Every year, lakhs of students either pursue a professional career or opt for higher studies on completion of a bachelor’s degree. While an undergraduate degree helps in building a strong foundation in the field, a master’s program acts as a stepping stone in your professional career. But with the increase in the number of postgraduation courses across various disciplines, choosing the right higher education degree can be challenging. This process further complicates when you have more than one specialization course for the same subject. One such dilemma is whether to choose an MBA(Master of Business Administration) or pursue an MS(Master of Science). This confusion prevails especially in science graduates who are capable of pursuing both. In this blog, we will discuss and elucidate all the aspects of an MBA vs MS degree.
This Blog Includes:
MBA vs MS: Differences
|Focus||To acquire business and
|To gain technical,
research skills in
the field of Science
|Duration||1-2 years||2 years|
Banking, Consulting, etc
Research, Science, etc
|Work Experience||Often required (1-3 years)||Not Required|
|Further studies||Lesser options in
the same field
within the discipline
What is MBA?
MBA is a professional Management degree which equips candidates to work in big business houses at upper management level. The course can be 1-2 year long in duration depending upon the nature of stream one picks. The curriculum for the same comprises of internships, project works, presentations, debates, fieldwork, etc along with theoretical subjects.
While talking about MBA vs MS, it essential to know that an MBA is a degree which can be done after completing graduation in any field, ranging from science to arts. You might find it strange but students apply for MBA after MBBS, MBA after MS to give their career a required push. Given below is the table of MBA streams that can be pursued by students interested in making a career in the Management domain:
Universities for MBA
Pursuing a course from leading universities not only provides excellent employment opportunities but also imparts confidence and knowledge into the candidates. Here is a list of some leading universities that offer MBA program in a plethora of specializations:
- Stanford University, USA
- Harvard University, USA
- London Business School, UK
- IESE Business School, Spain
- SDA Bocconi, Italy
- China Europe International Business School(CEIBS)
- Melbourne Business School, Australia
- NUS Business School, Singapore
- IMD Business School, Switzerland
Careers After MBA
Given below are some of the leading professions that can be opted by candidates can think of taking up after completion of their degrees:
- Managing Consultants
- Data Analysts
- Healthcare Management Experts
- Human Resource Manager
- Entrepreneurship Experts
- Marketing Professionals
- Financial Analyst
- Information System Expert
What is MS?
Master of Science is a postgraduate degree readily offered by the educational institute to provide specialized knowledge to candidates in a specific area of study. Usually, MS degrees are 2 years long, however, some universities offer 1 year MS courses as well. One must possess a bachelors degree in a relevant field to further study masters course in the very field.
While addressing the topic, MBA vs MS, one should know that MS is offered in a wide range of STEM courses. Given below is a list of MS specializations that can be opted by candidates to make a blooming career in the field of Science & Tech:
Universities for MS
While talking about MBA vs MS, one cannot miss out on the fact that there are some excellent universities across the globe which offer Master of Science programs. Here are some of them which not only provide academic facilities to candidates but also help them in innovating and experimenting along with it:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Purdue University, USA
- Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University of Canberra, Australia
- Technical University of Berlin, Germany
- University of Salford, UK
- University of Bayreuth, Germany
- University of Glasgow, UK
Careers After MS
It is easy for candidates with an MS degree to get jobs in the market. The nature of work might depend upon the area of specialization one has. Given below are some of them:
- Researcher and Accountant
- Quantitative Developer
- Field Officer
- Assistant Professor
- Chemical Analyst
MBA vs MS
With a diverse and advanced curriculum, a postgraduate degree not only helps in acquiring in-depth knowledge of the field but also increases your chances of getting hired by top companies. Here are some of the key points pertaining to an MBA vs MS degree course:
- While an MBA degree imparts extensive knowledge in the field of Management and Business, a Masters in Science provides students with a platform to acquire knowledge in a particular field of science.
- Another important MBA vs MS difference is that with an MBA degree, you can shift from one role to another. But with an MS degree, you will be restricted to a specific area and will thus gain expertise only in that field.
- To study an MS degree from foreign institutes, you need to score a minimum percentile in English proficiency tests like the IELTS, TOEFL or GRE. But for pursuing a business administration course, besides English language tests, you also have to score well in the GMAT exam.
- When it comes to building a career in academics, an MS degree can be more fruitful. Even though the academic spectrum of an MBA degree is limited, it has a greater appeal when looking for jobs and internships.
Also Read: MBA Subjects
Pursuing higher studies in your choice of field maximizes career opportunities. But choosing the right master’s degree is a painstaking task. Thus, if you are still confused about the MBA vs MS degree programs then the experts at Leverage Edu will assist you in selecting a course that aligns with your professional goals and help you embark on the journey to your dream career.