A Chartered Accountant is a qualified professional who handles a wide range of responsibilities within the accountancy spectrum. CAs are always in demand due to their technical competence, veracity, and professional standards. Every company requires individuals who possess the incredible knowledge of financial laws and regulations and can handle the monetary issues without worrying about the legal ramifications that might jeopardize the business. A CA course is a professional degree that is offered by certified Chartered Accountancy bodies throughout the world and aims to equip students with complete knowledge of Financial Management and Auditing, Fiscal Laws, Regulations, Strategic Financial Management, Ethics, amongst others. Wondering How to become a chartered accountant? Find the answer through our blog!
This Blog Includes:
CA Course Duration
It generally takes 5 years to complete a CA course and is structured to help you gain footing in the finance industry. The course consists of numerous levels along with an Articleship program that has to be completed before becoming a certified CA. However, it is to be kept in mind that each country has its own set of requirements in terms of certificates and degrees to allow you to work as a CA.
Essential Details Pertaining to the CA Course
If you also want to know how to become a Chartered Accountant, then enlisted are some important details you need to keep in mind.
- Filing of corporate tax returns, auditing financial statements, and financial advising are some of the responsibilities of a Chartered Accountant.
- An essential benefit of pursuing a CA Course is that there is no age limit or a maximum number of attempts for this course.
- Any individual of any age can attempt the course any number of times to clear it. You can enroll in the course after 12th standard or after graduation.
- Students planning to pursue CA after graduation will be exempted from appearing for the initial entrance exam for the CA Course. However, you have to score a particular percentage to get into the course.
- Once you have cleared the specified levels, you are required to join Articleship for a definite period of time to gain experience and progress further.
- In the USA, CA is referred to as a Certified Public Accountant or CPA, or the course offered is related to finance and accounting and there are numerous organisations and governing bodies for CAs.
CA vs MBA Program
Students aspiring for a career in Finance and Accounting might get confused in choosing between a CA Course and an MBA. Although both the courses deal with similar subjects, there are various striking features that set them apart. Here is a table listing the major difference between these two:
|No. of Years||4-5 Years||2 Years|
|Subjects||Business Environment & Concepts,|
Attestation and Regulation, etc.
Accounting, Marketing, etc.
|Fee Structure||$900-$1000 |
64,000 INR-71,000 INR approx.
|Differs as per university/institute|
|Job Titles||Management Accounting, |
Sales heads, Operations, etc.
Institutes Offering CA Courses Across the Globe
There are numerous institutes that provide CA course or allied programs. These institutes are mainly the affiliated CA governing bodies of different countries around the world. Some of these institutes include:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ireland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Zimbabwe
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Srilanka
There are numerous career options you can discover after completing a CA Course. Some of the major areas offering numerous opportunities in this field include:
- Management Consultancy Services
- Pursue Civil/Government services
- Career in the Insurance Sector
- Investment Banking
In India, candidates interested in becoming a CA have to take take a series of exams conducted by ICAI. The three levels of CA Exam in India are the CA Foundation, CA IPCC (Integrated Professional Competence) Examination, and the CA Final. In order to get the CA certification, candidates need to clear all the levels. One can do this course after class 12th as well as after graduation. The ones who decide on becoming a CA after graduation are exempted from the CA foundation or the CPT Exam. Apart from that, the entire procedure remains the same for everyone.
There are a wide range of subjects that are covered under the CA course across different levels. Some of them have been a given a rundown below:
1. Auditing and Assurance
2. Business Economics
3. Cost Accounting and Financial Management
4. Direct and Indirect Tax
5. Financial Management
6. Auditing and Professional Ethics
7. Performance Evaluation
8. Information Technology
9. Corporate Laws
10. Strategic Management
11. Business Correspondence and Reporting
12. Logical Reasoning
Though having a command over mathematical concepts can make your CA preparation easier, it is not a mandatory subject to pursue CA.
Counted in the list of the toughest exams in the world, clearing CA is not an easy feat. However, by following some of the tips below, you can surely pass the exam with flying colours:
1. Go through the syllabus and previous year question papers in order to identify your strong and weak sections.
2. Formulate a time table accordingly.
3. Though all subjects are equally important, spend more time in practicing sample questions of those sections which you are weak at.
4. Study from limited and good resources so that your revision becomes easier.
5. Make notes on each chapter. This will boost your revision in the end.
6. Bifurcate the subjects into small sections and revise on a regular basis.
7. Eat healthy and nutritious food and exercise regularly to focus better.
Hopefully, this blog provided you with clarity about the CA Course. Regarded as one of the toughest courses around the world, cracking the various exams of CA can be a challenging process. Let Leverage Edu mentors help you master your preparation for these exams so that you can pass them with high scores and get closer to the rewarding career of CA.[faq]