INR 71,080)|
|Meals||£100 (INR 10,150)|
|Local transport||£70 (INR 7,100)|
|Books and printing||£60 (INR 6,090)|
|Internet and mobile phone||£50 (INR 5,075)|
|Social activities||£250 (INR 25,385)|
It is advisable have a monthly budget of around £1000 (INR 101460) (excluding tuition fees) while living in Manchester.
The city of Birmingham has its cheap and expensive areas with Edgbaston and Mosley available at a reasonable price. As per Numbeo, comparing to the nearby city London, Birmingham is 63% cheaper than London.
|Expense||Cost per Month|
|Average Tuition Fees||£25,860 (INR 26,21,820)|
|Accommodation||£800 (INR 81060)|
|Food shopping||£100 (INR 10130)|
|Local transport||£72 (INR 7295)|
|Books and printing||£80 (INR 8105)|
|Internet and mobile phone||£50 (INR 5066)|
|Social activities||£200 (INR 20265)|
It is advisable that you have a monthly budget of around £1500 (INR 1,51,985) (excluding tuition fees) for living in Birmingham.
In research by TotallyMoney In 2018, Coventry has been ranked as the most affordable city in the UK. Since then, it has been ranking in top 5 affordable city surveys by the same organization. The city also hosts some of the most affordable universities in the UK.
- University of Warwick
- Coventry University
- Coventry College
- CU Coventry
|Expenses||Cost per Month|
|Average Tuition Fees||£15,000|
|Accommodation||£550 (INR 55775)|
|Food shopping||£100 (INR 10140)|
|Local transport||£50 (INR 5070)|
|Books and printing||£50 (INR 5070)|
|Internet and mobile phone||£40 (INR 4050)|
|Social activities||£100 (INR 10140)|
Wolverhampton has lower than average living expenses. Student housing options are extremely affordable and the cheapest in the UK. The city also houses some of the best universities that offer affordable education.
- University of Wolverhampton
- Telford College
- Harper Adams University
|Expenses||Cost per month|
|Average Tuition Fees||£12,950|
|Accommodation||£560 (INR 56790)|
|Meal||£10 (INR 1010) per meal|
|Local transport||£150 (INR 15210)|
|Internet and mobile phone||£30 (INR 3040)|
How to Apply?
The application process for UK universities for undergraduate courses, postgraduate courses, and PhD is slightly different from universities around the world.
- UG admissions take place through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) and in some cases, through direct applications.
- For this, you need to register and fill your application on the UCAS website
- Most UK universities accept applications verified through UCAS while some universities like the University of Brighton or the University of St Andrews even accept direct applications from students.
- PG and PhD applicants can directly apply to the university.
Do you wish to study at any of these affordable cities in the UK? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu and we will help you throughout the process from your selecting the best university and course to visa. Book your FREE Counselling session now or simply call us at 1800 57 2000.