With the growth in the Aviation industry, the number of opportunities in the field has shot up. Universities across the world now offer a wide range of courses like Aerospace Engineering, Aviation Management, and Aeronautical Engineering at the graduate and postgraduate levels. For the proper functioning of the aircraft and to ensure the safety of the passengers, many technologies are employed. While building an enormous aircraft like an airbus is certainly an engineering marvel but its maintenance is a tedious task. Aircraft Maintenance Engineering or AME course is one such program that imparts knowledge and equips students with skills to ensure the proper functioning of various aircraft. The graduates perform routine checks, do overhauling, repairing, and other maintenance-related activities of the aircraft. With lucrative salary packages, a career in this field has great growth opportunities. In this blog, we will shed light on one of the unexplored engineering branches.
This Blog Includes:
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course Highlights
- What is Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Courses and Institutions
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Course Duration
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Top Entrance Exams
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Admission Process
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Courses fee
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Skills Required
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Top Colleges in India
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Recommended Books
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Future Scope
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Job Prospects
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Work Profiles
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course Highlights
|Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
|10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
|INR 1,50,000 – INR 4,55,000
|INR 4,00,000 – INR 7,00,000
What is Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering is the subset of Aerospace engineering and is taught both at bachelor’s and master’s levels. The course focuses on training students to handle the various aspects of aircraft maintenance and operation like troubleshooting problems, conducting regular inspections, and making repairs. Running for 1-4 years, the intensive programs demand a high level of dedication and seriousness from the candidate. After pursuing a degree or a course in this field, you can choose to work with top airlines and draw a handsome salary.
Also Read: Career in Aircraft Engineering
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Courses and Institutions
A range of courses is available when it comes to earning a formal degree in the field of Aircraft Maintenance. Further, those who do not wish to pursue a degree program can opt for a diploma course. Studying such programs from reputed institutions will act as a launchpad to kickstart your career in this field. Tabulated below are some of the AME courses offered by various universities across the globe:
|Advanced Diploma in Aviation Technology – Aircraft Maintenance and Management; Diploma in Aviation Technician – Aircraft Maintenance
|University of South Wales
|BSc (Hons) in Aircraft Maintenance Systems and Management
|Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
|Southern Illinois University Carbondale
|Bachelor of Science in Aviation Technologies, Aircraft Maintenance
|Newcastle College University Centre
|BSc (Hons) in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
|Wrexham Glyndwr University
|Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
|Universiti Kuala Lumpur
|Diploma in Engineering Technology in Aeroplane Maintenance
|Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Course Duration
The length of the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering program is made up of academic sessions and practical training. The student will complete two years of theoretical training in a DGCA-approved AME institute, followed by live training at DGCA-approved enterprises. The candidates will receive a license from the DGCA after clearing the modules and completing the practical training. The licensed AME can work in the commercial or public sector anywhere on the globe.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Top Entrance Exams
- AME Common Entrance Test (AME CET)
- All India AME Examination (AIMEE)
- All India AME Entrance Examination (AIAEE)
- AME Common Aptitude Exam (AMECAT)
- Joint Entrance Examination (AME) or JEE-AME
- Indian Aerospace and Engineering Entrance Examination (IAEEE)
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
Engineering students interested in pursuing the AME programme must meet the following requirements:
- Candidates must have completed the 10+2 board exam in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM), or an equivalent AICTE approved 3-year engineering diploma in any stream, or any higher qualification in science with Physics and Mathematics, at the time of enrollment.
- The candidate must have received a minimum of 45 percent in PCM or equivalent in 10+2.
- Candidates who are qualified for B.Tech admission are also eligible for the AME program.
- Candidates must be between the ages of 16 and 28 at the time of application.
