The retail industry is one of the fastest-growing industries all over the world. With the advent of technology, people are now switching to online shopping which in turn has made this sector highly competitive. Thus, with the increase in the number of business establishments, the demand for trained retail professionals has also increased. To overcome the burden, many universities are now offering Retail Management courses. A sub-field of the general management program, these courses impart in-depth knowledge in areas like marketing strategies, product development, merchandising, brand management, sales, and human resource management. In this blog, we will shed light on the Retail Management courses, their prospects, and the universities offering these programs.
This Blog Includes:
- Retail Management Course After 12th
- Bachelor’s Degree Courses in Retail Management
- Master’s Degree Courses in Retail Management
- Entrance Exams in India For Retail Management Course
- Top College and Universities in India
- Major Universities and Colleges
- Skills Required
- Career Prospects
- Top Recruiters in Retail Management
Retail Management Course After 12th
Following the 12th grade, there are the following courses that lead to a career in retail management:
- Six-month certificate programme in retail management
- One-year retail management diploma
- three-year Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Retail Management
- 5-year integrated MBA in Retail Management
- Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management Bachelor of Science (B.Sc-FMRM)
- Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management Master of Science (M.Sc-FMRM)
Bachelor’s Degree Courses in Retail Management
From BSc to BBA, there is an array of retail management courses offered at the bachelor level by various universities. Given below are some of the programs.
- B.Sc in Retail Management
- BSc(Hons) in Fashion Management
- B.Sc in Retail and Service Management.
- BA in Fashion Management
- BA (Hons) in Fashion Design and Development
- BA (Hons) Fashion Buying and Merchandising
- BBA in Sustainable Fashion Management
- BBA in Retail Management
Also Read: MBA in Marketing
Master’s Degree Courses in Retail Management
Postgraduation courses are specialization programs which impart in-depth knowledge in your respective fields. Thus, pursuing higher education opens a wide range of career opportunities. Here is a list of some of the Retail Management courses offered at the master’s degree level.
- MSc in Retail Management
- MSc in Marketing and Retail Innovation
- MSc in Strategic Fashion Management
- MSc in Supply Chain and Purchasing Management
- MA in Luxury Fashion and Brand Management
- MA in Global Fashion Management
- Master in Fashion Collection Management
- MBA in Fashion and Art Management
- MBA in Retail Management
- Postgraduate Certificate in Fashion Management
Check out: MSc in Management Course
Entrance Exams in India For Retail Management Course
Candidates must take the entrance tests in order to be admitted to the retail programmes. For admission to this programme, the majority of colleges accept results from national level examinations including the CAT, XAT, MAT, and CMAT. State, Central, and Private Universities also hold their own entrance examinations in addition to these national-level assessments. Candidates are invited for a personal interview and group discussion following the entrance examinations (this depends on the requirement by the university). Listed below are top entrance exams in India.
|FDDI ASSIT||IGNOU OPENMAT|
Know About: How to Prepare for CAT Exam
Top College and Universities in India
- University of Delhi
- Symbiosis International University
- Narsee Moonji Institute of Management
- Shree Parekh Science, Arts and Commerce College
- Amity University
- Annamalai University
- Vidyasagar University
- Global Retail School
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Arihant College of Management and Information Technology
- DIPS Institute of Management and Technology
- University of Technology and Management
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
Major Universities and Colleges
Given below is a list of the universities which offer Retail Management courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- University of Leeds, UK
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- Stanford University, USA
- London School of Business, UK
- Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden
- Leeds Beckett University, England
- Columbia University, USA
- Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Macau University of Science and Technology
- Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland
- University of Southampton, UK
- University of Arts, London
- Good Communicator
- Good Listener
- Strong Customer Service Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Strong Negotiator
- Ability to motivate, train and develop others
Retail Management courses impart knowledge in fields like Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain Management, and Strategic Management. Further, these programs also equip students with the necessary skills to manage and run stores. Thus, a degree in this field can provide a multitude of career opportunities. Listed below are some of the areas where a retail management professional can work in.
- Banking and Financing: You will be required to work closely with clients to help them manage their finances.
- Retail Operations: As a Retail Operator, you will be required to manage and run the retail stores, provide customer service, and manage financial transactions.
- Sales and Marketing: As a Sales and Marketing professional you will be required to retain and expand the client base and increase product sales.
- Merchandising: The work profile of a merchandiser is very diverse. Some of the responsibilities include maintaining the inventory of products, collaborating with the suppliers and manufacturers, creating promotional campaigns, etc.
Top Recruiters in Retail Management
Now that you are familiar with the areas of employment, here is a list of the companies which recruit Retail Management professionals.
- Walmart Inc.
- Schwarz Group
- Future Group
- Target Corporation
- Metro AG
- Kroger Company
- Ahold Delhaize
- Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Ltd.
- Reliance Retail Ltd.
- Landmark Group
- Shoppers Stop Ltd.
The optional course in the marketing department is called Introduction to Retail Management. The goal of this course is to give the students a general understanding of the retail sector, its ideas and procedures, as well as the chance to learn about the responsibilities of a retail manager.
Retail management ideas, trends, market segmentation, pricing, merchandising, relationship marketing, and information technology in retailing are taught to candidates in retail courses. Candidates will have a better understanding of brands, marketing tactics, and retail philosophies as a result.
Candidates with a background in retail management might begin their careers in management, administration, sales, goods distribution, and client communication. There are more than 2 million job openings in retail management worldwide.
The employment of first-line supervisors of retail sales personnel will decline by 3% from 2020 to 2030, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) (www.bls.gov). According to the BLS, those with a college degree or a lot of sales experience will have the best employment chances.
Thus, there is a wide range of career opportunities after persuing Retail Management courses. If you are planning to pursue this program abroad but are confused about which university to choose, you can reach out to our Leverage Edu counselors and we will guide you in selecting a suitable university that matches your interests and help you kickstart your career.