With the advent of shopping websites and applications, anything can be ordered online, whether it is clothing, furniture, electronics or groceries. But did you ever wonder about the personnel that manage the whole chain of supply and logistics behind the packages you receive in sure-set delivery time? Encompassing the processes of supply chain planning and execution, Material Management is an emerging field of Business Administration and has gained immense prominence with the emergence of e-commerce websites. Pursuing an MBA in Material Management, students get to delve deeper into the different processes and techniques of efficiently handling the material requirements of a firm and ensuring the safe collection, storage, distribution and delivery of the supplies to the end consumer. Through this blog, we will explore this evolving domain of Management as well as the key characteristics of an MBA program in Material Management along with the top universities you can pursue it from.
|Course||PGDM – MBA in Material Management|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s in a related field|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam & Personal Interview|
|Course Fees||INR 2 lakhs – 10 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 5 lakhs – 7 lakhs|
|Job Options||BD Manager, Inventory Manager, Asset Manager, Corporate Manager, Senio Consultant, etc.|
|Recruiting Companies||Raymond, Pepsico, Hyundai, Mahindra & Mahindra, Future Group, Maruti Suzuki, Ford, SAIL, Nestle, etc.|
This Blog Includes:
- Why You Should Study for MBA in Material Management?
- MBA in Material Management Syllabus
- MBA in Material Management Subjects
- MBA in Material Management: Entrance Exams
- Eligibility Criteria for MBA in Material Management
- How Can You Get Admission to Top Indian Colleges?
- MBA in Material Management: Top Colleges in India 2021
- Best Books to Prepare for MBA in Material Management
- Job Prospects & Salary
- MBA in Material Management: Distance Education 2021- 22
- MBA Material Management v/s MBA Actuarial Science
- Roles and Responsibilities
An MBA in Media Management is a 2-year master’s degree program which involves the study of managing the logistics and the other tangible elements in the chain of supply. Over the course of the program, you will be equipped with the knowledge of material identification and planning, purchase procedures and systems, standardization techniques, handling of the packages and their transportation and inspection. Further, you will be provided with an insight into the several procedures and techniques of handling inventory, customers and vendor management.
Why You Should Study for MBA in Material Management?
MBA in material management provides great platforms for students who have plans to manage materials such as raw materials, finished goods materials, and work-in-progress materials.
- As the subject is based on practical works, the students need to enhance their performance while going through the course.
- This two-year course will help students become more job-ready.
- Students can receive high-paying job opportunities.
MBA in Material Management Syllabus
It is a dynamic stream with various regions of specialization. The table below includes all a junior fellow can specialize in:
|Principles of Management and Organizational Behaviour||Packing Distribution Management|
|Total Quality Management||Quantitative Techniques for Management|
|Managerial Economics||Purchasing and Procurement Management|
|Marketing Management||Business Environment and Ethics|
|Management Information Systems||Logistics and Supply Chain Management Corporate Communication|
|Material and Store Management||Project Management & Documentation|
|Logistic and Supply Chain Management||Enterprise Resource and Planning|
|Human Resources Management||Strategic Management|
MBA in Material Management Subjects
Similar to any other degree that pertains to the broad spectrum of Management, an MBA in Material Management involves the study of various business concepts and further integrates them with the disciplines of supply chain and logistics. Given below is a list of subjects that are generally added to the curriculum of an MBA in Material Management.
- Managerial Economics
- Marketing Management
- Corporate Communication
- Research Methods for Management
- Principles of Management and Organisational Behavior
- Operations Management
- Export Trade and Documentation
- Packing and Distribution Management
- Purchasing and Procurement Management
- Project Management
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Strategic Management
- Total Quality Management
MBA in Material Management: Entrance Exams
Some of the popular entrance exams for MBAs in Material Management are:
- CAT – conducted by IIM. The duration of the CAT Exam is two hours consisting of three sections. The official website is iimcat.ac.in
- GMAT – It is an internationally accepted score & valid for up to 5 years. Candidates can appear for GMAT 5 times a year.
Eligibility Criteria for MBA in Material Management
To get apply for a management program at a business school, you need to check out the criteria of eligibility for the particular courses in the respective colleges. Here is a list of general prerequisites that you need to fulfil in order to apply for an MBA in Material Management:
- A bachelor’s degree in a management-related field is essential.
- IELTS or TOEFL scores, whichever is mandatory in the country you are seeking admission in.
- Candidates are also required to clear the GMAT which is applicable to a broad range of colleges abroad. However, some colleges conduct their own private tests that are designed to test the aptitude of the candidates applying to a particular course.
- To check the worthiness of a candidate, Group Discussions and Personal Interviews are also conducted.
How Can You Get Admission to Top Indian Colleges?
