To take admission in various undergraduate programmes like Bachelor of Pharmacy, Bachelor of Science, etc, in the prestigious institutes of the Karnataka, one has to clear the KCET Exam. So, in this blog, we will thoroughly understand all the details pertaining to the KCET exam and its related components.
This Blog Includes:
KCET Exam Dates 2021
Tabulated below are the exam dates of the KCET exam 2021:
|Name of Events||Dates|
|Availability of Application Form||4th week of February 2021|
|Last Date for Application||1st week of March 2021|
|Last Day for Payment of Application Fees||1st week of March 2021|
|Editing of Application Details||3rd week of March 2021|
|Availability of Admit Card||2nd week of April 2021|
|Date of KCET 2021 Exam||3rd week of April 2021|
|Result Declaration||Last week of May 2021|
|Counselling||2nd week of June 2021|
KCET is a common entrance examination for the state of Karnataka. It is conducted in offline mode and offers admissions to the full-time courses in Engineering, Technology, Pharmacy, Veterinary as well as Agriculture courses (Farm Science). More than 211 educational institutions across the state accept KCET scores for granting admissions.
|Types of Questions||MCQs|
|Sections||5 [Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Kannad Language]|
|KCET Duration||80 minutes per section|
|Number of Questions||60 per section|
|Marks Allotted||1 mark|
KCET Exam Pattern
Mentioned below is the exam pattern for KCET. You can have a look here:
- Mode of Exam: The exam will be conducted in offline mods
- Kind of Questions: The question paper will comprise MCQs
- Duration: The time given to complete each paper will be 80 minutes
- Marking Scheme: 1 mark will be awarded for each correct answer
- Negative Marking: If there is a wrong answer, there will be no negative marking
The distribution of marks for KCET 2021 is mentioned below.
Courses Offered Through KCET
KCET exam is a gateway to pursue a degree program from a list of courses offered by the universities in Karnataka. Tabulated below are the programs which you choose upon clearing the KCET entrance examination.
|BSc (Agriculture)||BSc (Sericulture)||BSc (Horticulture)|
|BSc (Forestry)||BSc Agri BioTech||BHSc (Home Science)|
|BFSc (Fisheries)||BSc (Agri Marketing & Co-Op)||BTech (Agri Engg)|
|BTech Food Technology||BTech (Dairy Tech)||BTech (Food Science &Tech)|
|BPharma||Pharma-D||2nd-year BPharma Lateral Entry course|
KCET Exam Participating Colleges
Here are the top participating colleges in KCET exam-
- Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur
- BVB College of Engg & Tech, Hubli
- National Institute of Engineering, Mysore
- RNS Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- B.M.S College of Engineering, Bull Temple Road, Bangalore
- MS Ramaiah Institute of Tech, Bangalore
- Shri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore
- Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- P.E.S. Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bangalore
Who is Eligible to Apply for KCET Exam?
In order to appear for any competitive exams, It is essentially important to follow all the guidelines issued by the concerned authority. Let us go through the eligibility criteria of KCET mentioned in the pointers below.
|Name of the Course||Eligibility Requirements|
|B.Tech||-The candidates must have passed Class 12th with a minimum of 45% of marks in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/ Biology/ Biotechnology.
-English should be one of the compulsory languages in Class 12th.
-For SC/ ST, the minimum qualifying marks is 40%
|B.Arch||-The candidates must have passed Class 12th with a minimum of 50% of marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
-The candidates must have appeared for NATA or JEE Main Paper 2.
-For SC/ ST, the minimum qualifying marks in Class 12th should be 45%.
B.Tech Agriculture EngineeringB.Tech Food Technology
B.Tech Dairy Technology
|-The candidates must have passed Class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology (PCMB) as the subjects.
-For admission through Agriculture Quota, the candidates must have to undergo a Practice Test, which will have 50% weightage in the admission process.
|B.VSc & AH||-The candidates must have passed Class 12th with English, Biology, Physics and Chemistry as the major subjects.
-There will be a Practical Test for B.VSc & AH applicants.
|B.Pharma||-The candidates must have passed Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as the major subjects in Class 12th.
