How does it feel when you are able to make a difference in society through your words? Ever thought how powerful words can be, influencing almost every sector and every individual in the world. If you are someone who is interested to make a career in the media sector, the Mass Communication course is the ideal way to start your journey. With great emphasis on the theoretical and cultural approach and use of techniques and concepts of other subjects such as Anthropology, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Sociology and Philosophy, Mass Communication offers lucrative career options for Indian students planning to study abroad. So without taking much time, let us pool into different aspects of mass media course in foreign universities.
This Blog Includes:
A bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication generally lasts for 3 to 5-year depending on your course specialization, structure and the university offering it. The graduate-level program, on the other hand, ranges for 1 to 2-year depending on similar parameters. On the other hand, postgraduate mass communication courses also include project works, thesis, internships, etc.
For pursuing different types of Mass Communication courses after 12th, students need to meet the following eligibility conditions as per the university standards:
- Completed 10+2 from a recognised board of education with the required passing grades.
- For those planning to pursue a Master’s degree, a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is a must from an accredited institution.
- Secured minimum required score in English-language proficiency such as IELTS, TOEFL or PTE.
- Clear any entrance test, if conducted by the university.
Note: These are general prerequisites, any specific information can be checked on the official website of the university.
Broad Specializations in Mass Communication
Now that you have decided onto pursuing the Mass Communication course, the dilemma is which specialization field to pick? Among the different types of mass communication, below mentioned are some of the top areas that you can consider as a great option:
- Journalism: If you love storytelling and like to gather information from the core and present it confidently, journalism career is just for you.
- Broadcasting: Broadcasting is best for students interested in sharing audio and visual content to a large mass of audience through the electronic medium such as TV, radio, etc.
- Public Relations: PR is actively engaged in maintaining a positive and cordial relationship between public and media or company and individual through press releases, promotional messages, public appearances, etc.
- Marketing: Marketing professional communicates the value of the company’s product to its customers. If you have strong persuasive skills, can pursue a masters in Marketing Management or build a career in Digital marketing
- Advertising: Being a subset of Marketing, Advertising involves the promotion of goods and services to potential customers through different types of mass media tools like TV, newspapers, billboards, radio, social media, etc.
Popular Mass Communication Courses
International universities offers Mass Communication at both undergraduate and graduate-level:
Undergraduate Level Courses
- Bachelors of Arts in Journalism
- Bachelor of Journalism
- Bachelors in Media Communication
- Bachelors in Communication
- Bachelors in Marketing and Media Communication
- Bachelors in Advertising and Public Relations
- Bachelors of Arts in Journalism
- Bachelors of Information and Communication Technology
- Bachelors of Arts in Media Communications
- Bachelors of Commerce in Marketing and Advertising
Graduate Level Courses
- Masters in Mass Communication
- Masters in Media Management
- Masters in Journalism and Media Industries
- Masters in Communication and Media Studies
- Masters of International Relations and Journalism
- Masters in Economic Journalism
- Masters of Science in Media and Communication
- Masters of Arts in Media, Communication and Critical Practice
- MBA in Communication
Best Universities to Mass Communication Course
Whether digital or print, we are bombarded by mass media every single day. It’s time to gain a competitive edge with a Mass Communication degree from a university abroad. Given-below are some of the top institutes offering excellent media and communication courses:
- Stanford University
- University of California, Berkeley
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Nanyang Technological University
- Monash University
- National University of Singapore
- New York University
- Cardiff University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The University of Melbourne
- University of Zurich
- The University of Queensland
Out of all the inventions, communication and media pictures one of the most universally understood language. Are you looking forward to being a news editor or TV show anchor, then pursuing a Mass Communication course can be a great way to start your career. You can reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and they can help you identify the right university get can equip you with the right communication skills and technical expertise to be a professional in this field.