Bachelor of Education or more commonly referred to as BEd is a bachelor’s degree program that can be pursued by students from Arts, Commerce, as well as Science stream. This program has different connotations in India and abroad. In India, this course is considered to be a professional degree that opens the multifarious options that one can choose to get into the world of education and teaching. Though in most of the countries abroad, it is treated as an undergraduate degree in the arena of education that would though improve the candidate’s understanding of education-related fields, but not necessarily entail a career in teaching. Let us now explore more details pertaining to the course.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Applicants must be a graduate/postgraduate in any relevant field from a recognized University|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 5 lakhs (in India)|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-7 lakhs|
|Entrance Exams||DU B.Ed, IGNOU B.Ed, IPU CET, Bihar B.Ed CET, UP B.Ed JEE, etc|
|Job Positions Offered||Education Researcher, Counsellor, School Teachers, Education Consultant, Research Assistant, etc|
This Blog Includes:
- Is Bachelor of Education Same Everywhere?
- Understanding Bachelor of Education
- Universities to Pursue Bachelor of Education
- Popular colleges in India for Bachelor in Education
- Eligibility Criteria
- Types of B.Ed Degrees
- Bachelor of Education Curriculum
- BEd Courses and Specialisations
- B.Ed Future Scope
Is Bachelor of Education Same Everywhere?
The particular relevant qualifications to advance in the field of teaching that needs to be obtained at the university level are as follows:
- Bachelor of Education
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Hong Kong, and Singapore
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland
- Teacher Registration (in some countries)
- Qualified Teacher Status (in England and Wales)
Understanding Bachelor of Education
The BEd is a professional degree program that ranges from 3-4 years and is aimed at improving the skills and competency of an individual in order to equip them with the befitting knowledge about education. This program is structured to develop a perspective of the candidate to analyze teaching and learning, contemporary education systems around the world or at least of the particular country, to introduce the students with the curriculum and pedagogies, critical understanding of creating an inclusive environment and move beyond the societal biases and broaden our horizon.
Universities to Pursue Bachelor of Education
The thing with learning is that if you are learning, then, learn from the best. Hence, if you are progressing in the direction of attaining a BEd degree, then, the colleges enlisted below might interest you:
- Stanford University
- University of Hong Kong
- Harvard University
- University of Oxford
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Cambridge
- Peking University
- University of Toronto
- University College London
- University of Melbourne
- Taiwan University of Science and Technology
- Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Utrecht University
- Nanyang Technological University
Popular colleges in India for Bachelor in Education
Here is a list of some prominent and reputed colleges in India that are offering B.Ed programs:
- Delhi University, New Delhi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Guru Nanak College Of Education, New Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
- Kamal Institute Of Higher Education & Advance Technology, New Delhi
- Amity Institute Of Education, New Delhi
- Loreto College, Kolkata
- Banaras Hindu University, UP
- Central University of Rajasthan, Rajasthan
- U P Rajarshi Tandon Open University, UP
- Centre for Distance and Open Learning, Jamia Millia Islamia
- Karnataka State Open University, Bangalore
- Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya
Although the fundamental requirements to pursue a Bachelor of Education may vary as per the institution under consideration, but there are certain generalized prerequisites of universities around the world. Some of which have been given a rundown below:
- An undergraduate degree with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognised college/university or its equivalent.
- If the candidate has completed their postgraduation, then, a minimum of 55% marks in their postgraduate degree from a recognised college/university.
- Certified copies of the academic transcripts and other necessary documents.
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE score as per the requirement of the particular university or the country of their choice.
- Qualifying marks in any particular test as per the university.
- Proven evidence of the pertinent work experience including the references.
Types of B.Ed Degrees
The NCTE has made B.Ed mandatory for the teachers teaching students in public schools in India, which has resulted in a significant increase in demand for the B.Ed program. The course has been adjusted so that each applicant gets an equal opportunity. Let us now explore some of the prominent types of Bachelor in Education courses that are offered in India and abroad.
