Counted among the top 20 universities in the world, the University of British Columbia (UBC) is a world-leading centre of teaching, learning and research excellence. With its two main campuses located in Vancouver and Kelowna, the UBC has emerged as one of the most sought after universities for both undergraduate and graduate studies. With its motto “It is Yours”, UBC aims to create a progressive atmosphere for its students where they can grow, innovate and get equipped to change society. UCB offers a number of short-time and full-time courses to its students in diverse fields. Due to all this, there is tough competition to become a part of this prestigious institution. Scroll through this blog to know the University of British Columbia Acceptance Rate.
This Blog Includes:
- University of British Columbia Rankings
- University of British Columbia Acceptance Rate for Bachelors Courses
- University of British Columbia Acceptance Rate for Masters
- UBC Eligibility Criteria
- UBC Application Process
- Popular Intakes
- UBC Campus
- University of British Columbia: Fees
- UBC Scholarships and Financial Aids
- Popular Courses in UBC
|Total Number of Students||56,921|
|Number of International Students||19,262|
|Number of Undergraduate Degrees awarded||10,468|
|Number of Master’s Degree||2965|
|Number of Doctoral Degrees awarded||1009|
|Number of research only staff||884|
|Total number of academic staff||2894|
|Number of International Staff||1245|
University of British Columbia Rankings
The University of British Columbia is ranked #35 in Best Global Universities. Here’s how the university has been ranked depending upon its various departments.
- #35 in Best Global Universities
- #2 in Best Global Universities in Canada
University of British Columbia Subject Rankings
- #41 in Agricultural Sciences
- #47 in Arts and Humanities (tie)
- #42 in Biology and Biochemistry
- #21 in Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology
- #44 in Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems (tie)
- #83 in Cell Biology
- #177 in Chemical Engineering (tie)
- #168 in Chemistry (tie)
- #64 in Civil Engineering
- #33 in Clinical Medicine
- #52 in Computer Science
- #164 in Condensed Matter Physics (tie)
- #73 in Economics and Business
- #24 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- #88 in Endocrinology and Metabolism (tie)
- #140 in Energy and Fuels
- #65 in Engineering
- #11 in Environment/Ecology
- #31 in Food Science and Technology
- #58 in Geosciences (tie)
University of British Columbia Acceptance Rate for Bachelors Courses
As one of the top universities of the world and Canada, UBC witnesses fierce competition every year from aspirants who wish to be a part of UBC. The acceptance rate at the University of British Columbia is over 50% for Bachelors level courses. The admission process of the University is one such which provides the candidates with ample opportunity to showcase their skills and make a place for themselves in UCB solely on the basis of their academic standing.
University of British Columbia Acceptance Rate for Masters
There are a number of graduate programs at the University of British Columbia to choose from. Starting from Accounting, Education, Global Change, Manufacturing, Religion and Ethnicity, UBC offers a variety of options ranging in diverse fields. When it comes to graduate courses, it is highly competitive compared to its undergraduate programs. The acceptance rate of the University of British Columbia for masters programs is 18%. If you want to be amongst this 18% you need to show incredible academic performance and along with it a sense of strong individuality.
Here’s a complete guide on Masters in Canada!
UBC Eligibility Criteria
The undergraduate students at the University of British Columbia can choose from a number of courses related to varying fields including Business, media, fine arts, linguistics, law, politics, history, etc. Depending on your skills and interests you can choose the right course for yourself.
In UCB, every course has a specific step of eligibility criteria that you need to fulfil in order to make a place for yourself in it. But there are some basic requirements that every UCB aspirant needs to fulfil in order to be eligible for applying.
- Must have completed their high school from a reputed institution with commendable academic performance.
- International students must have taken any one of the English language proficiency tests within 24 months of the submission of the application. Applicable tests include IELTS, TOEFL, CAEL, PTE.
Postgraduate and Research-based Courses
- The candidate wishing to pursue a masters from UCB must have completed their undergraduate from a reputed institution. Doctorate (PhD) level aspirants must have a masters degree in any related field. For India candidates, the University must be accredited by India’s National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with a grade of A or better.
- Must have finished bachelor’s/ masters with a first-class division or equivalent CGPA.
- International students must have taken any one of the English language proficiency tests within 24 months of the submission of application. Applicable tests include IELTS, TOEFL, CAEL, PTE.
