Paediatrics is a famous branch of medicine which deals with the diagnosis, prevention, treatment and minimalizing of the severe effects of diseases in children. Paediatricians adopt a holistic approach where not only the physical health conditions but the patient’s mental health is also taken care of. This field covers a wide range of specialities namely, orthopaedics, neonatology, emergency accidents as well as chronic illness amongst infants, children and young people. If you are exploring fields to secure a master’s degree in medicine, here is a blog that aims to shed light on the distinct factors about establishing a career in paediatrics.
Know All About How to Become A Homeopathic Doctor?
This Blog Includes:
List of Courses in Paediatrics
Being one of the most opted fields in Medical Science, there is a wide range of courses available at various levels like Master’s, Graduate Certificate, PG Diploma. The certificate/ diploma courses in Paediatrics will familiarize you with the basics whereas the full-time postgraduate courses will furnish your knowledge and equip you with the intricacies of the field. Below mentioned are some of the prominent courses in Paediatrics.
- MSc Paediatric Exercise and Health
- Pediatric Lower Lomb Development Certificate
- Master of Philosophy (Paediatrics)
- Child Health MD
- PG Diploma in Emergency Medicine
- Child Health MPhil
- Pediatric Dentistry
- PhD Child Health
- PhD Paediatrics
- PhD Child Life and Health
To study abroad and get admission in the promising programs of Paediatrics, you need to fulfil the entry requirements specified by your chosen university. Since a variety of courses are offered by a number of institutions, the eligibility criteria tends to differ. Let us take a quick look at some general entry requisites for Paediatrics courses:
- Applicants must have an undergraduate degree in Medicine, i.e. MBBS. Also, it is beneficial to have 1-2 years of experience working at hospitals, clinics or health centres.
- For overseas education, it is mandatory to prove your efficiency in the English Langauge by qualifying exams like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. Along with this, LORs (Letter of Recommendation) and SOP (Statement of Purpose) are also required.
Subjects Covered in Paediatrics Courses
Regardless of the course or university you choose, some of the foundational subjects remain to be the same. Tabulated below are the important subjects which you will come across in a paediatrics course.
|Neonatology||Nutrition||Emergency and Critical Care|
|Behavioral & Development Disorder||Respiratory||Endocrinology|
|Psychological Disorders||Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease||Genetics|
|Fetus and New Born||ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat)||Cardiovascular|
|Urological Disorder||Orthopaedics||Hematology & Oncology|
To know more, here’s a detailed guide on How to Become a Paediatrician?
With enormous institutions present around the globe, it is vital to judiciously choose the one that fits your preferences and interest. The right institution will provide you with ample opportunities, capturing which can help you attain your career aspirations. Here is a list of some leading institutions offering a multitude of courses in paediatrics.
- Staffordshire University
- University of Liverpool
- University of Plymouth
- University of Southampton
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Exeter
- University of Newcastle
- Northeastern University
- Saint Louis University
- The University of Sydney
A multitude of career options spring from the field of paediatrics. Predominantly, a paediatrician’s work is closely related to that of a general physician. Once you obtain a degree in paediatrics, you can opt to work at hospitals or can practice independently. Here are some eminent job profiles to acquire after completing a degree in this domain:
- Neontologist: These are the professionals who manage the diagnosis and treatment of the premature newborns or the babies suffering from illness since birth.
- Pediatric Surgeon: This career profile in Paediatrics is for those trained with special skills to perform various surgical medical practices on newborn patients or practices like diagnosis, making them aware of the key measures to maintain good health.
- Pediatric Cardiologist: Those who are qualified as practitioners treating the children with heart problems or the ones who are born with vascular heart diseases are known as Paediatric Cardiologists.
Apart from these profiles, here are some other frequently opted job roles:
- Developmental-behavioral Paediatrician
- Pediatric Endocrinologist
- Paediatric Orthopedist
Thus, we hope that this blog has familiarized you with the details about starting your career in paediatrics. If you are planning to study a degree in Paediatrics, reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and we will help find the best combination of course and university thus ensuring that you take the right step towards a fulfilling career!