|Type of B.Ed Degree||Description|
|Full-Time B.Ed||A full-time B.Ed is a two-year professional program for individuals who wish to teach at the secondary school level (primary or secondary). The vast majority of candidates enroll in a full-time B.Ed program. Various state organizations and institutions hold admission tests for the full-time BEd program. The top BEd admission exams are RIE CEE, DU BEd Entrance Exam, IPU CET, and others.|
|Online B.Ed||Certificate courses are available for online B.Ed courses. The online course might last anywhere from a few hours to a few months. Admission to online B.Ed courses is offered all year and is done on a first-come, first-served basis. There may be a deadline for batch entry in some circumstances.|
|Distance B.Ed||Distance B.Ed is a two-year correspondence professional degree done by working professionals who are unable to enroll in a full-time B.Ed program. Distance B.Ed courses recognized by the UGC’s Distance Education Board (DEB) are legitimate and accepted for employment in government and private universities. Distance B.Ed admission is based on a merit list or an entrance examination. The different universities administer the admission test for distance B.Ed programs. For example, IGNOU, one of the most popular institutions for distance B.Ed programs, has its own entrance test.|
Bachelor of Education Curriculum
The B.Ed Syllabus is designed in such a way that students are well-versed in the problems that they would confront during their professional careers. The B.Ed syllabus has been modified in such a manner that applicants begin to grasp that teaching is about more than just finishing the syllabus, but also about communication and proper knowledge transfer. The whole B.Ed course/curriculum is structured into four semesters, each lasting 5-6 months. Although the B.Ed syllabus differs from university to university, the table below has been made to provide candidates an idea of the typical BEd syllabus.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Childhood and Growing Up||Learning and Teaching|
|Language across the Curriculum||Pedagogy of School Subject-1 – Part II|
|Pedagogy of School Subject-1 – Part I||Pedagogy of School Subject-2 – Part II|
|Contemporary India and Education||Assessment for Learning|
|Pedagogy of School Subject-2 – Part I||Knowledge and Curriculum|
|Understanding ICT and Its Application||School Attachment|
|School Exposure||Community living camp|
|Field Engagement activities||–|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Pre internship||Reading and Reflecting on Texts|
|Internship||Gender, School and Society|
|Engagement with the Field: Tasks and Assignments related to the internship||Arts in Education|
|–||Creating an Inclusive School|
|–||Health, Yoga and Physical Education|
|–||Engagement with the Field: Tasks and Assignments|
BEd Courses and Specialisations
Though a Bachelor of Education may open diverse career paths for you, with the aid of specialization, you would be able to complement your education with research projects and become a refined professional. You would have an area that would be your stronghold and narrow your vision to unique career goals. Hence, depending upon whether you want to work in elementary education, primary, secondary or senior-secondary education or become a lecturer at a university level or go into the field of administration in educational institutions, you can proceed with your specializations mentioned below:
- BEd Economics
- BEd in Secondary Education
- BEd Home Science
- BEd (Teaching) Early Childhood
- BEd Special Education
- BEd Information Technology
- BA (Hons) Education Studies
- BA in Elementary Education
- BA (Hons) Childhood, Youth and Education Studies
- Bachelor of Teaching Early Childhood Education
- BA in Philosophy and Modern Languages
- BA (Hons) in Childhood Studies
- BSc Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
- BSc (Hons) Education and Psychology
- Bachelors in Teacher Education
- BA Religious Studies, Archeology and Education Studies
- BA in Education (Special Education)
- BFA Teaching Certification
- BS in Elementary Grades Education
- BA in Child Development
B.Ed Future Scope
Candidates who complete this degree may pursue further education in the form of PG courses. Further education degrees that can be pursued by students are:
- M.Ed (Master of Education) is a 2 years postgraduate degree that can be pursued by the candidates after completion of the B.Ed course.
- A PhD or M.Phil in Education is a research-based course whose duration ranges between a minimum period of 3 years to a maximum period of 6 years.
Bachelor of Education graduates are eligible to apply for positions as instructors or teachers in government, public and private schools, and in a variety of other fields, with a variety of benefits linked to employment. B.Ed is one of the most popular and well-recognized programs. Because the education industry in India has a plethora of career options, after completing a B.Ed, one can work in schools, coaching centers, education consultancies, home and private tuition, publishing firms, and other settings. The following are some of the Bachelor of Education job profiles:
- Content writers
- Educational researcher
- Education therapist
- Principal, and more
A teacher’s beginning pay ranges from Rs. 3 to 8 lakhs per year. A high school teacher with years of experience, on the other hand, may make up to Rs. 12 lakhs per year.
Thus, we have tried to cover all the necessary information pertaining to the Bachelor of Education and we hope that we helped you in identifying if this was the course of your dreams. Hence, to pursue a career in education, you can take the aid of Leverage Edu’s AI tool to browse through multitudes of courses and colleges to find the perfect destination for your educational goals.