Choosing the best city for your academic years is a crucial decision. After all, what good is a good university if its surroundings don’t match it? The United Kingdom has once again won the title of “Best Country to Study.” However, choosing which UK location to study might be a time-consuming process. When choosing a university, there are numerous aspects to consider, including the quality of education, employment opportunities, tuition and fees, diversifications, lifestyles, and much more. In this blog, we will cover all the factors that will help choose the Best Student Cities in the United Kingdom.
Must Read: Best Universities in UK
This Blog Includes:
Best Student Cities in the United Kingdom
Below we have listed the five best cities to study in the UK. The list has been created based on specific criteria such as the University Ranking, the diversity of students, affordability from students’ point of view.
Let us see why these are the best student cities in the United Kingdom:
There are no rewards for guessing which city is ranked first on our list. London is home to 17 of the UK’s greatest institutions, as well as the world’s second-highest concentration of top-ranked universities in a single city. That’s not all, though. London is also regarded as the top student city in the globe, not only in the United Kingdom.
- Education – There are around 40 universities in this city that provide courses in a variety of areas. Undergraduate, postgraduate, and foundational education is of excellent quality, with numerous universities receiving gold awards for teaching excellence. There are many excellent universities to pick from, including Brunel University, City University, and Middlesex University.
- Employment – London is the world’s financial hub, with a plethora of job opportunities. Unilever, HDFC, and the BBC are just a few of the well-known companies that have their headquarters here. With so much exposure, you may do internships while you’re still in school and get a head start on your career.
- Lifestyle – London is a never-sleeping cultural capital. You’ll never run out of things to do in your spare time, whether it’s silent art galleries or vigorous rock climbing activities. You can also feed your inner foodie by visiting one of the many restaurants that are open 24 hours a day and provide delectable cuisines. The city’s transportation system highlights an underground rail system and buses that run throughout the city.
- Best Universities in London
London has of the best universities include:
- Cost of Studying in London: The average annual cost of studying in London is estimated to be at least £13,200 (INR 11 Lacs)
Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital, has been named 16th in QS’s global student city rating. It is one of the greatest UK cities for Indian students because of its rich past and present diversity. Students who have studied here praise the city’s blend of natural beauty, history, world-class facilities, and diversity.
- Education – It is home to six international universities, including the University of Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier University.
- Employment Opportunities – The integrated connection between academics and industrial experience is a typical feature of all Edinburgh universities. After graduation, you will have the opportunity to work for top organizations in Edinburgh, such as Skyscanner and the Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Lifestyle – Edinburgh has something for everyone, from climbing the historic volcano (Arthur’s Seat) to shopping along the Royal Mile. It is a metropolitan city nestled amid nature.
- Best Universities in Edinburgh
Edinburgh has some famous universities such as:
- Cost of Studying in Edinburgh: The average annual cost of studying in Edinburgh is estimated to be at least £10,000 (INR 8 Lacs)
Must Read: Is It Possible to Study MBA Below 20000 GBP?
Manchester is one of the most populous student cities in the UK, with over 100,000 international students. It is one of the top 25 student cities in the United Kingdom. It is a large city with a diverse and accepting ethnic society, and it is one of the greatest areas for Indian students to live in the UK. Manchester is described by students as a “smaller, cheaper, and friendlier London.”
- Education – Manchester is more than just a lovely location to live. It also offers excellent worldwide education. The University of Salford and Manchester Metropolitan University are two of the best educational institutions in the city.
- Employment Opportunities – Manchester is a prominent economic hub in the United Kingdom. Manchester is home to many worldwide corporations, including Kellogg’s and Adidas. This experience will help you advance in your profession.
- Lifestyles – The city is famous for its rock bands (Oasis, The Smiths) and football clubs (Manchester United, Manchester City Football), but the fun doesn’t stop there. As one of the liveliest cities, there are several clubs and restaurants to visit. It also helps that it is one of the more cost-effective cities.
- Best Universities in Manchester
Manchester is home to some of the best universities in the UK, such as:
- Cost of Studying in Manchester: The average annual cost of studying in Manchester is estimated to be at least £16,000 (INR 14 Lacs)
Also Read: Cost of Studying in UK for Indian Students
Next on the list of the best UK cities for students is Scotland’s main port city. It is one of the most popular cities among Indian students because of its modern culture, high educational standards, and friendly residents. Glasgow is also one of the UK’s top hubs for research and academics, as well as entertainment and culture; thus, it gets a lot of points for “student mix.”
