The USA is a country of democracy, cheeseburgers, french fries and more importantly the land of the free. Students from all around the world aim to study in the United States of America as it is home to the world’s best and largest universities and welcomes international students from around the world with culturally diverse backgrounds. The USA is also the country that is home to numerous accredited universities for higher studies. Universities for higher studies in the USA are divided into categories such as community colleges, research universities, vocational schools, and liberal arts colleges, which is why an MS in US is the most popular choice among students nowadays.
This Blog Includes:
Why You Should Pursue MS in US?
Apart from the grandeur and popularity of the institutes in the US, there are many other reasons to pursue an MS in the US. Universities in the US have dominated the world in terms of being the most popular choice for MS and that is probably because an MS from a university in the US has excellent international repute. The fact that the place is a centre of diversity also attracts students from around the globe to the US. Universities offering MS in the US also promise excellent support systems and facilities for the ease of foreign students. With the technological revolution bringing a lot of changes, the universities believe in investing in technology to help build a better classroom experience and advanced learning. Last, but not least, the universities have structured their curriculum in such a way that the students are entitled to as much freedom as necessary to follow their other passions, enrol themselves for part-time jobs, etc.
Must Read: Honest study in USA reviews
Application Process for MS in US
MS from the US is an exciting and path-defining option, but the only way to make it your reality is by deciding how to go about the process of applying for it.
- The first and foremost step is to be absolutely sure about the course, specialization, and college before you start with the process. After the decision stage, comes the next stage which is the test preparation. You have to prepare extremely well for your entrance examination, be it the GRE or GMAT. Also, in addition to these exams, IELTS and TOEFL are two other important examinations for your MS in the US. Making sure that your preparation is up to the mark is how you increase your chances of getting admission to your dream college in the US.
- The next step is the selection of the university. Make a list of 4-5 universities that fulfil your academic expectations and direct your pathway for your career growth. Ensure that you select a university that offers the specialization you want to excel in.
- The next step is the interview for getting a visa. This is an important step that requires an equal amount of preparation. Booking a date, preparation of different visa interview questions and finally giving the interview properly with full confidence is crucial.
- The next step is more significant from the perspective of once you reach the US. This step includes acquiring a work permit during your MS in US. This way you can start working after you graduate. This allows you to continue your stay in the US depending on the kind of work permit you are issued.
These are a few of the steps that need to be followed in case you are planning to do your MS in US. Taking care of numerous documents and medical procedures (in case it is required) are some of the other major steps that will help you plan out your MS in US in a better way.
Before applying for a course, it is generally advisable to go through the eligibility criteria of that course. Mentioned below are the general/basic eligibility criteria for studying MS in US which can differ from university to university and course to course:
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field (in which the candidate is planning to apply for MS) with an average GPA of at least 3.0 which means 65 to 70%.
- Proof of English language proficiency by taking an English proficiency standardised test such as IELTS or TOEFL.
- The candidate should have taken GRE and secured at least 290.
Candidate applying for MS in US needs to provide the following documents:
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Academic Transcripts from previous education institutions
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- Any published research papers
- English proficiency test score
- GRE / GMAT score
- Proof of any social or leadership activities
- Research/internship projects
Top MS Courses to Pursue in USA
MS program in the field of STEM disciplines from the US is quite popular among students. International students aiming for MS in US usually opt for disciplines like IT, Engineering, Computer Science, Business Studies, etc. Mentioned below are some of the popular MS courses:
- MS in Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI)
- MS in Petroleum Engineering
- MS in Computer Science
- MS in Embedded Systems
- MS in Power Engineering
- MS in Management Information Systems
- MS in Wireless Communications
- MS in Life Sciences
- MS in Game Design and Development
- MS in Pharmacy
Also Read: 1-Year STEM Courses in the USA
Best Colleges for MS in US
Here is a list of the best colleges for MS in the US along with their QS World University Rankings 2024:
|University Name||QS World University Ranking 2024|
|California Institute of Technology||15|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||64|
|University of Michigan||33|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||97|
The average cost of pursuing MS in US for an Indian student comes in the range of USD 30,000 to USD 120,000. However, it can vary depending upon the university and specialisation the student has opted for.
The average salary of an MS graduate in the USA is around USD 94,000.
After completing the MS student can work for up to 24 months in the USA in addition to 12 months for OPT.
We hope that this blog has provided you with the key information required if you are planning to pursue MS from the US. If you are planning to study abroad then experts at Leverage Edu can help you achieve your dreams. To connect with us simply register on our website or call us at 1800-572-000.