-For the General category, the minimum qualifying marks in Class 12th should be 45% and the same for SC/ ST is 40%.
|Lateral Entry B.Pharma||-The candidates must have passed Diploma in Pharmacy|
|Naturopathy & Yoga||-The candidates must have passed Class 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as the major subjects.|
To qualify any entrance exam, it is important to stay abreast of important topics of the syllabus. Here is a table that lists down the section-wise syllabus of KCET.
|Subject Name||Topics Include|
|Chemistry||Unit I: Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry
Unit II: Structure of Atom
Unit III: Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
Unit IV: Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
|Mathematics||Algebra, Trigonometry, Two-dimensional Coordinate Geometry, Three-dimensional, Coordinate Geometry, Probability, Vectors, Statistics, Differential calculus, Integral, calculus, Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Programming.|
|Mathematics – Syllabus for PUC-I/XI Std/ Equiv. Algebra||Theory Of Indices And Logarithms, Progressions, Mathematical Induction, Theory Of Equations, Permutations And Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Partial Fractions|
|Physics||The behaviour of Perfect Gas & Kinetic Theory of Gases, Thermodynamics, Practical, Oriented questions, Oscillations & Waves, Kinematics. Properties of Bulk MatterGravitation, The motion of System of, Particles & Rigid Body, Work, Energy & Power, Laws of Motion|
|Biology & Zoology||Cell Biology & Genetics
The diversity of Plant Life on Earth
Histology & Plant Anatomy
Introduction to Ecology & Taxonomy
Tissues of humans
Nervous, Circulatory, Respiratory systems, etc. Origin Of Life
Animal Resources & Human Welfare
Organic Evolution, etc.
Note: The chemistry syllabus for 1st and 2nd year PUC qualified candidates are different. It is advised to go through the official website to understand this in detail.
KCET Application Process and Fees
The first step in the KCET application process is to visit the official site and register. You will then have to fill an application form online upon completing which, the fee has to be submitted. Tabulated below is the fee structure for KCET, 2020.
|Karnataka||GM, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B
SC, ST, CAT-1
|Outside Karnataka||GM||750 INR|
|Outside India||GM||5000 INR|
KCET Exam Counselling
The counselling for the KCET Exam is likely to be held in the month of June. Mentioned below are the important pointers related to it-
- Applicants are required to lock their choice of college and course at the start of the process.
- The candidates must abide by the eligibility and cut-off score to be eligible to undergo KCET 2021 Counselling process.
- They must have their KCET admit cards and carry with them to the Counselling process.
You will be needing the below stated documents for the counselling process of the KCET exam-
- KCET Admit Card/ Hall Ticket
- Karnataka CET 2021 Rank Card/Score Card
- Xth standard Mark Sheet
- XIIth Class Mark Sheet
- Print out of KCET Application form 2021
- Copy of Challan Original (As a proof of fee payment)
- Caste Certificate (In case of SC/ST/Candidates of other Reserved Categories) issued by the competent Authority
- Recent Passport size Photographs (Two)
- Domicile Certificate
- Income Certificate
- NCC/CAP/Sports/Minority Certificate if applicable
- Medical Certificate (In case of Physically Handicapped Candidates)
- Study Certificate signed by the concerned BEO/DDPI
- Residence Certificate
- Study Certificates from 6th Standard to Intermediate
- Aadhar Card
Preparation Tips for KCET 2021
If you want to excel in the KCET 2021 exam, you must refer to these preparation tips to study better. They are mentioned below.
- Before beginning with your preparation, it is advised that you know your syllabus and exam pattern properly.
- While going through the different topics and subjects of the exam, make sure to write down notes. Revise these notes every day.
- Make a time table and study according to it. It will help you schedule your studies.
- It helps to know the marking scheme of the exam. If you know which topic carries what weightage you will be able to give it the amount of time it needs.
- Assign one day for revision of one subject as the exam day comes near.
- Take adequate rest and make sure you eat well before the exam.
As discussed, the syllabus of the common entrance test is vast and needs good study material to prepare from. Here is a list of some of the KCET books that you can consider.
|Name of the Book||Author||Link|
|Karnataka CET Explorer for Engineering PB (Paperback)||MTG||Buy Here|
|KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test): 14 Years Solved Papers (2006 – 2019)||Arihant||Buy Here|
|Karnataka CET – Explorer Medical (Paperback)||MTG||Buy Here|
|Textbooks of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics||NCERT||Buy Here|
|New course Physics||Pradeep’s (Gomber and Gogia)||Buy Here|
|Principles of physics||S.Chands (V.K Mehta and Rohit Mehta)||Buy Here|
|Modern ABC chemistry||S.P. Jauhar||Buy Here|
The registration for the KCET 2021 exam will begin from the month of February 2021.
Yes, candidates belonging to class 12th will be eligible.
Students can fill the application form via the online mode.
No, there is no negative marking in the KCET 2021 exam.
Yes, candidates who belong outside of Karnataka are eligible to apply for the KCET 2021.
Hence, KCET is the right source for you to start your career in Health Science and Engineering. Certainly, meticulous preparation and hard work will help you go with the flow. Are you finding it difficult to choose your academic stream? Confused amongst a plethora of courses? Don’t worry! Book a free E-consultation session with our experts at Leverage Edu where they will assess your profile and recommend the most suitable university and programs for you!