If you are striving to build your career in the medical field then you must be aware of the wide range of degree programs available. Besides MBBS, there are a number of professional Medical science courses to pursue which are both rewarding and respectable. Even though the healthcare sector has seen tremendous growth in the past decade, a lack of experienced professionals in the field remains a cause of concern. To overcome the burden, new specialized courses and posts are being created and the roles of the existing ones are being more defined. Pharmacy courses, especially the Bachelor of Pharmacy, have become one of the popular and most pursued courses for a large number of aspirants who want to progress in this sector. This degree program equips the students with the professional skills to jumpstart a career in the pharmaceutical industry. In this blog, we will shed light on the various aspects of the B.Pharmacy course.
This Blog Includes:
- Bachelor of Pharmacy Highlights
- Bachelor of Pharmacy Course Overview
- Why Study B Pharmacy?
- Popular B Pharma Course Specializations
- Skills Required for B Pharma
- B Pharmacy Entrance Exams
- B Pharmacy Syllabus
- Bachelor of Pharmacy: Eligibility
- Bachelor of Pharmacy Course Fees
- Bachelor of Pharmacy Career Prospects
- Bachelor of Pharmacy: Top Universities
Bachelor of Pharmacy Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor in Pharmacy|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 3.5 – 6 LPA|
Bachelor of Pharmacy Course Overview
Pharmacists constitute an integral part of the healthcare system. While doctors are the professionals who diagnose, monitor, and cure diseases, pharmacists are the ones who develop diagnostic procedures and medicines through research. The b pharmacy course is an undergraduate degree program that lays special attention on medicinal research. The degree which ideally spans over 4 years gives a thorough understanding of prescriptions, medications, drugs and how drugs and diseases react in various situations. The Subjects in the course include Pharmaceuticals, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy. The comprehensive course trains you for the vast opportunities offered in the field. You can further boost your career prospects by specializing in any of the below-mentioned courses.
The course curriculum of this specialization program in the Bachelor of Pharmacy degree is concerned about studying how drugs react with the human body in different situations. The toxic effects of drugs, its absorption rate, effectiveness and usage of drugs for special cases are the key concepts studied in the specialization.
The aim of the specialization program is to teach students about various therapeutic practices, prescriptions, and direct care to patients. Clinical Practice is pivotal in disease prevention, optimizing medication and related processes in the improvement of healthcare which also includes communicating with the patient.
Microbiology & immunology
Taught alongside the degree program, the microbiology and immunology from an important aspect of the b pharmacy course. While Microbiology deals with the study of the anatomy of the micro-organisms like viruses, bacteria, and fungi to help develop the medicines to fight the disease-causing organisms. Immunology involves the study of the immune system of a human being and how diseases can be prevented.
The key component of the Bachelor of Pharmacy degree program, drug development course imparts knowledge on the types, nature, usage, and process involved in the manufacturing of drugs.
This part of the course is completely focused on acquainting the students with the technology used in the drug manufacturing process. It gives hands-on training in operating and understanding the modern technologies used in the industry.
Also read: Diploma in Pharmacy
Why Study B Pharmacy?
There are numerous compelling reasons why you should obtain a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy. Apart from assisting you in pursuing a career as a Medical Representative, Scientific Writing, Medical Scripting, Clinical Research, and so on, we will go through the extra benefits of getting this degree in detail.
- Government Jobs: You may be able to work for several government organizations and hospitals after completing your bachelor’s degree in pharmacy.
- Working with Patients: In addition to being a pharmacist, you will play an important role in the healthcare system by offering asthma care, cholesterol testing, diabetic disease management, and bone density scans, among other things.
- Working at a retail pharmacy, whether in a healthcare facility or the community, is the most apparent choice for pharmacists. The job includes offering people over-the-counter and prescription drugs, as well as counseling.
- A bachelor’s degree in pharmacy will not only offer you a steady job throughout your career, but it will also provide you the freedom to pick and work according to your preferences.
Popular B Pharma Course Specializations
B Pharma specializations include the following, which we’ve mentioned below:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Students learn about drug design, testing, and development in pharmaceutical chemistry, as well as how to safely use therapy or medicine. Students also study fundamentals of biology, engineering, and technology that may be used to design new procedures and processes.
- Pharmaceutics: Pharmaceutics is the study of topics related to pharmacies, such as biomedical analysis, pharmacokinetics, pharmacology, and pharmacodynamics. The creation, design, distribution, and usage of drugs for illness prevention and alleviation are all covered in this topic.
- Pharmacology:It is the study of biological principles in pharmaceutical responses. It comprises looking into the biological impacts, chemical qualities, and therapeutic uses of drugs.
- Ayurveda: This B Pharma speciality teaches students about the Ayurvedic medical system’s drugs and treatments.
Skills Required for B Pharma
- Both communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Medical and scientific research abilities.
- Curiosity and the ability to persuade are both important qualities.
- Business talents include marketing and organizational abilities.
- Both scientific and technological prowess is required.
- A quick memory and a wealth of information.
- Ability to counsel and treat others.
- Medical writing and ethics
- Ability to be persistent and consistent in one’s efforts.
- Adaptability to changing situations.