- Education – Glasgow is an expert in the field of education. After all, Glasgow’s universities have been teaching since the 15th century, with the University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde, and Glasgow Caledonian University among the city’s forerunners.
- Employment Opportunities – Glasgow has its fair share of successful multinational firms. Still, it’s also becoming a hotbed for entrepreneurs: Clyde Space, Data Lab, and Mind Mate are just a few of the many startups you can join in jumpstarting your career, making it one of the top cities for students in the UK.
- Lifestyle – This is a vibrant Scottish city that Rough Guide has dubbed the friendliest city in the world. It has also been designated as a UNESCO Music City. You can also participate in various activities, such as watching athletic events or relaxing at one of the local parks.
- Best Universities in Glasgow
Glasglow has some of the best institutions like:
- Studying in Glasgow: The average annual cost of studying in Glasgow is estimated to be at least £12,000 (INR 10 Lacs)
Coventry is a student-heavy city. University students make up 6.8% of the population, with 40% of them being international students. As a result, while a foreigner, you will be surrounded by many international students as you explore. The city’s closeness to the University of Warwick helps to indicate a “student view.” Students in Coventry spend their free time at a variety of art galleries and theatres.
- Education – Nearly 42% of its students are from outside the United Kingdom, making it an incredibly varied place to study.
- Employment opportunities – This is the land of automobiles. Rolls-Royce and Jaguar Land Rover are two of the most well-known luxury car manufacturers in the world. However, if you don’t want to work in the automotive industry, there are plenty of other options at firms like Cognizant Technology Solutions, KM&T, and others.
- Lifestyle – Coventry appeals to both your adventurous and artistic sides. Sporting events such as ice hockey and rugby are held in the city centre. The Warwick Art Centre also hosts music events by bands such as Coldplay. There are also many historical monuments to see, such as Coventry Cathedral and St. Mary’s Guildhall, as well as old pubs to visit. It is one of the best UK cities for Indian students because of its quaint appeal and vast student population.
- Best Universities in Coventry
Two of the UK’s best universities, with proud traditions and a modern approach to learning are
- Cost of Studying in Coventry: The average annual cost of studying in Coventry is estimated to be at least £16,000 (INR 14 Lacs)
Cheapest Cities in UK to Study
- Newcastle Upon Tyne
Also Read: MBA Colleges in UK
What Makes the UK a Preferable Country to Study?
There are various reasons why students choose the UK as the right destination to pursue their studies. Below, we list down some of the reasons:
Quality of Education
The United Kingdom has a long history of offering high-quality education. Regulators audit and review universities and educational institutions regularly to ensure that all set benchmarks are met. Professional bodies may also review individual departments within an institute to help influence the curriculum.
Students from all over the world, not only Indians, prefer to study in the UK since three of the world’s top ten universities are located here. Therefore, a degree from a UK university will be recognized all around the world. The employability quotient is also very high, especially if you have a degree from a well-known UK university.
Studying in the United Kingdom offers a diverse range of courses to pick from. In Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and England, approximately 150,000 courses are provided by colleges and universities. Students can also request a prospectus directly from the institutes.
The education system in the United Kingdom is highly interactive, with lecturers and students freely communicating with one another, allowing students to combine multiple courses into a single study program.
Health Care for Students
When you are enrolled in a full-time study course in the UK, the National Health Service (NHS) provides free medical treatment to Indian students. If you live with your husband, partner, or dependents during your study program, you may also be excluded from certain costs.
Financial Aid Available
Almost any overseas student concerned about high tuition prices can apply for scholarships, particularly at the postgraduate and research levels.
Also Read: MS in UK: Your Masters Guide
In this blog, we saw the 5 Best Student Cities in the United Kingdom, which an aspirant can think of when planning their studies in the United Kingdom. We hope this blog was helpful to you. Still unsure which city to choose to study in the UK? Or are you worried about selecting the right course for your future? Then, connect with Leverage Edu for a counseling session. We have some best-trained experts who can help you in choosing the right path.