Masters in Engineering Management also known as MEM is a management degree in engineering which acts as a link between technology, engineering and management. The degree is a common choice by engineering graduates who wish to move up the corporate ladder. It is a management program which is more detailed than MBA or MIM and is specially designed for the engineers. The USA is quite a popular destination for pursuing a masters degree among the international students and so is the MEM degree. Read this blog to understand more about pursuing MEM in the USA
Must Read: Admission Process to Study in USA
MEM is a two year long program which offers the students a blend of engineering and management skills. Moreover, it keeps a learner abreast with the industrial engineering strategies, skills as well as concerns. The postgraduate course has a tendency to secure high paying jobs. Some of the subjects in MEM are-
- Computer Simulation for Risk & Operational Analytics
- Project Management
- Product Management
- Manufacturing Management
- Systems Engineering and Architecture
- Environmental Systems Analysis, Economics & Public Policy
- Applied Machine Learning
- Data Science for Business Intelligence
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
Also Read: Masters in Engineering Management in Canada
Why Study MEM in USA?
MEM in USA is a widely recognized course and the country offers students with some of the best universities in the world for pursuing this course. The core curriculum of MEM covers marketing finance, intellectual management and management law. The course provides students with the perfect blend of engineering and management skills. The USA has some of the premier educational institutions offering MEM degrees and provides world-class education to their students, thus becoming a desirable choice for pursuing the degree amongst the students. Here are some of the key reasons why you should think about pursuing MEM in USA-
- The USA offers the students with a great network of MEM students, alumni and faculty who have established their presence in this field and can provide the students with some really useful insights. The networking opportunities here are endless which is what matters the most.
- The US universities don’t just provide theoretical knowledge but believe in the practical nature of everything and thus they help the students understand the relation of engineering principles and management skills in a business setting through joint outreach ventures.
- The employment in this sector has gone up at a tremendous rate in the USA since the past couple of years. Therefore, the country has good career prospects for MEM graduates.
- The teaching system is what sets the country apart from many others. They always maintain the best teaching practices which are industry-relevant and innovative in nature.
- The country provides both full-time as well as part-time programs giving students the flexibility to choose whatever they find comfortable.
Top Universities for MEM in USA
Here are the top universities for pursuing MEM in USA.
- Cornell University
- John Hopkins University
- Duke University
- Northwestern University
- University of Texas at Austin
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dartmouth College
- Ohio State University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Colorado State University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Stanford University
- Columbia University
- University of Arizona
To qualify and study in the top institutes for MEM in USA, candidates are required to meet the eligibility criteria. They are mentioned below.
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or related sciences.
- 1-2 years of work experience.
- A valid GRE score (minimum-300) or equivalent GMAT score.
- English language proficiency scores such as IELTS (6.5-7.5), TOEFL (89-100) etc.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- A passport size photo
- A copy of your passport
- Academic background in Science, Engineering, Statistics, and Calculus.
Must Read: Masters in Engineering Management in Canada
Cost of Pursuing MEM in USA
The cost of pursuing MEM in the USA differs from university to university. However, an average tuition fee for an international student may vary from $ 50,000- $ 105,000 which also includes living expenses.
Check Out: Cost of Studying in USA
Scholarships for MEM in USA
Mentioned below are the various scholarships which are available for students to study MEM in USA.
- Fulbright-Nehru Foreign Student Program
- Go Clean scholarship
- Global Study Awards
- BrokerFish International Student Scholarship
Career Prospects after MEM in USA
In today’s competitive world, companies prefer candidates with both strong engineering and business acumen over candidates with pure engineering backgrounds, which makes this degree a highly desirable choice in the eyes of employers, thus giving you a competitive advantage over the others. An average salary of an MEM graduate ranges between 90,000 USD- 120,000 USD. However, there are a lot of factors affecting the salary such as the organization, the location and even the job title.
Here are a few domains which accept MEM graduates in high number-
- Product Management
- Marketing Management
- Data Analytics
- Application Engineer
- Automation Engineer
- Firmware Engineer
- Forensic Analyst
- Economics Consultant
Here is a list of some of the job positions for MEM graduates from the USA:
- Design Engineer
- Product Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Technical and Project Manager
- Project Coordinator
- Chemical Process Manager
- Quality Control Manager
- Automation Engineer
- IT Manager
- Director of hardware engineering
- Structural engineer
- Technical consultant
Top Recruiters for MEM graduates in the USA:
- Ford Motors
- Northrop Grumman
- Boeing Company
- Lockheed Martin
- Goldman Sachs
We hope that this blog was able to help you get familiarized with pursuing MEM in USA. Still confused regarding how to go about the whole process? Our Leverage Edu experts will help you find the right course and university as per your interests and career aspirations! Sign up for a free session now!