A career in Biotechnology revolves around understanding the working of living organisms at the molecular level and their genetic make-up. This essentially forms a crucial connection between biosciences and technology. With rewarding career avenues both in research as well as industrial applications, biotechnology is steadily attracting individuals from all corners of the world. Read on to know more about the prevalent Biotechnology courses, top universities and how you can apply for them.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Biotechnology?
- Types of Biotechnology Courses
- Biotechnology Courses: Admission & Application
- Scope of Biotechnology
- Biotechnology Courses: BSc Top Colleges in India
- Biotechnology Courses: BTech Top Colleges in India
- BSc Biotechnology vs BTech Biotechnology
- The Application Process in India
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology Engineering is an emerging discipline of engineering which is a combined education of engineering and biology for research & development. . Experts of biotechnology study its applications in the sectors of environment, animal genetics, microbiology, immunology, medical genetics and a host of other disciplines.
|Biotechnology = Biology + Technology|
Types of Biotechnology Courses
Universities offering Biotechnology courses delve into the specialized study of the mechanics of this field with the aim of developing a solid foundation in individuals. Further, higher-level courses focus on a particular aspect of biotechnology such as cell biology, genomics, damage and repair in biological systems, stem cells, regeneration and ageing and so forth. Students are also offered a range of electives to diversify the knowledge gained along with encouraging them to participate in seminars, workshops, and training.
- Undergraduate Degree Programs [3-5 years]: Designed to introduce students to the basics of biotechnology, its components, and applications, undergraduate-level Biotechnology courses like BSc Biotechnology, combines a bit of both theoretical knowledge and research inquiry. Further, opportunities for hands-on training under a professor, at research institutions or at enterprises help in knowing its applications. Topics generally covered include microbiology, health product regulation, animal physiology, organic chemistry, molecular genetics, pharmaceutical development, bioethics, etc. A high school qualification in a combination of physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics is recommended.
- Postgraduate Degree Programs [1-3 Years]: An MSc Biotechnology, MA in Biotechnology, and a dual and joint degree program are the most favoured graduate courses in this field. Dealing with advanced topics related to the sector as well as allied fields, postgraduate Biotechnology courses are designed to equip students with the necessary methods of critical analysis, data analysis and interpretation and research tools. Laboratory experiments and field studies also form an integral part of the curriculum. Topics include protein chemistry, glycomics, metabolomics, bioprocessing, bioinformatics, etc. Undergraduate degrees in a biology-related course is recommended.
- Doctoral Degree Programs [Highly Varies]: Amongst many, PhD in Biotechnology courses are extremely advanced and are research-oriented. Usually undertaken by a handful of individuals, the degree program opens the door to an array of career opportunities in various fields. It involves heavy usage of research tools, survey methods, and statistical software.
Related Articles: BSc Microbiology Syllabus
Several institutions across the globe offer highly rated Biotechnology courses attracting scores of international students. The range of courses offered to extend from traditional degree programs, as discussed, to short term courses like graduate certificates or diplomas. Further, you can also explore dual degree options combining disciplines of Management, Engineering and even Social Sciences. Glance over the following rank-wise list of universities which you can consider:
|Name of University||Location||THE Rankings 2021||Biotechnology Courses|
|Harvard University||USA||3rd||Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology Management|
|Imperial College London||UK||5th||1. BSc Biotechnology (Hons)
2. BSc Biotechnology with French for Science (Hons)
3. MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering with Biotechnology
4. MSc Applied Biosciences & Biotechnology
|University of Pennsylvania||USA||13th||Masters of Biotechnology|
|Columbia University||USA||15th||MA in Biotechnology|
|University of Toronto||Canada||18th||1. BSc Biotechnology (Hons)
2. BSc Molecular Biology & Biotechnology (Hons)
3. Master of Biotechnology
|University of Edinburgh||UK||30th||1. BSc Biological Sciences (Biotechnology) (Hons)
2. MSc Biotechnology
3. PG Diploma Biotechnology
4. Ph.D. in Quantitative Biology, Biochemistry & Biotechnology
|The University of Melbourne||Australia||31st||1. Bachelor of Biomedicine [Major in Biotechnology]2. Bachelor of Science [Major in Biotechnology]3. Master of Biotechnology|
Related Articles: MSc Colleges
Biotechnology Courses: Admission & Application
Students must bear in mind that in order to study abroad their choice of Biotechnology courses, they are required to submit an application at the concerned university’s portal complete with all the mentioned materials. Typically, this includes submission of official SAT/GRE/GMAT and IELTS/TOEFL scores, Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letters of Recommendation (LOR), official previous university transcripts, resume or CV and research proposal [if required], amongst others.
