Biology is one of the most popular subjects of Science stream across the world. With an array of sub-branches, the scope of biology as a career has increased exponentially. However, the very first step to kickstart a successful career in this field is to choose the right combination of the stream at the higher secondary school level. While a combination of BiPC subjects is the most opted, you can also pursue MPC subjects with Biology at the higher secondary level to advance in this field. Out of all, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is one of the popular and most opted educational boards in India. With the aim of imparting extensive knowledge in various subjects, the board offers a very comprehensive syllabus across grades. But at times, many students are not able to attain complete knowledge of what the biology syllabus entails. Thus, this blog is a comprehensive summary of the class 11 biology syllabus, which provides a solid foundation for future courses.
This Blog Includes:
- Chapter 1: The Living World
- Chapter 2: Biological Classification
- Chapter 3: Plant Kingdom
- Chapter 4: Animal Kingdom
- Chapter 5: Morphology of Flowering Plants
- Chapter 6: Anatomy of Flowering Plants
- Chapter 7: Structural Organisation in Animals
- Chapter 8: Cell- The Unit of Life
- Chapter 9: Biomolecules
- Chapter 10: Cell Cycle and Cell Division
- Chapter 11: Transport in Plants
- Chapter 12: Mineral Nutrition
- Chapter 13: Photosynthesis in Higher Plants
- Chapter 14: Respiration in Plants
- Chapter 15: Plant- Growth and Development
- Chapter 16: Digestion and Absorption
- Chapter 17: Breathing and Exchange of Gases
- Chapter 18: Body Fluids and Circulation
- Chapter 19: Excretory Products and their Elimination
- Chapter 20: Locomotion and Movement
- Chapter 21: Neural Control and Coordination
- Chapter 22: Chemical Coordination and Integration
|1||Diversity of Living Organisms||The Living World
|2||Structural Organization in Plants and Animals||Morphology of Flowering Plants
Anatomy of Flowering Plants
Structural Organization in Animals
|3||Cell: Structure and Function||Cell: The Unit of LifeBiomolecules
Cell Cycle and Cell Division
|4||Plant Physiology||Transport in Plants
Photosynthesis in Higher Plants
Respiration in Plants
Plant: Growth and Development
|5||Human Physiology||Digestion and Absorption
Breathing and Exchange of Gases
Body Fluids and Circulation
Excretory Products and their Elimination
Locomotion and Movement
Neural Control and Coordination
Chemical Coordination and Integration
Unit 1: Diversity of Living Organisms
Chapter 1: The Living World
Under this chapter of the class 11 biology syllabus, the students will gain knowledge regarding the:
- Biodiversity persisting and its classifications
- Species and taxonomical hierarchy, and its tool for the study of taxonomy museums
- Binomial nomenclature
Chapter 2: Biological Classification
The class 11 biology syllabus, through this chapter, would clear all the concepts related to:
- Five kingdom classifications
- Protista and Fungi (Lichens, Viruses, And Viroids)
- Features and classifications of monera
Chapter 3: Plant Kingdom
Another important component of the class 11 biology syllabus is the plant kingdom. The chapter discusses the characteristics and classification of plants into larger groups and the classification, characteristics, and examples of Angiosperms.
Chapter 4: Animal Kingdom
This section of the Animal Kingdom will teach the students about the features, classifications, and examples of animals, non-chordates and chordates.
Unit 2: Structural Organization in Animal and Plants
Chapter 5: Morphology of Flowering Plants
Through this chapter of the class 11 biology syllabus, the students will learn about the Morphology, modifications, and the Internal morphology of different parts of flowering plants.
Chapter 6: Anatomy of Flowering Plants
The chapter of the anatomy of flowering plants, under the class 11 biology syllabus would clear all the concepts related to anatomy and functions of different tissues.