- Candidates must be colorblind and free of any physical limitations.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Admission Process
As part of the admissions process, entrance exams are necessary. After passing the entrance exam, students will be admitted to one of the DGCA-recognized institutes based on their rankings and the counseling procedure. For applicants who have passed the 10+2 board exam, the admission tests contain three to four sections: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, General Awareness, and English. The portions of the AME entrance test for applicants with a three-year Diploma in Engineering/BTech/Higher degree in Science with PCM will be English, General Awareness, and Aptitude Test.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Courses fee
The cost of an aircraft maintenance engineering course varies depending on the license chosen and from institution to college. In certain AME institutions, AME course prices range from 3 to 6 lakhs, and AME course fees are often exorbitant for NRI students. The costs are determined by the AME institute that the candidate selects during the AME CET entrance counseling process. The applicant must pay the charge semester by semester, and some banks provide various education loan options so that the student may complete his or her study, make money, and pay the bank back later. The state government also awards a scholarship based on the candidate’s academic performance.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Skills Required
- Optimistic outlook
- I’d like to work in the aviation industry since I’m passionate about it.
- Innovative and creative
- Problem-solving abilities Responsibilities
- Exceptional at picking up new abilities
- Having an inquisitive spirit and a desire to learn new things
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Top Colleges in India
- Institute of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Gorakhpur
- Indian Institute of Aeronautics, New Delhi
- Bharat Institute of Aeronautics, Patna
- JRN Institute of Aviation and Technology, New Delhi
- Star Aviation Academy, Gurugram
- Regional Institute of Aviation, Kerala
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Recommended Books
|Name of the Book
|Aircraft electrical systems
|E. H. J. Pallett
|Basic Electronics & Radio Installation: An Aviation Maintenance Foundation, Inc. Training Manual
|Modern Aviation Electronics
|Albert D. Helfrick
|Jet Aircraft Power Systems
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Future Scope
- This degree has a wide range of applications since it leads to a job in airlines, which is one of the highest-paying industries.
- Candidates can become licensed engineers, which are in high demand at all levels, including defense, traveling airlines, international airlines, and so on.
- Because there is a growing need for AMEs both in India and overseas, individuals can find attractive job opportunities in both the private and public sectors in India and abroad.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Job Prospects
From working with national and international carriers to aircraft manufacturing firms, pursuing AME courses will open door to an array of career opportunities in the aviation industry. You would be tasked to look after the commercial as well as other types of aircraft like helicopters and seaplanes. With greater opportunities to grow and learn in the field, the jobs in the aviation sector will help you put your engineering skills to effective use. Listed below are some of the popular employment areas:
- Line Maintenance
- Aircraft Parts Manufacturing Companies
- Warehousing Companies
- Aviation Corporations
- Flying Clubs and Academies
- Engineering Division of the Aviation Sector
- Civil Defence Forces
- Technical Publications
- Utility Companies
- Local Authorities
- Government Agencies
- Armed Forces
- Research Facilities
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: Work Profiles
Depending on the nature of work, an Aircraft Maintenance engineer can perform a variety of roles. From working as a Technician to an Academician, there are numerous job profiles you can work in after completing pursuing Aircraft Maintenance Engineering courses. Some of the suitable profiles have been listed below:
- Aircraft Technician
- Aircraft Maintenance Avionics Engineer
- Mechanical Maintenance Engineer
- Hardware Design Engineer
- Production Planning Engineer
- Lecturer and Professor
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer: Salary
There will be actual training in a flying environment as part of the AME course. The candidate would be paid a stipend ranging from 15K to 25K per month while undergoing practical training. Candidates will get an AME license from the DGCA, Government of India, after completing two years of training and passing all courses. After obtaining the AME License, the candidate’s remuneration package will be quite attractive. An AME’s average annual compensation, according to the pay scale, is INR 40 lakhs. AME is the hottest job in town, and it entails being in charge of the aircraft’s safety and security, as well as the safety and security of its passengers. Not only does this work pay well, but it also commands a lot of respect. The remuneration of an AME is quite high both in India and overseas.
Hopefully, with this blog, you are now familiar with the various aspects of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering. A broad range of courses with lucrative salary packages has made it a popular choice for many engineering aspirants. If you want to start a career in this fascinating industry but are not sure about how to get proceed with it then the experts at Leverage Edu will lend you a helping hand. Using our AI tool, our experts will help curate a list of the best universities for you and help you take a step toward building a strong career in this field. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.