“The aim of arguments or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.” – Joseph Joubert. If you are someone aiming to get a seat in a top-notch business school or someone planning to clear interview for your dream job then you must already be knowing about the group discussion. The entire concept of right-wrong or truth-lies is a matter of perspectives and discussions makes these concepts perceivable. The more opinions and thoughts are discussed, the more perspectives come to light resulting in a more open-minded conclusion. However, group discussion appears easy only when topics are familiar which might not be the case every time. Always remember, preparation is the key to success. Brushing your knowledge on topics of Economy, Political Science, Business and General Awareness will help you stand out in the final showdown. Through this blog, we will try to list some quintessential group discussion topics which can help you get to your ideal profession.
This Blog Includes:
Group Discussion Topics
While preparing for a GD it is imperative to keep a tab on all trending social, political, economic issues of the world. Given below are some important group discussion topics from the perspective of an interview or admission related process:
General GD Topics
- Gender Sensitivity is gender equality concern?
- A.I. in work: how it is going to change the future of workspace?
- Cryptocurrency/ Bitcoin
- Discuss the quote by Mark Zuckerburg “We don’t make services to make more money, we make money to make better services”.
- What do you think about ‘ageing gracefully’? How can we change the trend of people going for cosmetic surgeries?
- Is Dependence on Computers a Good Thing?
- Terrorism in India
- How effective are Indian B-schools?
- Will E-Commerce will ruin the retail stores?
- Are Peace and Non-Violence Outdated Concepts?
- Effect of demonetization on common citizen vis-a-vis black money holders
- Discuss Social Media impact on teenagers.
- Are men compromising their careers for the family?
- Are nuclear families a blessing in disguise?
- Artificial Intelligence is taking over the human workforce.
- Is our Political System Reason for our Backwardness?
- #Me Too Campaign
- E-Learning: A Substitute for Classroom Learning?
- Work-Life balance and Need for spirituality.
- The decline in open spaces may lead to negative tendencies in children.
Current Affairs Topics for GD
- Impact of COVID on the global economy
- Importance of public health post-COVID
- India’s COVID-19 battle vs developed countries
- New world order – social distancing?
- Are we a part of a virtual world post COVID?
- Lockdown caused a dent in the Indian economy
- Citizenship Amendment Act
- How will the Abrogation of Article 370 improve the situation in Kashmir?
- COVID lockdown exposed social and gender inequality in the country
- Media Freedom – Is it important?
- Will the Amendment Bill benefit companies?
- Can electric vehicles be a success in India?
- Significance of Data Privacy
- Discuss Union Budget India 2019-2020
- The implication of State Assembly elections at the national level?
- What is the significance of the Statue of Unity?
- Will Denuclearisation Instill World Peace?
- Aadhaar mandatory – for or against
Also Read: GD Topics for Placement Drives
Business and Economics
- What are your views on YONO?
- Business Lobbying in India
- India vs China – A better economy in 2050?
- Importance of an MBA in a successful business
- How is Bitcoin affecting global economy?
- Business and Technology go hand in hand
- AI is the future of business
- Is brand presence more important than good services?
- Future of Banking sector in India
Importance of Group Discussion
You must be wondering what is the need to group discission? Here are some points to establish the importance of a group discussion:
- Group discussion or GD aims to test interpersonal skills, oratory skills and leadership skills of candidates
- It is held as an aid to understand different perspectives of a particular topic and gain in-depth knowledge about the same
- It evaluates the communication skills and manner of candidates
- Your arguments around the given group discussion topics also help the examinee to understand your open-mindedness and thinking process
- It evaluates your rigidity towards accepting other person’s point of view
- Examines your analytical abilities, time management, confidence and social conduct.
Having established the need for GD, let us move forward and comprehend the Important group discussion topics and evaluation process.
Also Read: 60 Extempore Topics
Evaluation Criteria for Group Discussion Topics
There are four major areas of evaluation, based on which the candidates are judged. These criteria include:
- Subject Knowledge: Speaking without knowledge would not be a smart thing to do in a GD. One must only speak things that make sense and stand relevant to the group discussion topic. Creating a list, pertinent enough to be presented in front of the group can be prepared by the candidates. The more you are aware of a wide range of topics, the more points you can contribute to the discussion.
- Listening Skills: It is one of the most important aspects of a GD. Unless a candidate has listening skills, they will not be able to pick up the thread. Also, listening to your counterparts will give you an idea for next elocution. A person with this skill easily catches the panel member’s eye.
- Oral Communication Skills: Impressive oral communication skills supported by right facts, directions and throw of language can make you lead the GD game. The confidence and conviction with which the candidate speaks is a major part of the judging criterion.
- Clarity of thought and expression: Outcasting your points loud and clear leaves an excellent impression on the judges. The act of making yourself clear to the audience and judging committee with conviction is achieved only when there is clarity of thought and expression. Phonetic accuracy for proper modulation of voice is also an important factor during GD. Thus, make sure that you are not speaking meekly.
What is the Difference Between Extempore and GD?
These were some popular group discussion topics that are common for recruitment and admission processes. Hopefully, this blog has given you a better insight about GDs. For further assistance on how to prepare an application to universities abroad, seek help from the Leverage Edu experts to make your dream come true. Our mentors will help you draft a perfect application and guide you with other admission related rounds.