Indian students consider the USA to be one of the most popular destinations to study abroad. In 2021 alone, more than 1 lakhs students flew to the States from India to study at the top universities. However, international students have to face certain USA Visa restrictions in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Wondering which type of US Student Visa you should apply for? International students enrolling in full-time programs at US universities have to apply for an F1 Visa. Additionally, if you are enrolling in vocational or technical courses, you have to apply for M1 Visa.
Learn about how to apply for a student visa!
One thing to keep in mind as an Indian student is the visa restrictions for travelling to the USA now that the world is in the midst of a pandemic. As of December 2021, these are the protocols you must know.
Vaccine and Test Requirements under USA Visa Restrictions
It is compulsory that you are vaccinated before you fly to the USA. When you arrive in the USA, you have to provide a negative COVID-19 test and your vaccination certificate. You need to take the COVID-19 test one day prior to the air travel. At least 14 days must have passed after your second dose of vaccination.
In case you have been exempted from vaccination due to medical reasons, you must provide documentation for the same.
After you are at the airport in India and have provided a COVID-19 negative report, you have to submit your contact information to Immigration. This helps the government to better track the virality of the infection.
After Arriving in the United States
- Taking the COVID-19 test is recommended 3-5 days after your arrival in the USA.
- If you have recovered from COVID-19 within the last 90 days, you do not need to get tested after you arrive in the USA even if you are fully vaccinated.
USA Visa Restrictions for Not Fully Vaccinated Students
Follow these guidelines if you were granted a US F1 visa was granted to you without any vaccination requirements on special grounds-
- Get test 3-5 days after you arrive in the USA unless you have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.
- Isolate yourself for 7 full days at the place you stay, a hotel or quarantine camps even if your test comes negative in the USA.
- If your medical condition allows, you must get vaccinated in the USA within 60 days of arrival.
The USA has announced that all WHO-approved vaccines will be approved for international citizens wanting to travel to the USA.
As an Indian student with a US student visa, you should have the following travel documents on you when you are travelling to the USA from India-
- Valid I-20 form
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Funding/Financial Support
- Visa stamp on the Passport
- SEVIS I-90 Fee Receipt
- Semester Schedule for the Course you have applied to
These are the important rules that you must follow to enter the USA for overseas education. If you need guidance for your study abroad aspirations, contact LeverageEdu. Book a FREE 30-minute profile evaluation. Call 1800-572-000 today.