Scope of Biotechnology
Scope of Biotechnology: It revolves around various biological systems with technology to develop products or processes. The outcomes of biotechnology help in addressing many problems across many industries. The sphere of biotechnology includes:
- Medical Biotechnology – It implies it applications in the field of the healthcare industry.
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology – It deals with therapeutic elements that resulted in the surge of biotech companies involved in the pharmaceutical sector.
- Plant Biotechnology – In this, biotechnology helps to bring a vital source of many raw materials and food on earth.
- Food Biotechnology – It surmounts the difficulties in food production, food processing, and food preservation.
- Environment Biotechnology – It aims to restore the balance between nature, ecology, and human interest.
Biotechnology Courses: BSc Top Colleges in India
There are wide varieties of BSc biotechnology program offered in top institutes which are given below:
- JMI, New Delhi
- Fergusson College, Pune
- St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad
- Banasthali Vidyapeeth, Jaipur
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Mumbai University, Mumbai
- Christ University, Bangalore
- The New College, Chennai
- KJC, Banglore
Biotechnology Courses: BTech Top Colleges in India
Listed down are the top-ranking institutes in India that offer Btech in Biotechnology:
- Manav Rachna Institute of Research and Studies
- IIT Delhi
- Delhi Technological University
- Netaji Subhash University of Technology
- NIIT University, Neemrana
- Amity University, Gurgaon
BSc Biotechnology vs BTech Biotechnology
Both BSc and Btech are specialized courses in the field of biotechnology. However, there’s a slight difference between them:
|Parameter||BSc Biotechnology||Btech Biotechnology|
|Overview||Focus on Cellular & Biomolecular processes||Focus on theory & practicality in the areas like Biological Chemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Analytical Techniques & Bioinformatics.|
|Course Duration||3 years||4 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed 10 + 2Physics, Chemistry, Biology compulsory.||Passed 10 + 2Physics, Chemistry, Biology compulsory.|
|Job Roles||Lecturer, Marketing Manager, Biotech Product Analyst, Research Scientist, etc||Maintenance Engineer, Service Engineer, Export & Import Specialist, Biotechnological expert, etc.|
|Average Fees||USD 689 – USD 2758||USD 1655 – USD 14,482|
|Average Salary||USD 4137 – USD 11,034||USD 5517 – USD 9655|
The Application Process in India
- Aspirants seekings admission in biotechnology courses must have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam. Also, they need to have Physics, Chemistry, Biology as core subjects. A minimum of 50% overall is required and 60% in each core subject. Both PCB & PCM candidates are eligible to reply.
- In some cases, candidates need to clear entrance exams such as DUET, KITTEE, SAAT, etc.
- It is a university or college-level exam.
Also Consider: MSc Bioinformatics
We understand that the selection of a particular field amongst the plethora of Biotechnology courses is a demanding job let alone applying for it. However, it is necessary that students choose a course based on their skills and abilities. The AI Course Finder tool at Leverage Edu offers a one-of-its-kind approach with respect to career selection. Through the personalized algorithmic mapping of your interests, it suggests combinations of courses and universities thereby helping you make an informed decision towards a vibrant career.