Most of your career choices are visioned upon your childhood dreams. However vague or unrealistic it may sound to our parents that time, we used to be firm about our choices. But, as we grow up, the world transforms and so does our choices. Your career choices need to be attainable and distinct in nature to create a better opportunity for you. The very first step for building a good career is choosing the right stream. Often students are seen getting confused amongst the various CBSE subjects for class 11. Peer pressure and misconceptions about stream selection are the two common factors resulting in wrong decision making. Here’s a comprehensive blog for young students to understand the different streams available after class 10th and their corresponding subjects.
This Blog Includes:
What are the Stream Available in Class 11th?
The students aim to choose a career, they’ll be happy in for the rest of their lives. And to help them lay the foundation in their academic career, CBSE offers 3 stream options which determine the subjects you will study in your class 11th and 12th.
Let’s take a look at the 3 main streams available for students in class 11th:
Detailed Study of CBSE Subjects for Class 11
It is important to decide your future path at this stage itself and choose the relevant subjects accordingly.
Students who have been constant in scoring decent grades often hear the suggestion of choosing Science as their major stream in class 11th, that would help them build a professional career in Medical, Engineering and other interdisciplinary careers after 12th. But what exactly is ‘Science’? Often known as a study of the physical and the natural world, it includes several scientific principles and their practical application in the real world.
The 4 primary subjects in Science stream are Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. Among other subjects, English is mandatory while other languages subject like Hindi is left for choice. Various other optional subjects include Computer Science, Informatics Practices, Economics, Psychology, Biotechnology, Home Science, Fine Arts, Engineering Drawing, Physical Education, to name a few. Moreover, are practical labs along with theory, which calls for a lot of hard work to gain subject-specific knowledge.
The science stream has the following 2 branches offering major CBSE subjects for Class 11
|Non-Medical||Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English and other optional subject.|
|Medical||Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English and other optional subject.
*sometimes students opt for choosing to study Mathematics in place of the optional subject (PCBM)
Students opting for Science CBSE subjects for class 11 can build a career in diverse fields such as Medicine, Bioinformatics, Metallurgy, Computer Science, Genetics, Space Exploration, Forensic Science, Dental Science, Biochemistry, Metallurgy, Biotechnology and the list is endless.
- Career in Science Stream
- Career in Science after 12th
- Career Options after 12th Science PCM Other than Engineering
Commerce stream has its own fight against the myth that only average students opt for this Stream, although it has evidently shown out to be ahead of this thinking. On a broader scale, Commerce is a field which relates to a deep study of trade, business and finance. The stream equips the students with the knowledge of goods and services, financial transactions, business operations and the economical working of the country. Students with strong mathematics and analytical abilities can opt for Commerce as their main stream after 10th.
The main subjects in Commerce stream are Accountancy, Business Studies, Economics and English while Mathematics is an optional subject. Other elective subjects include Informatics Practices, Physical Educational, Computer Science, Entrepreneurship, Psychology, Legal Studies, Multimedia and Web Technology and Fine Arts.
Here’s a table to understand the following Commerce subjects for Class 11 in detail:
|Accountancy||It covers the topics related to transactions, cash books, trial balance, expenditure, trading, profit, etc. Students will study ways to manage the income and finance of an individual or a business. Also, you will learn how to make a balance sheet.|
|Business Studies||This subject studies the different types of businesses and organizations; business models; business finance and international trade; private and public sector companies, etc.|
|Economics||Economics teaches you about economic development, demand and supply, statistical tools, government budget and economy, etc.|
With a natural inclination towards mathematics and analytics, you can build a highly lucrative and financially rewarding career in field in Chartered Accountancy (CA), Company Secretary (CS), Management, Economics, Actuarial Science, Bank PO, Finance, Investment Banking, Stockbroking, Law, Entrepreneurship, Hotel Management, etc.
- Commerce with Maths Stream
- Career Options for Commerce Students
- Career Options in Commerce Without Maths
- Courses after 12th Commerce without Maths
Humanities or Arts
In the past few decades, the humanities stream has been totally misunderstood by the people considering it to be the stream for those with poor academic performance. Overcoming the false misconception, Arts has now grown to be a popular choice among students.
While the core Arts CBSE subjects for Class 11 include History, Geography, Political Science and English, you can choose your elective subject from a range of Arts subjects in class 11 Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Fine Arts, Literature Subjects, Home Science, Physical Education, etc.
You can also choose to study other language subjects like Hindi, Sanskrit, and French, as an elective subject.
The scope of career in the Humanities stream can range anything from civil services or IAS officer to more subject-oriented graduation. There are other technical courses like B.Arch./BCA and courses in law and management, for you to explore.
CBSE Syllabus for Class 11
Whether you opt for Science, Commerce or Arts in class 11, the syllabus is an essential part of the curriculum. Check out the following blogs that cover the syllabus for different subjects taught in class XIth:
Tips to Choose CBSE Subjects for Class 11
1. Self-assessment: Till the time students are in class 10th, they should have a list of their field of interests keeping in mind their strengths and weaknesses. Self-assessment is a great weapon for self-realization. Before you actually select your CBSE subjects for class 11, is it important for you to research the different subjects and how will they contribute to shape your career.
2. Explore New Subjects: Emerging at a higher level brings new concepts with increasing difficulty level, even though we are taught the basics and few elements of all these subjects. All you need to do is, be mentally prepared to face new challenges, at the same remain excited to explore your chosen stream.
3. Keep in Mind Your Long-term Career Goals: This might be a little difficult for you to think of, at this point, but planning your career is very important while choosing your stream. To decide your career path you should find out the answer to the questions like – Do you prefer to work in a routine or are you someone looking for flexibility? Are you a person who likes working in teams or independently? Are you willing to grow in a research-oriented field or join as a manager in some top MNC. Sit back and answer these to analyse your aspirations.
4. Seek Career Advice: Depending upon your behavioural skills, interests and difficulties you can share the insight of your personality and can get an output in your struggle of choosing CBSE Subjects after class 11th.
Also Read: Science vs Commerce
You need to always remember that, choosing the right stream and corresponding CBSE subjects for class 11 is crucial for every student. There has been a tremendous change in our society when only engineering and medical were considered to be a bright career option for the youth. Today, you have endless fields to explore, each providing ample career opportunities. When you’re choosing your stream, you need to ensure that you keep your aspirations and interests intact while making a rational decision. For a piece of hassle-free advice regarding your career call us at Leverage Edu, our experts will help you out to carve the best possible career for you depending upon your choices and interests.