Graduate Schools bring a lot of good news and even more work to do in terms of applications. Although, the application is not an easy task when it comes to pursuing higher education with study abroad opportunities. Apart from LORs, Academic Certificates and other important documents, SOPs are an essential part of the PG application. Statement of Purpose is an essay that concentrates on a student’s personal and professional life in limited words. Most of the renowned universities offer the same kind of questions and format for the SOP. While writing the first draft of the same candidates must refer to a lot of Samples to have an idea as to what can be incorporated in the essay. A popular postgraduate course is Masters in Computer Science requires a strong statement of purpose to get admission in the leading universities. Considering the importance of the course, we have curated this blog which concentrates on the SOP for MS in CS along with a sample for the same.
This Blog Includes:
Sample SOP for MS in CS
How to Write a Sample SOP for MS in CS?
There are a few things that need to be kept in mind when writing an SOP for MS in CS. First of all, organize your thoughts and make pointers before sitting down to write the same. A disorganized mind does not yield a good Statement of Purpose. Always remember, the institutes are looking out for candidates who are passionate about the course they are pursuing. Ensure that you refer to sample SOP for MS in CS before writing your own. A perfect SOP should have 4 key sections which we have elaborated below:
The first paragraph should be smart and creative. It should have an opening line that catches the eye of the admissions committee. We can recommend a quote of some kind that is relevant to CS and highlights your interest in the field. If you have noticed the sample SOP for MS in CS, we have begun with an interesting introductory line.
For the second part of the SOP for MS in CS should talk about your academic journey and achievements. It’s just a matter of finding the right to glorify the details without sounding arrogant. However, scoring fewer marks and just making the cut is also something you can write about. The candidate needs to make sure that these details are written in a way that shows that the student is aware of their weaknesses and is now making better choices. This is because the student knows how to apply knowledge to practical situations that aren’t restricted to written examinations and the marks that go with them. The student can also talk about their projects and work experience to highlight what they have learned during the four years in their respective colleges. Refer to our sample SOP for MS in CS to have an idea about how to tackle this part.
If you see our sample SOP for MS in CS, the third paragraph talks about the extracurricular activities of the student. Understand that institutes prefer students who are all-rounders or have some interests other than their immediate academic work. Hence, writing about extracurricular activities is an important part of the SOP. Any kind of volunteer work, internship, research activities or training programs the student was involved in should be mentioned. Even with students who have tons of extracurricular activities to write about, they need to be precise about all their achievements, so that they can give a summary of their work without missing any of it.
The fourth paragraph of the SOP should mention the goals and aspirations of the student. Making an effort to understand the university or college and mentioning the core subjects is a good way to show the institute how interested you are in attending their course. Researching some of the professors of CS and projects for additional references is another good idea to write about because the institutes will appreciate your enthusiasm and see how their teachers and the overall program inspire you. However, be careful not to overstep the line between inspired and desperate creates the wrong impression. Check our sample SOP for MS in CS to write this paragraph.
The last and concluding paragraph should be just as impressive as the first one. In this paragraph of the SOP for MS in CS, you can talk about how the institute will gain a capable and outstanding student, who will give their all to maintain the stature of the university and succeed.
[Bonus] Explore Online CS Courses that can help you improve your resume for MS in CS.
Writing an SOP For MS in CS: Things to Keep in Mind
Before you set out to draft your SOP for MS in CS, there are certain elements that you should definitely consider to ensure that it is well-written and detailed enough to inform the admission committee about your interests and objectives behind choosing a masters in Computer Science. Let’s take a look at the essentials you must add in your statement of purpose:
- The SOP should be somewhere around one to one and half a page long. Use a simpler font style such as Times New Roman with no more than 12-point size and 1.5 line spacing. The font size should not be too big or too small because that can make your SOP difficult to read. Remember that the admission committee has to read many SOPs and making sure that your SOP is a simpler read can create a great impression.
- Make sure that the career goals you are describing in your SOP for MS in CS align with the degree program as well as the university’s expertise areas which you can find from their online website.
- Maintain a formal tone throughout the statement of purpose. Avoid using any slangs or humour in the document.
- While drafting your SOP for MS in CS, if you are mentioning your prior work experience, you also need to elaborate upon how it will help in the degree you are opting for. Strongly highlight the reasons to explain why your professional experience makes you unique. For this, use storytelling to describe your interests and exposure you got and how it will help you further through your chosen course.
- If you are someone who took some time away in your career for some reasons, the reasons why you took that gap needs a crucial mention in the SOP. Connect it with how an MS in Computer Science will assist you in kickstarting your career after the break.
- While writing about your skills and expertise, elucidate them by using examples from your everyday life. Add interesting anecdotes to gather the reader’s and keep it hooked till the end.
These are a few tricks that can help you write a sample SOP for MS in CS. To get more details and assistance in writing the sample as well as the final draft of your statement of purpose, get in touch with Leverage Edu today. After all, the best students deserve help from the best of experts!