Breaking away from the emphasis laid on natural sciences in Science stream and business study in Commerce stream, Arts stream subjects focus solely on social sciences. While the schools have the freedom to offer as many electives, the core subjects in the curriculum remain History, Political Science and Geography along with Psychology, Sociology and Economics being offered in some schools. Further, many students take up Arts with Maths as well to pursue quantitative courses like BA Economics and Bachelor of Management Studies afterwards. Here we give a rundown to some of the major arts subjects in class 11 as covered in CBSE affiliated schools.
This Blog Includes:
One of the most important arts subjects in class 11, it introduces students to major historical events since the presence of humans in the world. This ranges from happenings in earliest civilisations, empires as well as into recent times of Western Europe in around 13th to 16th centuries, Industrial revolution, etc. The curriculum also emphasises on the development of skills of analysis, interpretation, pattern and conclusion-drawing. Map work in exam constitutes 4 marks and Project work constitutes 20 marks. Major topics include:
- Early Societies; Africa, Europe till 15000 BC; Early human beings and societies; Writing and City Life
- Roman Empire; Central Islamic Islands from 7th to 12th centuries;
- Nomadic Empires; Conquests and relations,
- 13th-16th Century Western Europe; Feudal society; State Formation
- Industrial Revolution; Displacing Indigenous People; Paths to Modernisation
Divided into two sections of ‘Indian Constitution at Work’ and ‘Political Theory’, the class 11 Political Science is considered as one of the trickiest arts subjects in Class 11. While both these sections carry 40 marks each, students also have to submit ‘Project Work’ of 20 marks. Major topics covered include:
- Indian Constitution: origin and Development; Rights & Duties; Elections; Pillars: Executive, Legislature and Judiciary; Federalism.
- Political Theory: Concept of Political Theory, Freedom, Equality, Justice [incl. Social Justice], Citizenship, Nationalism, Rights, Secularism, Peace and Development.
Paving the way towards courses like BSc Geology and Bachelor of Arts in Geography, this subject is counted amongst the most interesting of arts subjects in class 11. While its two sections of ‘Fundamentals of Physical Geography’ and ‘Physical Environment’ carry 35 marks each, the practical work amounts to 30 marks. Here are the major topics covered in the subject:
- Concept of Geography, Branches-Physical & Human; Earth: Origins, Components and Evolution; Earthquakes; Landforms; Climate: Atmosphere and other concepts; Oceans; Life
- Introduction to India’s Physical Environment; Major Regions; Weather & Climate, Forest Cover, Soil [incl.types]; Major Disasters in India: Floods, landslides, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunami, droughts.
Want Free Career Counselling? Click Here!
Like Geography, psychology is also made up of theory of 70 marks and practical work of 30 marks. This one of the popular arts subjects in class 11 serves as a foundation for pursuing the BSc Psychology course. What you can expect to learn while studying the subject are:
- Introduction to Psychology: As a Discipline/natural Science/Social Science; Enquiry Methods in Psychology; Human Mind & Behaviour, Evolution of Psychology, Branches of Psychology; Development of Psychology in India.
- Bases of Human behaviour: Biological basis,
- Human Development: Meaning, Context, Factors and Stages, etc
- Sensory, Attentional and Perceptual Process: Sense and Perception, Illusions, Socio-cultural influences.
- Learning; Human Memory; Thinking: nature & process; Motivation & Emotion: Introduction, Nature and Types, etc.
Divided into two parts of ‘Statistics of Economics’ and ‘Introductory Microeconomics’ of 40 marks each, the subject also comprises of 20 marks of project work. One of the trickiest yet most opted arts subjects in class 11, the different subheads in each part of the Economics class 11 have been stated below:
- Statistics: What is Economics and Statistics; Data Collection, Organisation and Presentation; Measures of Central Tendency; Correlation & Dispersion
- Introduction to Microeconomics: Introduction; Consumer’s Equilibrium and Demand; Producer Behaviour and Supply; Forms of Market and Price Determination under perfect competition
Note: For the latest information as well as any changes in the curriculum, you can also visit the CBSE academic website!
Arts Subjects in Class 11: Other Electives
In addition to the above-mentioned arts subjects in class 11, here are a few electives which you can expect to be offered at your school:
- Informatics Practices
- Physical Education
- Legal Studies
- Painting, Graphics, Sculpture, Applied Commercial Art
While the syllabus for arts subjects in class 11 is quite vast and focuses on multidisciplinary development, studying through a proper study plan can make it an enriching learning exercise. Needless to say, with the wide career opportunities this stream offers, it can get confusing about which profession to pursue. Take the assistance of experts at Leverage Edu through a free consultation session and kickstart your career in the right direction! Hurry up, click here for a FREE Consultation Session!