Chapter 7: Structural Organisation in Animals
Through this chapter of the class 11 biology syllabus, the students will be taught about various animal tissues along with the anatomy, morphology, and functions of different systems in an insect (cockroach).
Unit 3: Cell- Structure and Function
Chapter 8: Cell- The Unit of Life
Under this section of the class 11 biology syllabus, the concepts of cells will be cleared to the students through the following topics:
- Cell as a basic unit of life and its theory
- Plant and Animal Cell
- Cell (wall and membrane), and Nucleus
- Structure and function of Endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi bodies, mitochondria, cilia, etc.
Chapter 9: Biomolecules
The chemical components of living cells, types, properties and actions of Enzymes are the major topics that will be covered under this chapter.
Chapter 10: Cell Cycle and Cell Division
Under the class 11 biology syllabus, the students will learn about the concepts and significance of cell cycle, meiosis, and mitosis.
Unit 4: Plant Physiology
Chapter 11: Transport in Plants
Studying this chapter of class 11 will help the students clear their concepts regarding:
- Movement of water, nutrients, and gases
- Cell to cell transport, diffusion, plasmolysis, water transport, transpiration
- Stomata: opening and closing
- Translocation and uptake of mineral nutrients
Chapter 12: Mineral Nutrition
In this chapter of class 11 biology syllabus, concepts pertaining to the role of essential minerals, micro and macronutrients, mineral toxicity, nitrogen metabolism, cycle and fixation will be taught.
Chapter 13: Photosynthesis in Higher Plants
The students studying this chapter will be taught about the following concepts:
- Photosynthesis as Autotrophic Nutrition
- Pigments in Photosynthesis
- Cyclic and non-cyclic Photophosphorylation
Chapter 14: Respiration in Plants
This is a very detailed chapter that covers the topics like Exchange of gases, Cellular respiration, Amphibolic pathways, Respiratory quotient, etc.
Chapter 15: Plant- Growth and Development
Seed germination, the sequence of growth in a plant cell, growth regulators, seed dormancy, and photoperiodism are the key topics which are covered in this chapter of the class 11 biology syllabus.
Unit 5: Human Physiology
Chapter 16: Digestion and Absorption
Apart from the digestive glands and alimentary canal, the chapter will also impart knowledge on topics like calorific values and egestion.
Chapter 17: Breathing and Exchange of Gases
This chapter of the fifth unit would teach the students about:
- Respiration in humans
- Mechanism and regulation of breathing
Chapter 18: Body Fluids and Circulation
This module of the class 11 biology syllabus includes Composition, Coagulation of Blood; Function and Composition of Lymph; The Human Circulatory System; Regulation of Cardiac Activity.
Chapter 19: Excretory Products and their Elimination
Modes of excretion, Human excretory system, Kidney function, Dialysis and artificial kidney are major areas that will be taught under this chapter of the class 11 biology syllabus.
Chapter 20: Locomotion and Movement
This chapter about movement and locomotion teaches the students about the following topics:
- Types of movement
- Concept and functions of the skeletal system
- Disorders of the muscular and skeletal system
Chapter 21: Neural Control and Coordination
The students, through this chapter of class 11 biology syllabus will be taught about:
- Neuron and nerves
- The nervous system in humans
- Peripheral nervous system
- Nerve impulse- generation and conduction
- Reflex action
- Structure of eyes and ear
Chapter 22: Chemical Coordination and Integration
The last chapter of the class 11 biology syllabus consists of the enlisted topics:
- Hormones and glands
- Endocrine system of human
- Hormone action mechanism
- Role of hormones as regulators and messengers
- Hypo and hyperactivity disorders
Also Read: Physics Syllabus for Class 11
Thus, the biology syllabus for class 11 covers an array of topics that can be helpful when perusing higher education. Needless to say, with ample career opportunities in this field after class 12th, choosing the right university and course can be a daunting task. Take the assistance of the experts at Leverage Edu through a 30 minutes free career counselling session and get all your queries cleared!