B Pharmacy Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Application Dates||Exam Dates|
|NEET UG||July 2022||September 2022|
|PUCET||July 2022||September 2022|
|MHT-CET||February 10, 2022 – March 31, 2022||2nd week of May 2022|
|BITSAT||February 2022||June 2022|
B Pharmacy Syllabus
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I – Theory||Human Anatomy and Physiology – Practical|
|Pharmaceutical Inorganic Chemistry – Practical||Pharmaceutical Inorganic Chemistry I – Theory|
|Communication Skills – Theory||Communication Skills – Practical|
|Remedial Biology/ Remedial Mathematics – Theory||Remedial Biology – Practical|
|Pharmaceutical Analysis I – Practical||Pharmaceutical Analysis I – Theory|
|Pharmaceutics I – Theory||Pharmaceutics I – Practical|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II – Theory||Human Anatomy and Physiology II – Practical|
|Biochemistry – Theory||Biochemistry – Practical|
|Computer Applications in Pharmacy – Theory||Computer Applications in Pharmacy – Practical|
|Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry I – Theory||Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry I – practical|
|Pathophysiology – Theory||Environmental Science – Theory|
|Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry II – Theory||Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry II – Practical|
|Pharmaceutical Microbiology – Theory||Pharmaceutical Microbiology – Practical|
|Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry I – Practical||Physical Pharmaceutics I – Practical|
|Physical Pharmaceutics I – Theory||Pharmaceutical Engineering – Practical|
|Pharmaceutical Engineering – Theory||——–|
|Physical Pharmaceutics II – Theory||Physical Pharmaceutics II – Practical|
|Medicinal Chemistry I – Theory||Medicinal Chemistry I – Practical|
|Pharmacology I – Theory||Pharmacology I – Practical|
|Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry I – Theory||Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry III – Theory|
|Pharmacognosy Phytochemistry II – Theory||Pharmacognosy Phytochemistry II – Practical|
|Pharmacology II – Theory||Pharmacology II – Practical|
|Industrial Pharmacy I – Theory||Industrial Pharmacy I – Practical|
|Medical Chemistry II – Theory||Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence – Theory|
|Herbal Drug Technology – Practical||——-|
|Medical Chemistry III – Theory||Medical Chemistry III – Practical|
|Pharmacology III – Theory||Pharmacology III – Practical|
|Herbal Drug Technology – Theory||Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics – Theory|
|Pharmaceutical Biotechnology – Theory||Quality Assurance – Theory|
|Pharmaceutical Analysis III – Theory||Pharmaceutical Analysis III – Practical|
|Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics I||Pharmacognosy IV|
|Pharmacology IV – Theory||Pharmacology IV – Practical|
|Pharmaceutical Technology IV – Theory||Pharmaceutical Technology IV – Practical|
|Medical Chemistry IV – Theory||Medical Chemistry IV – Practical|
|Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics II||Biopharmaceutics|
|Pharmacognosy||Clinical Pharmacy – Theory|
|Pharmacokinetics||Clinical Pharmacy – Practical|
Bachelor of Pharmacy: Eligibility
To secure admission in this professional undergraduate degree program, students have to clear the entrance exams conducted by the medical institutes. To be able to apply for the b pharmacy course course, you must have passed your 12th class exam with BiPC subjects i.e. Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. The reputed medical colleges and institutions receive a number of applications for the course which makes it among the toughest undergraduate exams. But using a strategic study plan, you can crack the entrance exam easily.
Bachelor of Pharmacy Course Fees
The cost of a B Pharma course varies by institution or school. The cost of a B Pharma course typically varies from INR 40,000 to INR 1,000,000. (annually). Candidates who fit into one of the restricted category groups or quotas are also given a stipend by each college/university.
Bachelor of Pharmacy Career Prospects
A career in Pharmacy can be exciting and equally rewarding. With the emergence of modern technologies, the health sector has seen tremendous growth which has led to the rising demand for professionals in the field. After completing your undergraduate degree, you can either pursue Pharmacist courses like an M.Pharm degree or can start working in the industry. A number of job profiles are available after completing your b pharmacy course degree. From Hospitals and community pharmacies to working as a lecturer or as sales professionals, the degree opens the door to a wide range of career oppututnties. Pharmaceutical Companies like Johnson & Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline, and Amgen are among the potential recruiters for the B.Pharma graduates. Depending on the job role and the type of company, the monthly salary of a Pharmacy graduate can range between 60,000-1 Lakh INR. Here is the list of the most suitable job profiles after B.Pharma:
- Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Quality Control Associate
- Drug Inspector
- Clinical Research Associate
|Top Recruiters||Average Salary (INR)|
|Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Limited||7 LPA|
|Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Limited||6 – 8 LPA|
|Wockhardt Pharmaceuticals Limited||4 LPA|
|Biocon Ltd||2.5 – 4 LPA|
|Divis Laboratories Ltd||3 LPA|
|Cipla Ltd||2.5 – 7 LPA|
Bachelor of Pharmacy: Top Universities
Studying a b pharmacy course abroad not only enhances your knowldege and skills but also increases your chances of being recruited by the top companies as the institutions abroad have close links with the industry specialists. Listed below are some of the renowned institutions offering this degree program:
- University of Alberta
- The University of British Columbia
- The University of Sydney
- University of Hamburg
- Charles Darwin University
- University Of Michigan
- University of Canberra
- PSB Academy
- Cyprus International University
- Lomonosov Moscow State University
By providing a dynamic working environment and a lucrative salary, a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree opens an array of career opportunities. If you are planning to pursue the degree but are not sure about how to get started with it then the experts at Leverage Edu will guide you throughout the process of university selection and will assist you in completing the admission related formalities.