The ever-evolving field of Computer Science engineering offers innumerable opportunities for prospective students to be at the forefront of technological innovation. From robotics and nanotechnology to space structures and weaponry, the systems of computer frameworks are at the center of the new-age world. Parallelly, the number of students looking to pursue a career in it has also risen steadily. If you too are a computer science enthusiast, read on to know about the options, universities and career options it offers.
This Blog Includes:
A degree in Computer Science Engineering can be undertaken at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Further, owing to the fact that computer science closely relates to allied disciplines of Robotics and Automation Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering as well as Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, students can choose from a huge repository of study combinations. IT, Data Science, Computer Systems, Cybersecurity, etc are some of the common specialized subfields of this discipline. The common categories of computer science and engineering courses which you can explore are:
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in Computer Application
- Diploma in Software Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application
- PG Diploma in Cyber Security
- BSc Computer Science
- BTech Computer Engineering
- BEng Computer Engineering
- MSc Computer Science
- MTech Computer Science
- MSc Computer Engineering
- MBA in Computer Science
- MBA in Information Technology
- Ph.D. Computer Science
Also Read: Computer Courses List
Eligibility & Admission
The eligibility criteria for admissions into Computer Science Engineering courses all over the world vary depending on the level or cycle of the program undertaken. Further, to secure admissions, candidates are required to submit the SAT exam score along with GRE/IELTS/TOEFL scores, a statement of purpose and letters of recommendation among other items.
- Bachelors: Passed Higher Secondary school with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects
- Masters: A science or engineering-oriented bachelor’s degree, namely, BSc, BTech or BCA.
- Doctoral: Typically a master’s degree in engineering or science-related field. Though many universities do consider students with a bachelor’s degree.
Note: The given eligibility criteria are only for indicative purposes. The procedure of admission courses in Computer Science Engineering adopted by institutions worldwide varies depending on the objective and structure of the program offered. Students are advised to visit the official university website.
Also Read: SOP Samples for MS
Computer Science Engineering: Universities
Besides the gold standard of Harvard University, Caltech, and MIT, Computer Science Engineering courses form part of recognized offerings of many world-renowned universities spanning continents, a few of which have been mentioned below:
|Name of the University||Country||Courses|
|Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich||Germany||1. MS in Data Science
2. MS in Software Engineering
|The University of Hong Kong||Hong Kong||1. BEng in Computer Science
2. BEng in Computer Engineering
3. MS in Computer Science
|Georgia Institute of Technology||USA||1. BS in Computer Engineering
2. MS in Computer Science
3. MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering
4. PhD in Computer Science
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||1. BEng in Computer Engineering
2. MTech in Software Engineering
|Northwestern University||USA||1. BS in Computer Engineering
2. MS in Computer Engineering
3. PhD in Computer Engineering
|The Australian National University||Australia||1. Bachelor of Software Engineering
2. Master of Computing
|Delft University of Technology||Netherlands||1. BSc in Computer Science & Engineering
2. MSc in Computer Engineering
|Purdue University||USA||1. BSc in Computer Engineering Technology
2. MSc in Electrical and Computer Engineering
|University of Glasgow*||UK||1. BSc Computer Science
2. BSc Computing Science
3. MSc in Computer Systems Engineering
* At this university, computer combinations with social sciences, languages, and humanities are also popular.
Note: Universities have not been ranked in the order that they appear.
Also Read: MS in Computer Science in Canada
Computer Science Engineering: Career Prospects
A discussion on Computer Science Engineering can not be over without going through the career prospects available to the graduating students.
- Software Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Applications Developer
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Web Analyst
- Network Engineering
- Cyber Security Analyst
- UX Designer
- IT Analyst
The popularity of courses in Computer Science Engineering and allied fields have made them a go-to option for upcoming high school and college graduates. Needless to say, it is important to choose a field according to one’s interests and aspirations. Through our free 30 min counseling session at Leverage Edu, you can align your career in consultation with an experienced team of experts and make an informed decision towards a rewarding career.