Are you interested in gemstones? Do you find them intriguing and their properties enchanting? Gemology courses have emerged as a trending and popular choice among students. Students with super creative skills and who don’t wish to pursue any traditional course prefer to study gemology courses from India and abroad. Gemology courses are a perfect blend of modern learning because it includes both theoretical and practical learning. Let’s explore everything about gemology courses through this blog!
This Blog Includes:
About Gemology Courses
The study of precious metals and gems is called gemology. It is the art of finding, grading, evaluating, and processing gemstones that are in great demand globally. You will get the knowledge about the way these materials develop in the depths of the earth changes in the constitution of different stones like coloring, occurrence, and identification. Technical and modern techniques of ornamental designing are also part of the course. You can pursue Bachelors, Masters, Diplomas, and certificate courses in Gemology.
Also Read – Career in Gemology
Universities offer both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Gemology. There are also various diploma and certificate courses available in the field listed below:
Diploma Gemology Courses
- Diploma in Diamond Processing
- Diploma in Diamond Trade Management
- Diploma in Gemology
Certificate Gemology Courses
- Certificate course in colored gemstone cutting and polishing
- Certificate course in grading, cutting, polishing, and bruting
- Certificate course in hard shape grooving
- Certificate course in an International system of diamond grading
- Certificate course in planning and marketing
- Courses in jewelry design and machine cast jewelry
Gemology Courses Syllabus
Gemology is not a traditional regular degree with boring subjects, it involves more practical learning than theoretical studies. Students are always intrigued to know about the subjects. We have listed down all the topics that will help you understand the concept and theory of gemology courses:
|Stimulants of Gem||Synthetic Gem and Identification||Treatment of Gem|
|Physical Properties of Gem||Quality of Gem||Species of Gem|
|Occurrences of Instruments||Optical Properties of Gem||Optics, Light, and Color|
|Marketing of Gem||Applications in Gemology||Individual stones & their stimulants|
|Introduction of Gems||Mining of Gem||Nature of crystals|
|Handling of Instruments||Identification of Gem||Imitation gemstones & plastics|
|Fashioning of Gemstones||Basic knowledge of Techniques employed in Gemological Laboratories||Inclusions in the Most Important Gemstones|
|History of jewelry||Cost-based designing||Historical designing|
|Chemical Composition||Crystallography of Gemstones||Gem Cutting|
Each college and university has a different admission process for gemology courses and the candidates should check with the university they are applying to. Most colleges use a merit list. There are no entrance exams as such for admission in these courses. Some institutes offer online courses for gemology as well.
The candidates who are interested in gemology courses have to fulfill the eligibility requirements given below:
- For Bachelor or diploma courses the candidate should have passed the class 12th or equivalent from a recognized board with at least about 50% aggregate marks.
- For Postgraduate courses, the candidate should have a graduation degree from a recognized university.
- The candidate should at least be 18 years and above to be able to study gemology. There is no upper limit on the age requirement.
- The eligibility criteria also depend on the college you apply to and the candidate has to fulfill these criteria as well for admission.
Also Read – Jewelry Design Course
Top 10 Colleges in India for Gemology Courses
Selecting the best college for pursuing gemology courses can be a little difficult because of the number of institutions offering the course. We have listed down the top 10 Colleges in India for Gemology Courses
- Arch Gemology and Jewelry Institute, Jaipur
- Indian Institute of Art and Design
- Indian Institute of Gemology, New Delhi
- Industrial Design Center, Mumbai
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Design, Vijayawada
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kannur
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Navi Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
Other Prominent Colleges in India
- SRDC Diamond Institute, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- United World Institute of Design, Gandhinagar
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- Xavier’s College, Mumbai
Also Read : Jewellery Design Courses
Top 10 Colleges for Gemology Courses Abroad
- Birmingham City University, UK
- George Brown College, Canada
- Green River College, USA
- The University of Alabama, USA
- University of Strathclyde, UK
- Royal Holloway, University of London, UK
- University of Portsmouth, UK
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- University of Aberdeen, UK
- Mount Royal University, Canada
Job Profiles and Salary Structure
A career after studying Gemology courses can be quite lucrative and has a lot of scopes. Even the salary is quite good when you get your ideas and designs out there in the world. The starting salary is around Rs. 2 – 5 lakhs per year but there is scope for immense growth in the salary once you gain more experience in your specialized field. The highly qualified and experienced gemologists may earn up to Rs. 5 – 10 lakhs per year. People can work professionally as a freelancer or with jewelry houses but there are other options as well for the gemologists which are given below :
- Diamond Grader
- Gem Assorting
- Gem Polishers
- Gemstone Auction Manager
- Graphics Operator
- Jewelry Designers
- Stone Setter
Also Read – How to become a Jewelry Designer?
The actors work in a studio, doctors in hospitals but where do graduates from gemology courses work? You can work in Art auction houses, gem exporting companies, testing laboratories, jewelry business management, manufacturing or product development departments, mining, retail jewelry business, or with any popular jewelry designers. Here are the top recruiters for gemology courses graduates:
- Diamonte jewels
- DIANI jewels
- Famous Goldsmiths
- Gemological science international
- GS gem scan Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Independent gemological industries
- Jewelry shops and showrooms
- Solitaire gemological laboratories
We have provided a list of colleges that provide gemology courses. You can choose whichever suits your needs and requirements.
The time for becoming a gemologist would be about several months in which you can take a diploma or certificate course. Otherwise, undergraduate and postgraduate gemology courses take up to 1- 3 years to complete.
The study of precious metals and gems is called gemology. It can also be described as the art of finding, grading, evaluating, and processing gemstones which are in great demand generally across the world.
Yes, gemologists make good money since the starting salary ranges between 2 – 5 lakhs and once you get more experience and specialization it may increase up to 5 – 10 lakhs per year.
You can do gemology courses at the undergraduate or graduate level or you can also choose to pursue a diploma or certificate course in gemology which would get you a certified degree along with good credentials to become a gemologist.
The job of a gemologist includes a lot of things like finding, grading, evaluating, and processing gemstones, and much more. We have explained all this in detail above so you can read it and understand what a gemologist’s job contains.
So this was all about gemology courses. We hope it was informative for you and now you may find it easier to decide if this course is for you. Take the help of our AI Course Finder to determine the right course that matches your suitability, eligibility, and requirements at the right university for you. Get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu for more details.