The study of computers and computing, including their theoretical and algorithmic foundations, hardware and software, and data processing applications, is known as computer science. Algorithms and data structures are studied in computer science. The other courses in computer science include computer and network design, data and information process modeling, and artificial intelligence. The following blog provides you with the information you would need regarding becoming a computer scientist!
This Blog Includes:
- Who is a Computer Scientist?
- What does a Computer Scientist do?
- Skills Required
- How to become a Computer Scientist?
- Computer Scientist Courses
- Documents required
- Application Process
- Top Universities Across the World as per QS 2022
- Top Colleges in India as per NIRF 2021
- Scope of a Computer Scientist
- Average Salary
Who is a Computer Scientist?
Computer science combines elements from queueing theory, probability and statistics, and electrical circuit design because some of its underpinnings are based on mathematics and engineering. Computer science contributes to the conception, production, measurement, and development of novel algorithms, information structures, and computer systems.
What does a Computer Scientist do?
Computer scientists are regularly hired by software development companies. Their responsibilities include coming up with fresh technology advancements. While other employees at a software company may be working on current technologies, a computer scientist is thinking about how to make that technology more sustainable and efficient. If they have the relevant expertise, computer scientists can also work in software engineering or as IT consultants. They might also be able to find work at research institutes or universities.
On the job, computer scientists use technology to solve issues and plan for the future. They also write and develop software to create applications. However, they are primarily concerned with validating and building models for human-computer or software-device interaction. Computer science is a broad subject with job opportunities in a variety of industries.
- Exceptional math skills
- Excellent computer and technological abilities and expertise.
- The ability to analyse issues and trace them back to their source
- A methodical approach to problem-solving and work
- An obsessive perfectionist
- An excellent capacity to foresee and diagnose difficulties
- The ability to organise and categorise massive amounts of data
How to become a Computer Scientist?
- Attain a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a similar discipline.
- A master’s degree in computer science or computer engineering is a great way to advance your career.
- Think about specializing in a particular field like AI or Cloud Computing
- Consider pursuing a Ph.D.
- Get your first job as a computer scientist.
Computer Scientist Courses
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Computing in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Mathematics in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
Specializations for Master’s and Ph.D. courses
- Machine Learning (ML)
- Data Science
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Software Engineering
- Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Cloud Computing
- Information Systems
- Digital / Interactive Media
To be qualified for the B. Sc. in computer science degree programs, you must meet the following requirements:
- Students must have completed their 12th grade in physics, chemistry, and maths in the science stream (PCM),
- Students with science courses in physics, chemistry, and biology may be admitted to several private colleges (PCB).
- Some colleges accept students from different academic disciplines as well.
- Aadhar card
- Birth certificate
- Domicile certificate
- Bonafide certificate
- marksheet + passing certificates of X
- Marksheet and passing certificates of XII
- CET scorecard
- JEE Mains scorecard (if applicable)
- Facilitation centre (FC) letter
- Letter from the Admission Reporting Center (ARC) (received against the exchange of FC letter)
- Net banking / Demand Draft (amount varies as per college)
- To be eligible for graduate programmes, applicants must have received (or be about to receive) a four-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent. The country in which the applicant received their degree determines eligibility. The degree of most Indian colleges is acceptable if it is recognized by a governing body like AICTE.
- Applicants must have a 3.0/4.0 GPA or above in their last two years of undergraduate study to be considered for graduate studies at the top colleges in the USA. The GPA varies from college to college and you should check with each college.
- Applicants with a master’s degree in computer science or computer engineering can apply for doctoral programmes.
- Examination scores of standardized tests like GRE or GATE might be required for some colleges. You should check individually and meet all the requirements as getting admission in computer science courses is pretty competitive.
Top Universities Across the World as per QS 2022
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||1|
|University of Oxford||2|
|University of Cambridge||4|
|California Institute of technology||6|
|Imperial College London||7|
|University of Chicago||10|
Top Colleges in India as per NIRF 2021
|Indian Institute of Technology, Madras||1|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi||2|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay||3|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||4|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee||5|
Scope of a Computer Scientist
- The course leads to a variety of employment and career opportunities, with an average salary of roughly INR 6 LPA. BSc Computer Science is one of the top paying BSc specialties since it leads to a variety of jobs and career options.
- Banks, IT departments of top MNCs, Technical Support, Software Development, System Maintenance, Research & Development, Tech Consultancies, Security & Surveillance, and other sectors offer placement chances at India’s best BSc Computer Science Colleges.
- Basics of Computer Programming, Computer Organization, Operating Systems, Data Structures, and other courses are covered in the BSc Computer Science programme, which involves both classroom and lab training.
The salary range as per Glassdoor is given below:-
|Adobe||INR 13-62 Lakh|
|Capgemini||INR 3.8-4.2 Lakh|
|IBM||INR 6-7 Lakh|
|Tech Mahindra||INR 4 Lakh|
|Microsoft||INR 50-54 Lakh|
|Jio||INR 15-16 Lakh|
|BlackRock||INR 8-9 Lakh|
|Simpl||INR 18-20 Lakh|
|Shoppers Stop||INR 6-7 Lakh|
If you would like some guidance on how to become a computer scientist or how to apply to top colleges, kindly consult Leverage Edu. The scope of computer science is increasing with the application of IT increasing in all the fields. An expert from Leverage Edu can help you make the right move.