Pharmacy is one of the branches of Health Science which deals with the study of drugs, their preparation, testing, analysis, and their proper utilization to cure a multitude of diseases. You can kickstart your career in this field by pursuing a bachelor’s degree followed by a postgraduate program. The Master in Pharmacy or M Pharm is one such postgraduate course that can open doors to an array of career opportunities in this sector. Continue reading this blog to know all about the eligibility criteria, universities, and career prospects of the M Pharm course and understand the skills required to pursue this course.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Masters of Pharmacy in Pharmaceuticals|
|Eligibility||55% in B. Pharm|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam Based/Study Abroad Tests/Merit|
|Average Salary||INR 2,50,000|
|Top Recruiting Places||MNCs, Government Healthcare|
|Job Position||Researcher, Quality Control, Regulatory Affairs|
This Blog Includes:
- What is M Pharm?
- Why Study MPharm Abroad?
- Top Universities for M Pharm
- Eligibility Criteria for M Pharm
- Admission Process for M Pharm
- M Pharm Syllabus
- Important Books for M Pharm
- Career Prospects and Salary after M Pharm
- Top Pharma Recruiting Companies
What is M Pharm?
A 2-year, postgraduate degree program, M Pharm is an evidence-based, research and development course. The diverse curriculum of the course equips students with various instrumental techniques, industry-specific operations, and research methodologies. It offers an opportunity for students to specialize in subjects like Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics, Oncology Pharmacy, Pharmacognosy, Regulatory Affairs, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Industrial Pharmacy, etc. Thus, a bachelor’s degree can help you get a job, but a postgraduation course will help you develop the skills and competencies to build a strong career in this field.
Also Read: Pharmacology
Why Study MPharm Abroad?
Other than world-class education and exposure, here are some of the popular reasons why international students prefer studying MPharm abroad.
- The standard of medical facilities and infrastructure assist students to get a better practical experience while studying in foreign institutes.
- In some countries abroad, the M Pharm course is a four or five years undergraduate programs where students can upskill their methodological knowledge and complex process of formulating drugs.
- The course also involves students with dispensing and correct utilization of drugs in real-life professional situations.
Also Read: Master of Pharmacy in Australia
Top Universities for M Pharm
Candidates who are interested in pursuing an M Pharm course abroad should go through the following list of the top universities for studying M Pharm.
|Name of University||QS World University Rankings 2023|
|University of Oxford||4|
|National University of Singapore||11|
|Monash University, Australia||57|
|University of California, San Diego||53|
|University of Toronto||34|
|King’s College London||37|
|ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology||9|
|University of British Columbia||47|
Some additional universities are as follows:
- University of Cambridge
- Leiden University, Netherlands
- University of Nottingham
- University of California
- The University of Tokyo
- University of North Carolina, San Francisco
- University of Manchester
- University of Washington
Eligibility Criteria for M Pharm
Below mentioned are the eligibility criteria to pursue an M Pharm course abroad:
- The applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy or in a field related to it like Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, etc.
- The minimum eligibility criteria may vary from one university to another.
- Some universities may also require you to be a practising pharmacist or have relevant work experience.
- A valid IELTS or TOEFL score.
- A Pharmacy course involves the use of many chemicals, thus, having a clean criminal record is a mandatory provision.
- During the admission process, you will be required to submit a Statement of Purpose(SOP), Letter of Recommendation(LOR), an updated resume or a CV, application fee receipt, and Transcripts of courses you have completed.
Also Read: Best Courses after B.Pharmacy
Skills Required for M Pharm
Some of the main skills required for the degree of M Pham are listed below.
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Analytical Thinking
- Counselling Skills
- Strong Interpersonal and Business Management Skills
Admission Process for M Pharm
The application process for M. Pharm usually takes place through entrance based process in India. To get into abroad courses the process might be a little different as follows:
- First, shortlist the correct universities according to your requirements.
- Check what are the eligibility and requirement criteria of each university and make sure you are choosing the one where you fulfill all the eligibility criteria.
- Check what are the type of exam score cards required by the university.
- Fill up the application form with the accurate information
- Submit your SOP, GPA scores, TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores, an updated CV, reciept of the application fee, passport sized photo, 10+2 marksheets, and your diploma certificate.
M Pharm Syllabus
Here are the subjects you will be studying during your years pursuing M Pharm.
- Modern Pharmaceutical Analytical Techniques
- Drug Delivery
- Regulatory Affairs
- Modern Pharmaceuticals
- Molecular Pharmaceutics
- Advanced Biopharmaceutics
- Computer-Aided Drug Delivery System
- Cosmetic and Cosmeceuticals
Important Books for M Pharm
Some of the most recommended books for aspiring students pursuing M Pharm has been listed below.
|Name of Book||Name of Author|
|Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis||B.K Sarma|
|Pharmaceutics: The Science of Dosage Form Design||Aulton|
|Health Education and Community Pharmacy: For First Year Diploma||N.S. Parmar|
|Advanced Organic Chemistry: Reaction, Mehcnaism and Structure||Jerry March|
Career Prospects and Salary after M Pharm
The curriculum of this degree course is designed to impart deep knowledge and develop the necessary skills to build a strong career in this field. Thus, an M Pharm degree opens doors to an array of career opportunities across various industries. Here is a list of areas you can work on after completing the program:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Professor||You can teach students about the field. This is a very effective way of giving something back to the subject.||INR 4,50,000|
|Researcher||You can research and help in the formulation of new drugs which will play a factor in controlling other diseases.||INR 8,60,000|
|Quality Controller||Ensuring the quality of the drugs in the market||INR 2,30,000|
|Regulatory affairs||Preparing official documents with respect to export and import of drugs into the country||INR 4,50,000|
Work Profiles of an M Pharm Graduate
Some more work profiles that an M Pharm graduate can take up are as follows;
- Clinical Researcher
- Quality Analyst
- Pharmacovigilance Officer
- Drug Regulator
- Medical Writer
- Quality Control Manager
- Medical Representative
- Production Engineer
- Market Research Analyst
Also Read: B Pharmacy Subjects
Top Pharma Recruiting Companies
Below mentioned are some of the renowned companies which can offer jobs to M Pharm graduates:
- Dr. Reddys Laborotories
- Bristol-Myers Squibb(BMS)
- Merck and Co.
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
- Johnson and Johnson
No, M Pharm is a postgraduate degree, and after its completion, students can’t keep Doctor (Dr) prefix in front of their names.
B Pharm and M Pharm both have their own pros, though M Pharm is a postgraduate degree and is more focused on research and sciences.
A master’s degree in pharmacy is two years long.
Hopefully, this blog has given you a better understanding of the M Pharm course and its career prospects. If you want to pursue this program abroad but are confused about how to get started with the admission process then you can contact Leverage Edu. From choosing the right university to completing the admission process, the counsellors will help you at every step of your journey to success. Call us at 1800572000 to book a free consultation with our experts today!