This is one of the most important things you need to know about an MBA in material management. Here are some points you should remember if you want to complete your MBA in material management from a reputed college in India.
- Make sure you reach the top colleges so that you can know more about the course materials.
- Filter the colleges by paying close attention to the career options, faculty, and syllabus.
- Make sure you check the notifications as well as updates.
- Prepare for the entrance exam as per your syllabus.
MBA in Material Management: Top Colleges in India 2021
Presented below are some of the top universities for MBA Material Management in India with their location, fees structure, and average salary:
|College||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Christ University||Bangalore||INR 3Lac||INR 3,00,000-5,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Material Management||Kolkata||INR 8,00,000||INR 4,00,000 -6,00,000|
|Xavier School of Management||Jamshedpur||INR 5,00,000||INR 2,50,000-5,40,000|
|SLIET||Sangrur||INR 51,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Material Management||Kolkata||INR 8,00,000||INR 4,00,000 -6,00,000|
|Birla Global University||Bhubaneswar||INR 7,00,000||INR 2,50,000-5,00,000|
|SVPM’S Institute of Management||Pune||INR 79,500||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|National School of Business||Bangalore||INR 4,30,000||INR 3,00,000-5,60,000|
|NSU||Jamshedpur||INR 2,71,000||INR 5,00,000-8,00,000|
|LPU||Jalandhar||INR 2,32,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
Best Books to Prepare for MBA in Material Management
Here are the best books that will undoubtedly help you prepare for MBA in material management.
|GMAT Official Guide 2023||GMAC|
|Barron’s GMAT Math Workbook||Ender Markal|
|Quantitive Aptitude for CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|Complete Guide for MAT and Other MBA Entrance Exams||Disha Experts|
Job Prospects & Salary
Read on to find out the diverse career option as mentioned in the beginning –
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Fees|
|Materials Analyst||To design supply chain management, transport, export & import.||INR 4 lakhs – 6 lakhs|
|Sourcing Manager||Maintains company supply portfolio, implements strategies, and more.||INR 5 lakhs to 6 lakhs|
|Inventory Manager||To manage planning & procurement||INR 3.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs|
|Materials Manager||To ensure material flow, quality control||INR 5.5 lakhs to 8 lakhs|
|Purchase Manager||To maintain purchase records of the raw material, equipment & supplies.||INR 5 lakhs – 7 lakhs|
MBA in Material Management: Distance Education 2021- 22
Following are the headlines of the MBA in Material Management in Distance Mode:
|Course Name||MBA Materials Management Distance Education|
|Duration||1 to 2 year|
|Eligibility||Graduation Passed with 45%|
|Fee Structure||Distance and online education ranges from INR 15000 – INR 30,000/year|
|Approved By||University Grant Commission (UGC)|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Orient Refract, Vesuvius India, Sanghi Ind, Ramcoind, Indian Hume, Everest Ind, Visaka Ind, Morganite India, Sahyadri Ind.|
MBA Material Management v/s MBA Actuarial Science
MBA Material Management and MBA Actuarial Science are both demanding courses because of their similarities. Somehow they have differences in their areas of research specialization:
|Parameters||MBA in Material Management||MBA in Actuarial Science|
|Overview||It deals with logistics, supply, standardization, etc.||It is a professional course where mathematics & statistical skills are used.|
|Admission||XAT, GMAT, CAT||CAT, SNAP, GMAT|
|Course Fee||INR 3 lakhs – 8 lakhs||INR 10 lakhs – 20 lakhs|
|Eligibility||60% in BSc or BTech||60-70% in any relevant bachelor’s degree|
|Top Institutes||IIM, Christ University||Shankarlal Khandelwal Arts & Science College, Bishop Heber College, etc.|
|Job Option||Product Manager, Material Analyst, Purchase Officer, etc.||Quantitative Analyst, Actuarial Analyst, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4 lakhs – 8 lakhs||INR 5 lakhs – 7 lakhs|
Roles and Responsibilities
An MBA in Material Management will help you explore key managerial profiles in supply chain and logistics. As a supply chain manager, you will be handling the following key responsibilities:
- Working closely with the logistics department to recognize the supply needs.
- Developing reports listing the requirements of vendors and clients.
- Engaging in negotiations and identifying potential vendors.
- Overseeing manufacturing processes
- Monitoring the inventory and access to various materials. You would be in charge of checking the material quality, its movement, and the expenditure.
Material, Logistics, and Procurement are some of the major areas of specialisation.
Public College ranges from – INR 50k – 1 lakh
Private College ranges from – INR 5 lakh – 10 lakhs approx.
CAT, XAT, GMAT, MAT, IBSAT, and NMAT entrance are the most popular entrance exams.
If you want to get into a high-ranked university, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.