Must Read: University of Toronto Acceptance Rate
UBC Application Process
The best way to prepare for your application is to prepare ahead of time. The application procedure for the University of British Columbia takes place online through their official website for both undergraduate and graduate programs. You can register yourself through the link given below and then log in to submit all the necessary documents to complete the application procedure. Here is the application portal link.
- The application process for both the programs is easy to follow. Candidates are required to register online and fill out the form for their desired courses.
- Candidates can to multiple programs at the university, however, the application form and the program fees will be separate for each program.
- UBC offers two campuses- Vancouver and the Okanagan and students can choose between either campuses.
- Candidates have to meet the general requirements, degree- specific and language skills.
- The application form consists of sections like personal details, academic details and personal profile where candidates have to write an essay on their experience, strengths and interests. All these sections are important part of the application process and need to be addressed.
Now that we have examined the University of British Columbia acceptance rate, let’s look at the popular intakes for the university. The university offers two major intakes:
- Summer Intakes (May to August)
- Winter Intakes (September to April)
The University has two main campuses which are located in Vancouver and the Okanagan Valley. The main campus in Vancouver is near several beaches and boasts views over the North Shore mountains. There are a number of botanical and memorial gardens on campus as well as a renowned performing arts centre.
UBC’s Vancouver campus is situated in more than 400 hectares at a location 30-minute bus ride to the heart of downtown Vancouver.
- The campus has two additional sites: UBC Robson Square and Great Northern Way
- Home to some excellent facilities, including:
- The Centre for Interactive Research in Sustainability (CIRS);
- Museum of Anthropology, Canada’s largest teaching museum;
- UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research.
- Out of 54,863 students on the campus, 28.1% of the population is international students.
University of British Columbia: Fees
The University of British Columbia maintains 100% transparency and uploads course-wise tuition fees for its students to compare. The tuition fees for UG courses for international students range between $38,000. to $50,000 (can be more). Here is the list of popular courses and their tuition cost-
|UG Courses||Tuition Cost for International Students|
|Commerce||$53,254.50 (INR 39,92,128)|
|Design in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Urbanism||$41,857.80 (INR 31,37,764)|
|Media Studies||$41,156.40 (INR 30,85,215)|
|Pharmaceutical Sciences||$42,395.70 (INR 31,78,095)|
|Nursing||$41,234.40 (INR 30,91,062)|
UBC Scholarships and Financial Aids
Committed to the cause of aiding education for the excellent academic and extracurricular achievers around the world, the university offers various scholarships to study in Canada for international aspirants. Apart from scholarships, they can also avail of various other financial aids in the form of grants, bursaries, and awards. Some of the UBC Scholarships available for international applicants are:
|Scholarships/Awards||Award Amount||Awarded to||Frequency|
|International Major Entrance Scholarship||$11,979- $14,973 (INR 8,97,992 – INR 11,22,434)||Exceptional international students entering undergraduate programs||Renewable for up to 3 additional years of study|
|Outstanding International Student Award||$4,492-$10,481 (INR 3,36,737 – INR 7,85,696)||Meritorious international students who display involvement outside of the classroom||One-time, merit-based entrance scholarship|
|Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award||Full-ride scholarship||International undergraduate students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and community service||Renewable for up to 3 years of duration of the program|
|Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award||Full-ride scholarship||Meritorious international undergraduate students from underprivileged or war-torn areas who would be unable to attend university without financial assistance||Renewable for up to 3 additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion|
Popular Courses in UBC
- Behavioural Neuroscience
- Civil Engineering
- International Relations
The low acceptance rate and the level of competition make getting into UBC a difficult task. But if you have the right qualifications and fulfil all the eligibility criteria then you can make a space for yourself in this esteemed organisation.
The University of British Columbia is one of the top public universities in Canada. It was ranked #45 in QS Global World Rankings 2021.
The University of British Columbia is one of the four Universities which come under the category of the “Canadian ivy” and that explains the high acceptance rate of UBC.
The acceptance rate is over 50% for bachelors courses while 18% for masters courses.
We hope that this blog gave you all the information regarding the University including the acceptance rate of the University of British Columbia. But in case you have any other queries related to UBC, you can always contact Leverage Edu experts who are ever ready to help you out. So, sign up for a free session now.