Ralph Lauren once said, “I don’t design clothes, I design dreams.” By stating this, he meant that designing clothes isn’t a mere profession, it is beyond that. Similarly, if you possess a dream to create something that shall be adorned by people, then you belong to the world of creativity. But just possessing the dream and actually creating stunning outfits has a long gap in between, that shall be lessened only with setting specific goals in place. This blog will help you with the details of how to become a fashion designer.
This Blog Includes:
|Popular Courses||BSc in Fashion Designing
Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Design (Fashion)
MSc Fashion Management
MBA in Fashion Designing
|Average Salary||₹1,60,000 p.a|
|Job Profiles||Retail Manager
Textile DesignerJewellery/Footwear Designer
|Top Institution in India||NIFT|
What is Fashion Designing?
Fashion designing is the art of crafting customised apparel and lifestyle accessories and has turned into a career option now. It is a promising profession that is creative, and at the same time, serves a high package in the glamorous industry. However, it is a demanding sector, as one needs to be creative, and possess good managerial skills too. If you can create magic with shades, shapes, designs, cuts, and textiles, you have landed on the perfect article to stitch the decision that you have made a bit stronger.
Also Read: What is Fashion Communication?
Role and Responsibilities
- Crafting a designing process, from conception through the final look
- Involving in market research, trends in fabrics, techniques, and striving for design inspiration
- Editing the designs in-stream and creating new concepts
- Selecting apt fabrics and snips
- Developing sketches for customised packages
- Collaborating with the technical team to make sure the packages are accurate
- Re-examining product before presentations
- Presenting story, theme, and seasonal boards to clients
“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.”
– Coco Chanel
To excel as a fashion designer, students must possess the following skills.
- Creative and Aesthetic Sense
- Eye for Details
- Decision Making Skills
- Real-Time Problem Solving Skills
- Time Management
- Communication Skills
- Business Sense
- Adaptability to Change
- Awareness of the Changing Trends
How to Become a Fashion Designer?
Let us now discuss the pathway which needs to be followed to become a fashion designer. Read the following steps to know more:
Step 1 – The first step towards becoming a fashion designer is to have all the required skills. As the field of fashion is directly linked to creativity, it is essential to have great invocation, confidence to experiment and the ability to present your work in a convincing way to others. It is crucial that aspiring students hone their skills and build on newer skills to have a strong base in fashion designing.
Step 2 – Gaining professional training and education is the next step that falls in the line of becoming a fashion designer. Signup for a design course at the UG level to kickstart your career. If the realization of becoming a designer comes late to you, especially when you have completed your bachelors, then you can also directly sign up for a PG course. PG courses are much more specific and detailed than UG courses.
Step 3 – Sign Up for internships or part-time jobs in the related field to gain field experience. It will help you later in finding a job and also give you hands-on experience in the world of fashion designing.
Step 4 – It is a field vastly brimmed with lucrative opportunities. Just as you complete your study program you’ll find many job opportunities knocking at your door.
“Dress shabbily and they remember the dress;
dress impeccably and they notice the woman.”
– Coco Chanel
Before you enrol yourself for any degree or diploma in fashion designing, you need to understand the eligibility criteria for applying to any university or college. Here are the eligibility criteria for taking up a fashion designing course.
- You must complete 10+2 from a recognized College or University.
- Students must qualify with a good score in any of these exams – NID, AIEED, NIFT, CEED, etc.
- If you apply for this course abroad, , you need to get a good score in these exams specifically – IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- For PG courses you need to have a bachelor’s degree.
- Some universities require a portfolio and conduct personal interviews as a part of their selection process.
Fashion Designing Courses
The following are the various courses offered under fashion designing for different levels of study.
|Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Design (Honours)||Bachelor of Fashion (Merchandise Management)||BA (Hons) Fashion Buying and Merchandising|
|Bachelor of Fashion Technology||Fashion Design BA Honours||BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion|
|Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Design (Fashion)||Fashion Marketing with Management (BA)||BA (Hons) Costume Design and Practice|
|Bachelor of Design in Fashion and Textiles||Bachelor of Branded Fashion Design (Accelerated)||Bachelor of Design in Fashion and Textiles and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation|
|Master of Design||Fashion, Enterprise and Society MA||MA Fashion Design Technology (Womenswear)|
|Master of Fashion (Entrepreneurship)||Global Fashion Management MA||MA Fashion Buying and Merchandising Management|
|MA Fashion Management||MA Menswear||MA Fashion and Lifestyle Promotion|
|PhD Fashion and Craft||PhD in Fashion and Clothing||Doctor of Philosophy in Apparel Merchandising, and Design|
Read this blog to discover – Diploma in Fashion Designing courses!
Here are the core subjects in a Fashion Designing course.
- Pattern Making & Garment Construction
- Elements of Fashion & Design
- Textile Wet Processing
- Fashion Illustration & Design
- Textile and Apparel Testing
- Fashion Design
- Fashion Marketing
- Apparel Computer-Aided Design
- Draping & Needle Craft
- Business Development
- Clothing Quality Management
- Culture and Fashion Communication
- Fashion Portfolio & Design Collection
Top Universities for Fashion Designing
With ample opportunities and a wide array of courses, several universities abroad provide courses in fashion designing. Here are the top universities that offer programs in this field.
- Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Technology Sydney
- RMIT University
- University of Westminster
- University of Southampton
- Billy Blue College of Design
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Birmingham City University
- Griffith University
- University of Leeds
- University of Arts, London
- IOWA State University
Must Read: Top Fashion Designing Colleges in the World
Top colleges in India
There are various institutions in India that provide multiple courses in fashion designing. Here are the top colleges in India for courses in this field.
- National Institute of Fashion and Technology, Delhi; Mumbai
- National Institute of Design
- VIDM Institute of Design and Management, New Delhi
- YMCA Institute for Office Management, New Delhi
- Arena Animation
- Pearl Academy
- Symbiosis Institute of Design
- Amity School of Fashion Technology
- Army Institute of Fashion and Design
Fashion Designing is among the sought-after careers in the world for students who have a creative flair and know the nuts and bolts of the fashion industry. Being a highly creative field, students get the opportunity to use their skills and blend attires, experiment with fashion and even play with various themes. The following are a few job profiles in this domain.
- Retail Manager
- Textile Designer
- Jewellery/Footwear Designer
- Personal Shopper
- Make-Up Artist
- Fashion Blogger
The salary for a fashion designer varies across individuals based on their competence and experience. The following table covers the average salary of the popular job profiles in this field.
|Job Profiles||Annual Average Salary|
[BONUS] Fashion Management Abroad
Hope this blog helped you with the necessary details for how to become a fashion designer. If you need assistance in order to shortlist the best university or help with the application, then Leverage Edu experts are here with you to guide you through!