A Spain Study Visa allows you to study or train, take part in a student exchange, or work as an unpaid intern for more than three months in Spain. There are different types of Spanish Student Visas that are valid for different periods of time. Students need to apply at a Spanish embassy or consulate and provide a range of paperwork. In India, you can apply via the Embassy of Spain in New Delhi or the Consulate General of Spain in Mumbai.
This Blog Includes:
- Vaccinated Indians are free to travel to Spain post-August 6th despite the growing cases of COVID-19 in the country. Travellers are required to meet all the underlying conditions stated by the EU and Spanish authorities to enter the country.
- The travel is restricted to absolute necessity meaning students, a valid long-stay visa, health professionals, highly qualified workers, persons travelling for essential family-related reasons, diplomatic and consular personnel, transport personnel can enter the country.
- All Indians are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by the following vaccines:
- Janssen/Johnson & Johnson
- Travellers are required to carry a vaccination certificate, recovery certificate or a negative RT PCR test as proof of immunity.
- Travellers need to obtain the Health Control Form to enter Spain. This new entry requirement by the Spanish government to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Types of Spanish Visas for Students
- Visa-Free Permit valid for 90 days – This Permit is offered to students from countries eligible for visa-free entry (India being one of them) for a period of 90 days. This Visa is valid in case you have applied to a course that is shorter than 90 days.
- Short Term Student Visa (3-6 Months) – Short Term Student Visas are valid up to 180 days. The application process is less complicated as less paperwork is required. Students can take Spanish language courses and any short-courses offered by colleges and universities with this type of Visa. The duration of short-term Student Visas cannot be extended under any circumstance.
- Long Term Student Visa (The National Type D Visa) – This Visa is valid for a period of more than 6 months. In addition to completing the visa application, students are also required to apply for a student residence card at an immigration office within a month of arriving in Spain.
How to Apply
- Visa Applicants have to apply and enrol in a University in Spain. On the basis of your programme, figure out which type of Visa you need.
- Collect all the documentation and create an application package with the required documents, valid passport and photos.
- Book an appointment with either BLS, Embassy of Spain or Consulate General of Spain to submit your application. You’ll have to pay the required fees and await a decision.
*The Visa Application needs to be submitted 6 months prior (as of 2nd February 2020) In the case of Seafarers, they have to submit their application 9 months prior. You will be contacted if any additional information is required via either email or phone.
Though the required documentation may vary depending on your case, the general documents required are:
- A Completed Application Form
- A Valid Passport
- An Identity Card (Like a Driver’s License)
- Current Student ID
- Recent passport photos
- Letter of Acceptance from the course provider
- Travel Medical Insurance
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover stay (bank statements) – You require at least €538 per month to live in Spain.
- Proof of Accommodation in Spain
Also Read: UK Visa Application
Visa Processing Time
The Visa processing is handled by the Embassy of Spain, New Delhi, and the Consulate General of Spain, Mumbai. In the case of a Short Term Study Visa, the visa processing is undertaken by the BLS service, which results in additional charges. The location you have to submit your application to depends on where you live.
Listed below are the States/Union Territories and where they have to apply for a Spain Study Visa.
|Embassy of Spain, New Delhi||Jammu and Kashmir
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
|Consulate General of Spain, Mumbai||Gujarat, Maharashtra, Telangana, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa Chattisgarh, Pondicherry, and Tamil Nadu|
The Decision can take 30 to 60 days. After that, the Visa Processing of a National Visa can take up to 15 days while a Schengen Visa is typically provided within 4 days. Real-time may differ depending on the time of the year.
Must Read: Study in Europe
In order to apply for a National Visa, Indian Citizens have to pay an amount of ₹5,367. In the case of Short Term Visas, Students are exempted from the Visa Fees but are required to pay the BLS International Service Charge of ₹1,382.
Reasons for Rejection of Student Visa
There are instances in which your Visa is denied to you. Listed below are some of the more common reasons in which Visas have been denied:
- In case you Lack Accommodation or Sufficient Economic Means
- In case the Visa Officers are skeptical of your intentions to come to or leave Spain
- In case False or Invalid Documents have been presented
- In case the Applicant has a Criminal Record
Spain Study Visa Work Provisions
The Spain Study Visa allows students to work part-time or in a temporary position for the duration of the course, given that the following conditions are met:
- The maximum number of hours cannot exceed 20 hours a week
- The job must not interfere with the candidate’s studies.
In order for a Student Visa holder to get a job, the employer has to obtain a work permit from the Foreign Office. The employment contract cannot exceed the duration of the study visa. For internships that are part of a course, the work permit is not necessary
Must Read: Europe Work Visa
Study in Spain Without IELTS
Spain is a top destination not just for traveling but for studying abroad as well. There are versatile courses you can enroll into without IELTS if you have completed your previous education of more than one year in the English language. Here are the universities in Spain that offer programs to study abroad without IELTS:
- Universidad Antonio de Nebrija
- Pablo de Olavide University
- University of Valencia
- The University of Salamanca
You can also study in Spain without IELTS if:
- You are a native speaker of an English speaking country;
- Your previous degree of education is from an English Medium University/College;
- You choose to study in a Spanish Programme. The main Spanish test accepted is the DELE test (Diploma de Español Como Lengua Extranjera).
You can also provide any other official language certification such as:
- TOEFL(Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- FCE (First Certificate in English)
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English)
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage (BEC Vantage)
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
- Cambridge English Linguaskill
Must Read: Scholarships for Studying in Spain
Interested in studying in Spain? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu to get all the information you need for a successful Spanish Study Visa! Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE counseling session today.