Pharmacy is emerging as a thriving career field because of the ever-growing need for effective immunization and medicinal solutions along with the revolution brought by Biotechnologyin the world of medicine. If you are curious to explore the principles of dispensing prescription medications and ways to develop efficient immunization and health programs, a Diploma in Pharmacy is an ideal one to go for. Every country has different approaches to medicine and developing pharmaceutical skills among students, but there are plentiful short-term diploma programs in Pharmacy offered across the globe and in a varied range of specializations.
Pharmacy is a medical field which deals with preparation, distribution and appropriate use of medicines and drugs meant for therapeutic purposes. A diploma course in Pharmacy is a 1 or 2-year undergraduate diploma or certification course in the field of Pharmaceutical Science. Let’s explore more about this diploma program, the eligibility criteria and the different specializations offered in this course.
Why Pursue a Diploma in Pharmacy?
Every person has at least once got a medical prescription and has interacted with a pharmacist. These professionals and experts not just give medicine but also do a lot of other tasks like working on new medicines, carrying out research on immunization, etc. With the growing need for Healthcare, there has been a tremendous increase in career opportunities in the field of Pharmacy for those with the knowledge of Medical Science and excellent communication skills. Below are the major reasons why a career in Pharmacy is worth considering.
Interest in Science and Mathematics
Students with a deep interest in the scientific knowledge of drug metabolism and veterinary Pharmacy or performing pharmaceutical research can opt for a diploma in Pharmacy. With this passion and proficiency of learning about the use of medicines and drugs in therapeutic applications, you can help patients make informed decisions about proper usage, its utilization and dispensing medicine to humans as well as animals.
Passion to Build Connections
Pharmacists are known to be a link between the doctor’s prescriptions and the patient’s use of medicine. Therefore, they are working towards providing efficient patient-centred care. Moreover, pharmacists work with scientists and doctors to conduct research and develop new pharmaceutical practices in the healthcare industry.
Flexibility in Career Opportunities
Career opportunities in Pharmacy range from the nuclear Pharmacy which involves the use of radioactive drugs to cure cancer to veterinary Pharmacy which creates medications for animals. This develops an interest in students to choose from countless possibilities and explore their field of interest in Pharmacy.
Basic Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Pharmacy
Below is a list of basic requirement that need to be fulfilled in order to be eligible for a diploma course in Pharmacy:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- The minimum age required for the candidate is 17 years.
- The candidate should have completed 10+2 or equivalent with Science stream subjects such as English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Mathematics from a recognized or accredited institution.
- The minimum aggregate marks required are 50%.
- IELTS, TOEFL score.
- The candidate must submit official transcripts of their academic qualifications.
List of Diploma Programs
Diploma in Pharmacy offers a certification in the following list of courses:
- Diploma of Pharmacy Studies
- Pharmacy Technology Certificate
- National Certificate in Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician Programme
- Pharmacy Assistant
- Quality Analytics for Biopharma
- Pharmacist Prescribing Programme
Universities and Colleges Offering a Diploma in Pharmacy
Below is a list of major universities and colleges offering a diploma course in Pharmacy:
- University of Tasmania
- University of Bath
- University of Hertfordshire
- Humber Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
- University of East Anglia
- Aston University
- Wallace State Community College
- Open Polytechnic of New Zealand
- Academy New Zealand
- Institute of Technology Sligo
Advancing Career Options in Pharmacy
Students pursuing a diploma in Pharmacy always have an opportunity to advance their career by pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree course in Pharmacy. This helps them to understand the core concepts of Pharmacy and build a solid career in the field.
Bachelor’s Degree Courses
- Bachelor of Pharmacy or B Pharm or BS Pharm
- Pharm (Hons.)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy in Ayurveda
Also Read: B Pharm Syllabus
Master’s Degree Courses
- Master of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Pharmacy or Pharm.D
- PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Specialization Fields of Study in Pharmaceutical Science
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Community Pharmacy
- Nuclear Pharmacy
Job Prospects in Pharmaceutical Science
Pharmaceutical science offers a wide range of career opportunities in the following sectors:
- Research and development of new drugs, its formulation, process development, clinical trials and toxicological studies.
- Highly skilled staff working to maintain proper quality control and quality assurance of sensitive analytical dealings in sophisticated equipment.
- Professionals and experts for the production and manufacturing of biotechnological products, medical devices, surgical dressings, homoeopathic, ayurvedic or Unani medicines, veterinary medicines, cosmetics, dental products, soaps etc.
- There are several great opportunities in pharmaceuticals sale and marketing.
- Strategic and essential positions in hospitals allowing pharmacists to prescribe drugs and decide their dosage as well.
- Opportunities to work in regulatory bodies as a drug inspector, drug controller etc.
Job profiles for Individuals after earning a Diploma in Pharmacy are mentioned below:
- Consultant Pharmacists
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Dispensary Pharmacist
- Community Pharmacist
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Medicines Management Technician
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Pharmacy Assistant
- Scientific Officer
- Drug Inspector
- Drug Controller
- Technical Supervisor
- Quality Analyst
- Production Executive
Also Read: Medical Transcription Course
A diploma in Pharmacy is best suited for those who are unwilling to opt for a full-fledged bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy but aspire to explore this field in a shorter duration. If you’re not sure about the ideal course to start your career in the field of Pharmaceutical Science, the experts at Leverage Edu will guide you throughout the process of selecting the right course, making the application and getting shortlisted.