Physics is a popular field when it comes to pursuing a career in Science after 12th. With its applications rooted in almost every Science field, the career prospects are innumerable. But the very first step in starting a career in this domain is to study MPC subjects or BiPC subjects, where Physics forms an integral part of both the options in higher secondary school. The Central Board of Secondary Education(CBSE), which is one of the most sought-after boards in India, provides students with a very comprehensive Physics syllabus for class 11 which helps in building a solid foundation for future courses. In this blog, we will shed light on the modules covered in the syllabus for class 11th.
This Blog Includes:
Strengthening the concepts developed in the Class 10th, the Physics syllabus for class 11 aims at providing the students with a strong foundation in the field and imparts extensive knowledge in the advanced concepts. If you are thinking that how many chapters are there in class 11 Physics then you must know that the Physics syllabus of class 11th is divided into 10 units, each consisting of chapters covering various facets of the field. Here is the CBSE Physics Class 11 exam structure which is followed by a summary of some of the most important units.
|Unit||Name of the Unit||Chapters|
|I||Physical World and Measurement||1 – Physical World|
2 – Units and Measurements
|II||Kinematics||3 – Motion in a Straight Line|
4 – Motion in a Plane
|III||Laws of Motion||5 – Laws of Motion|
|IV||Work, Energy and Power||6 – Work, Energy and Power|
|V||Motion of System of Particles |
and Rigid Body
|7 – System of Particles |
and Rotational Motion
|VI||Gravitation||8 – Gravitation|
|VII||Properties of Bulk Matter||9 – Mechanical Properties of Solids|
10 – Mechanical Properties of Fluids
11 – Thermal Properties of Matter
|VIII||Thermodynamics||12 – Thermodynamics|
|IX||Behaviour of Perfect Gases and Kinetic Theory of Gases||13 – Kinetic Theory|
|X||Oscillations and Waves||14 – Oscillations|
15 – Waves
Click Here to Register for a FREE Consultation Session!
Unit 1: Physical World and Measurement
Chapter 1- Physical World
Under this chapter of the Physics syllabus for class 11, the students will get to learn about:
- Physics-scope and excitement
- Nature of Physical Laws
- Physics, Technology and Society
Chapter 2- Units and Measurements
In the second chapter of the first unit of the Physics syllabus for class 11, the students will be familiarized with measurement principles through the topics like Units of measurement; systems of units; SI units, fundamental and derived units; length, mass and time measurements; errors in measurement; accuracy and precision of the instruments for measurement; significant figures. Additional topics like dimensions of physical quantities, dimensional analysis and its applications are also included in the syllabus.
Unit 2: Kinematics
Chapter 3- Motion in a Straight Line
The second unit of the Physics syllabus for class 11 includes the concepts of Frame of Reference; Motion in a straight line (position-time graph, velocity and speed); uniform and non-uniform motion; velocity-time and position-time graphs; uniformly accelerated motion; average speed and instantaneous velocity; relations for uniformly accelerated motion.
Chapter 4- Motion in a Plane
The students are made to understand the concepts of scalar and vector quantities through the topics like general vectors and their notations, position and displacement vectors, equality of vectors, multiplication of vectors by a real number, relative velocity, addition and subtraction of vectors, unit vector. Apart from this, concepts of vector though the resolution of a vector in a plane, rectangular components, scalar and vector products of vectors are also elucidated.
You can also make a Physics class 12 project on Convex Mirror and Lens!
Unit 3: Laws of Motion
Under this section of Physics syllabus for class 11, the main topics covered are:
- Newton’s three laws of motion
- Law of conservation of linear momentum
- Static and kinetic friction.
- Dynamics of uniform circular motion
Unit 4: Work, Energy and Power
Following are the key concepts included in this chapter of physics syllabus for class 11:
- Kinetic energy, work-energy theorem, power
- Work by a constant and variable force
- The notion of potential energy, the potential energy of a spring, conservative forces: conservation of mechanical energy (potential and kinetic energies)
- Non-conservative forces (motion in a vertical circle)
Here are the study notes on Current Electricity .
Unit 5: Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body
Take a look at some of the topics which constitute an integral part of this chapter of Physics syllabus for class 11: Centre of the mass of a two-particle system, momentum conservation and centre of mass motion; centre of mass of a uniform rod; moment of a force, comparison of linear and rotational motions; moment of inertia, values of moments of inertia for simple geometrical objects.
Unit 6: Gravitation
When it comes to the Physics syllabus for class 11, the students are taught various concepts in the domain of Gravitation. The most prominent of the topics include
- Kepler’s laws of planetary motion and universal law of gravitation
- Acceleration due to gravity
- Gravitational potential energy
- Escape velocity
- Geo-stationary Satellites
- Orbital velocity of Satellite
Class 11 Physics Important Questions for 2021-22
Here are some of the most important questions for each section of the physics syllabus for class 11:
- Explain: “The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible”- Albert Einstein.
- If “Politics is the art of the possible”, then similarly “Science is the art of the soluble. How does this statement explain the nature and practice of science?
- Explain the seven basic units of measurement.
- Describe the fundamental forces of nature.
- What do you mean by motion in a straight line?
- Calculate the relative velocity of two bodies with equal velocities.
- What would be the shape of the displacement time graph for uniform linear motion?
- What is the factor on which coefficient of friction depends?
- Write down any two consequences of the second law of motion by Newton.
- What is Dulong and Petit Law?
- State the major reason why thermometers use mercury.
- Define the relationship between uniform circular motion and S.H.M.
- Why does the velocity of sound increases on a cloudy day?
- Explain Hooker’s Law.
- Why is water more elastic than air?
- What is viscosity?
Q1: How many chapters are there in class 11 physics?
The Physics class 11 curriculum is divided into 2 books. The first book contains 8 chapters and the second book contains 7 chapters.
Q2: Is Class 11 Physics difficult?
Yes, class 11 Physics syllabus is considered as the toughest of all the subjects by various students. It is very difficult, complex and comprehensive in comparison to class 10t syllabus for Physics.
Q3: Which book is best for class 11th physics?
It is preferred to refer only the NCERT book for class 11 Physics preparation as it contains all the necessary topics. But sometimes, to the point language can be difficult to comprehend for the learners. In that case, you can refer to a guide or reference book like Pradeep for Physics. It can really help you understand the bulky concepts.
Q4: Is Physics harder than Chemistry?
Yes, Physics of class 11 and 12 is considered much tougher by the students when compared with chemistry. One of the major reasons for the same is bulky theorems and numericals.
Hence, the physics syllabus for class 11 includes topics that form a strong foundation for higher studies. Needless to say, these concepts come in handy when giving competitive tests like the SAT exam. Being the first step to kickstart your career, these exams need a well-planned strategy. If you feel you need to boost your preparation for SAT then enroll in Leverage Edu’s online SAT classes and take a step in the right direction!