According to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the United Kingdom welcomed over 5 lakh, international students, in the year 2019-20. One of the most popular programs amongst students offered by UK universities is MPhil. A Master of Philosophy (MPhil) is a research-based program offered for the duration of one-two years in a wide range of courses.
|Course||MPhil/Master of Philosophy|
|Degree Type||Postgraduate Research Degree|
|Duration of Course||Full-time: 1-2 years
Part-time: 4-5 years
|Average Cost||Full time : £13,000–£16,000 a year ( Rs.13,15, 691 – Rs. 16, 19, 312)
Part Time : £6,500–£8,000 a year ( Rs. 65,7845 – Rs. 80, 9656)
|Average Salary after MPhil||£ 35,000- £ 55,000 (Rs. 35,42,248 – Rs. 55,66,390)|
|Popular Specialisations||Philosophy, Cultural Studies, Linguistics, Political Science, Anthropology|
This Blog Includes:
Top Reasons to Study MPhil in UK
MPhil is one of the best programs offered by the UK universities. It acts as stepping stone for students who wish to understand research methodology and thesis work. Here are 5 reasons to study MPhil in UK-
- A degree from UK universities is highly valued and respected around the world and certainly ramps up your resume. It increases employability both within and outside the UK.
- UK universities offer students a wide variety of MPhil specializations to choose from. This provides the students with the freedom to specialize in a subject area that suits their interests and passion.
- MPhil programs provide a foundation for research students aspiring to pursue PhD programs. It prepares students for vigorous research work and instills knowledge of research methodology.
- Another reason to pursue MPhil in the UK is financial aid. International students have access to a range of scholarships, fellowships and bursaries to fund their research work.
- The academic environment in the UK is designed to be practical and challenging in nature. MPhil students get the opportunity to conduct their own independent research with the help of professional mentors who belong to reputable academic backgrounds.
Also Read : Why Do Indians Prefer to Study in UK?
Top MPhil Specialisations in UK
One of the greatest reasons for pursuing an MPhil from the UK lies in the array of specializations offered by top universities. Students can choose from streams like humanities, natural sciences or engineering. Let’s look at a list of MPhil specializations that are offered by the reputable universities of UK:
- Cultural Studies
- Linguistics, Philology, and Phonetics
- Political Science
- Media and Communication
- Mathematical Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Art and Design
- Environmental Science
- Financial Management and Accounting
- Marketing and PR
- Science and Technology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Dermatological Sciences
- Clinical Psychology
- Human Geography and Urban Studies
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Computer Science
- Human Resource Management
- English Studies
- Animal Sciences
Select the best courses for your profile using the AI Course Finder
Duration of MPhil in UK
Most universities based in the UK offer full-time MPhil programs for a period of 1 to 2 years. Students also have the option of a part-time MPhil for a period of 4 to 5 years. Additionally, if you have registered for an MPhil course within a PhD program, the duration of the course is 1 to 1.5 years. During the program, students are required to submit proper coursework along with a thesis consisting of original research of around 25,000 to 50,000 words.
Must Read : Scholarships for Indian Students to Study in UK
Cost of Studying MPhil
The cost of an MPhil program in the UK varies depending on your place of origin as well as whether you plan to study full-time or part-time.
|Course Duration||Average Fees|
|Full-time for International Students||£13,000-£16,000 (Rs 13,17,531- 16,21,577)|
|Part-time for International Students||£6,500- £7,000(Rs 6,58,676- Rs 7,09,351)|
|Full-Time for EU/USA students||£4,000–£5,000(Rs.4,04,828-Rs. 5,06,035)|
|Part-time for EU/USA students||£2,000–£3,000(Rs. 2,02,414- Rs. 3,03,621)|
Click here to Calculate the Cost of Living and Studying in UK
Eligibility Criteria for MPhil in UK
The entry requirements to study MPhil in the UK depends on the university and course. Many students who are enrolled in PhD programs at UK universities initially register for the MPhil degree before transferring back to the PhD program upon successful completion of the first year of study. On the contrary, a PhD student may also transfer to an MPhil program or be awarded the degree of MPhil if they do not meet the requirements for the award of a PhD.
Now, some of the common eligibility criteria for pursuing an MPhil in the UK include:
- A first-class or second-class honors undergraduate degree or an overseas equivalent in a subject relevant to your proposed research program.
- Research work at the postgraduate level (which must include some research training) undertaken for the equivalent of at least one year full-time.
- A GPA of at least 3.5 out of 4 or above.
