“The aim of arguments or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.” – Joseph Joubert. If you are someone aiming to get a seat in a top-notch business school or someone planning to clear interview for your dream job then you must already be knowing about the group discussion. The entire concept of right-wrong or truth-lies is a matter of perspectives and discussions makes these concepts perceivable. The more opinions and thoughts are discussed, the more perspectives come to light resulting in a more open-minded conclusion. However, group discussion appears easy only when topics are familiar which might not be the case every time. Always remember, preparation is the key to success. Brushing your knowledge on topics of Economy, Political Science, Business and General Awareness will help you stand out in the final showdown. Through this blog, we will try to list some quintessential group discussion topics which can help you get to your ideal profession.
Importance of Group Discussion Topics
Group discussion or GD aims to test interpersonal skills, oratory skills and leadership skills of candidates. It is held as an aid to understand different perspectives of a particular topic and gain in-depth knowledge about the same. It also enables students to understand the importance of healthy criticism. Having established the need for GD, let us move forward and comprehend the Important group discussion topics and evaluation process.
Evaluation Criteria for Group Discussion Topics
There are four major areas of evaluation, based on which the candidates are judged. These criteria include:
- Subject Knowledge: Speaking without knowledge would not be a smart thing to do in a GD. One must only speak things that make sense and stand relevant to the group discussion topic. Creating a list, pertinent enough to be presented in front of the group can be prepared by the candidates. The more you are aware of a wide range of topics, the more points you can contribute to the discussion.
- Listening Skills: It is one of the most important aspects of a GD. Unless a candidate has listening skills, they will not be able to pick up the thread. Also, listening to your counterparts will give you an idea for next elocution. A person with this skill easily catches the panel member’s eye.
- Oral Communication Skills: Impressive oral communication skills supported by right facts, directions and throw of language can make you lead the GD game. The confidence and conviction with which the candidate speaks is a major part of the judging criterion.
- Clarity of thought and expression: Outcasting your points loud and clear leaves an excellent impression on the judges. The act of making yourself clear to the audience and judging committee with conviction is achieved only when there is clarity of thought and expression. Phonetic accuracy for proper modulation of voice is also an important factor during GD. Thus, make sure that you are not speaking meekly.
Also Read: How to prepare for Group Discussion
Group Discussion Topics
While preparing for a GD it is imperative to keep a tab on all trending social, political, economic issues of the world. Given below are some important group discussion topics from the perspective of an interview or admission related process:
- Gender Sensitivity is gender equality concern?
- A.I. in work: how it is going to change the future of workspace?
- Cryptocurrency/ Bitcoin
- Discuss the quote by Mark Zuckerburg “We don’t make services to make more money, we make money to make better services”.
- What do you think about ‘ageing gracefully’? How can we change the trend of people going for cosmetic surgeries?
- Is Dependence on Computers a Good Thing?
- Terrorism in India
- How effective are Indian B-schools?
- Will E-Commerce will ruin the retail stores?
- Are Peace and Non-Violence Outdated Concepts?
- Effect of demonetization on common citizen vis-a-vis black money holders
- Discuss Social Media impact on teenagers.
- Are men compromising their careers for the family?
- Are nuclear families a blessing in disguise?
- Artificial Intelligence is taking over the human workforce.
- Is our Political System Reason for our Backwardness?
- #Me Too Campaign
- E-Learning: A Substitute for Classroom Learning?
- Work-Life balance and Need for spirituality.
- The decline in open spaces may lead to negative tendencies in children.
Also Read: A preparation guide for campus placements.
These were some popular group discussion topics that are common for recruitment and admission processes. Hopefully, this blog has given you a better insight about GDs. For further assistance on how to prepare an application to universities abroad, seek help from the Leverage Edu experts to make your dream come true. Our mentors will help you draft a perfect application and guide you with other admission related rounds.