Organic farming is not just about producing chemical-free products but also about farming that also focuses on the betterment of nature. In a world where our actions are threatening nature itself, organic farming is one way of reducing our negative impact on the environment. The best part about Organic Farming is that you don’t really need a big land to start and can start producing your own organic fruits and vegetables at home! Want to pursue a course in Organic Farming? Read this blog to know the top Organic Farming courses, colleges and scope!
This Blog Includes:
- What is Organic Farming?
- Organic Farming Courses
- Online Course in Alternative Farming
- Bachelors in Organic Agriculture
- Bachelors in Sustainable Farm Management And Agribusiness
- Masters in Organic Agriculture And Food Systems
- Top Universities & Colleges
- Organic Farming Colleges in USA
- Colleges for Organic Farming Courses in India
- Eligibility Criteria
- Career Options
- Books for Organic Farming
What is Organic Farming?
Many people assume that this type of organic is just about using eco-friendly fertilisers and pesticides. But organic farming is much more than that. It’s an art in itself and like every art, it needs to be learned. To put it simply, Organic Farming is a complex, sustainable method of farming which involves the use of various scientific techniques and methods aiming to increase productivity and also preserve the soil quality.
Organic Farming Courses
While short-term and certificate courses in Organic Farming are the most popular, there are various degree-level programs available which you can also choose from! Here are the most popular Organic Farming courses from around the world:
- Certificate in Organic farming for Sustainable Agricultural Production
- Short Course in Alternate Farming
- Short Course in Soil Management
- Short Course in MEDEA – Mediterranean diet, biodiversity and functional food
- Short Course in Introduction to organic farming
- Inspection and Certification of organic produce
- Short Course in Renewable energy
- Short Course in Organic Production System
- Economics and Marketing of Organic Products
- Executive Diploma in Organic Farming and Food Production System
- Postgraduate Diploma Courses in Organic Farming
- Diploma in Natural Farming
- Certificate Diploma in Organic Farming – IGNOU
- Sustainable agriculture and Food systems – Specialisation in applied agriculture (B.A)
- Agribusiness (B.Sc.)
- Bachelors in Sustainable Food and Farming
- Bachelors in Smart Organic Farming Masters in Agricultural economics
- Bachelors in Farm Management
- Sustainable Farm Management and Agribusiness (B.Sc.)
- Bachelors in Land, farming and community
- Bachelors in Organic agriculture systems
- Masters in Food and Rural Development Research
- Masters in Food Safety
- Masters in Agroecology
- Masters in Multifunctional agriculture
- Masters in Horticulture emphasis – Urban
- Masters in Sustainable and efficient food
- Masters in Plant and soil sciences
- Organic Agriculture
- Masters in Environmental engineering and sustainable energy
Let’s take a look at some of these courses in further detail:
Online Course in Alternative Farming
This short course in organic farming introduces the students to the changing trends in the field of agriculture. It’s a perfect course for those who don’t have much time to spare but have a keen interest in learning how technological advancements and environmental changes impact agriculture.
Bachelors in Organic Agriculture
Amongst the most popular undergraduate level Organic Farming courses, a bachelors in Organic Agriculture familiarises students with the fundamental knowledge of complex agriculture and food products. Studying this program, the students receive practical experience in producing certified organic fruits, vegetables and herbs.
Bachelors in Sustainable Farm Management And Agribusiness
In this course, students will learn about sustainable agriculture and agribusiness through a combination of classroom, laboratory and field-based learning. By the end of the course, the students will have a clear knowledge regarding topics like physical and chemical sciences in agriculture, agribusiness management, etc.
Masters in Organic Agriculture And Food Systems
Another sought-after degree course to study Organic Farming, this program focuses on the study of foodstuff chain and organic agriculture. It is usually offered as a 2-year course and in the second year of study, the students could choose a field to specialise in based on the interests developed during their first year. So, this course in organic farming provides scope for creativity in the sense that you could branch out and research on a topic of your own and pursue them further.
Top Universities & Colleges
In recent times, universities across the world have realised the importance of organic farming and therefore included related courses in their curriculum. So, here is a list of the top universities from different parts of the world which offer a variety of courses in organic farming.
- Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Warnborough College, UK
- Hame University of Applied Sciences, Finland
- University of Hohenheim, Germany
- University of Milano, Italy
- Washington State University, US
- SRUC Scotland’s Rural College, Scotland
- Nord University, Norway
- Purdue University, US
- Aarhus University, Denmark
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts
- Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands
Organic Farming Colleges in USA
- University of Califonia, Davis
- California Polytechnic State University
- Washington State University
- Michigan State University
Colleges for Organic Farming Courses in India
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Gujarat Organic Agricultural University
- Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University
- Global Open University, Nagaland
- University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya
- National Academy of Agricultural Sciences
Like in every other course, admittance into Organic farming courses in any university requires the fulfilment of certain criteria. Though the actual course requirements might vary as per the course and university, here are some general admission requirements for degree and diploma-level organic farming courses:
- 10+2 from a recognised board for diploma and bachelor’s level courses in Organic Farming.
- For master’s Courses: An undergraduate degree in the same or related field.
- For MS and MSc courses in Organic Farming, you might be required to provide GRE scores.
- Candidate applying for Universities abroad must also provide scores of English proficiency exams like TOEFL and IELTS along with SOP and LORs.
After pursuing organic farming courses, the students will find themselves in the midst of a variety of opportunities. From the skills and interests developed during the course duration one can decide which path to take. Here are the most popular and in-demand careers in Organic Farming and Sustainable Agriculture:
- Organic Farmer
- Organic Agricultural or Food Scientist
- Organic Niche Retailer
- Organic Agricultural Manager
- Organic Certifying agent
- Organic Handler
Books for Organic Farming
- The One‑Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming by Masanobu Fukuoka
- The Organic Farming Manual: A Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Running a Certified Organic Farm by Ann Larkin Hansen
- The Market Gardener: A Successful Grower’s Handbook for Small-Scale Organic Farming by Jean-Martin Fortier and Marie Bilodeau
- Organic Farming: Everything You Need to Know by Peter V. Fossel
- The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way by Michael Phillips
We hope that we provided you with all the necessary information regarding Organic farming courses. Want to study a course in Sustainable Agriculture abroad? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to guide you in cherry-picking the right course and university. Sign up for a free session with us today.