- Students are required to submit scores of the IELTS or TOEFL test for Language proficiency. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall or 90 in TOEFL (iBT)
- Research proposal for the programme
Also Read : What are the Requirements to Study in UK
Students are required to submit a long list of documents that will secure their entry into the MPhil programs of the universities of the UK. The essential documents are as follows:
- An updated CV in the correct format
- Copy of Passport or Visa (if available)
- A research proposal of at least 1000 to 1500 words
- Academic transcripts and certificates
- Certificate of English proficiency – IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Test/Duolingo
- Personal Statements
- Reference Letters
- A formal application form
Top Universities Offering MPhil
MPhil is one of the most popular programs in the UK and most top universities offer this program for students who wish to hone their research skills and methodology. If you wish to apply to the UK then connect with our Leverage Edu expert and get a free profile evaluation in under 30 minutes.
|Name of the University||Courses Offered||Explore|
|University of Cambridge||MPhil in Medieval History
MPhil in Architecture and Urban Studies
MPhil in Politics and International Studies
|University of Oxford||MPhil in Developmental Studies
MPhil in Law
MPhil in Economics
|University of Sussex||MPhil in Social and Political Thought
MPhil in Journalism Studies
|University College London||MPhil in Anthropology
MPhil in Environmental Design and Engineering
MPhil in Information Studies
|University of Edinburgh||MPhil in Creative Arts, Design and Illustration
MPhil in Architecture
MPhil in Biology and Life Sciences
|University of Manchester||MPhil in Business and Management
MPhil in History
MPhil in Mechanical Engineering
|University of Warwick||MPhil in Intercultural Communication
MPhil in Linguistics
MPhil in Media and Communication
|University of Leeds||MPhil in Music
MPhil in English Studies
|King’s College London||MPhil in Bioinformatics
MPhil in Defense Studies
MPhil in Culture, Media and Creative Industries
|University of Liverpool||MPhil in Biological Sciences
MPhil in Electrical Engineering and Electronics
MPhil in History
|University of Birmingham||MPhil in Social Work and Social Care
MPhil in Accounting
MPhil in Earth Sciences
MPhil in Finance
MPhil in Marketing
1- Year MPhil in UK
MPhil in the UK is generally offered as a 2-year program that includes a thesis and oral examination. However, there are some universities that offer one-year MPhil programs in UK such as:
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- University of Birmingham
- University of Manchester
- University of Greenwich
- UCL (University College London)
- Birkbeck, University of London
- SOAS University of London
Must Read: 10 Biggest Culture Shocks in the UK
MPhil Scholarships in UK
- Gates Scholarships at Cambridge
- GREAT Scholarships
- Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships
- A.S. Hornby Trust Scholarship
- Chevening Fellowships
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship
After completing an MPhil degree from reputed UK universities, students have a higher chance of employability in a career of their choice. The average salary for MPhil graduates across fields:
|Specialization||Average Salary (per annum)|
|Data Analyst||£37,867 ( Rs. 38,32,409)|
|Economist||£37,634 (Rs. 38,08,828 )|
|Software Developer||£34,934 (Rs. 35,35,568 )|
|Marketing Manager||£36,916 (Rs. 37,36,161 )|
|Research Consultant||£29,593 ( Rs. 29,94,920 )|
|Executive Producer||£46,889 (Rs. 47,45,499 )|
|Petroleum Engineer||£57,653 ( Rs. 58,34,893 )|
|Managing Editor||£47,869 (Rs. 48,44,682 )|
|Account Manager||£35,485 (Rs. 35,91,334 )|
|Pharmacist||£27,877 (Rs. 28,21,350 )|
|Design Architect||£41,859 (Rs. 42,36,428 )|
|Journalist||£26,285 (Rs. 26,60,228 )|
|Chief Executive Officer||£142,833 (Rs. 1,44,55,714 )|
MPhil vs PhD in UK
An MPhil is a postgraduate research degree that allows you to develop similar skills to a PhD. It involves an independent project (40,000 words) and an oral examination to defend your thesis. The duration of an MPhil program is one to two years whereas a PhD in UK is offered for three to four years. Students are required to submit a dissertation and submit an oral examination to defend their thesis. It is the highest degree awarded by any university.
|Course||Master of Philosophy (MPhil)||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)|
|Duration||1-2 years||3-4 years|
|Courses||Management, Finance, Accounting, Social Work, Political Science, Psychology, etc||Economics, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Social Work, Management, Business, etc|
|Degree||Research-Oriented Degree||Highest Ranking Degree|
Both are research-based degrees. An MPhil prepares students for research work and is ideally taken before taking a PhD in UK. Many universities offer MPhil as a gateway to PhD programs.
The duration of an MPhil in UK is one-two years in UK. Most universities offer 2 year MPhil programs while there are some like OXford, Cambridge, Manchester, Birkbeck that offer 1 year MPhil programs in UK
MPhil is the highest awarded masters degree in the country. Many students opt for MPhil to prepare for PhD and learn research skills, critical and writing skills.
A first-class or second-class honors undergraduate degree or an overseas equivalent in a subject relevant to your proposed research program.
Planning to pursue an MPhil in the UK? Book a free session with our Leverage Edu expert to secure an admit to top universities in the country!