AIIMS, Delhi is all set to appoint a new Director as the present director of AIIMS Delhi, Dr. Randeep Guleria is slated to retire on March 23. He is a renowned pulmonologist and is known for establishing India’s first center for pulmonary medicines and sleep disorders at AIIMS. His calm demeanor and nuanced understanding of diseases and medical expertise have helped shape policies on healthcare, safety measures, vaccinations during the pandemic. This blog includes everything you need to know about Dr. Randeep Guleria, from his education and qualifications to his salary.
|Born||5 April 1959|
|Alma Mater||Indira Gandhi Medical College
PGIMER in Chandigarh
Director- AIIMS, Delhi
This Blog Includes:
- Who is Dr. Randeep Guleria?
- Education and Qualifications of Dr. Randeep Guleria
- Dr. Randeep Guleria Career at AIIMS, Delhi
- Association with Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Notable Work of Dr. Randeep Guleria
- Dr. Randeep Guleria Recognition and Awards
- Facts about Dr. Randeep Guleria
- Salary of Dr. Randeep Guleria
- Dr. Randeep Guleria Retirement
Who is Dr. Randeep Guleria?
Dr. Randeep Guleria is an Indian pulmonologist, Professor, and Head at the Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Sleep Disorders at AIIMS, New Delhi, where he has been working for the last 25 years. Dr. Randeep Guleria is the incumbent director of AIIMS, New Delhi, and is all set to retire on March 23, 2022.
Education and Qualifications of Dr. Randeep Guleria
Dr. Randeep Guleria was born in Himachal Pradesh, India on 5 April 1959. He was born to Padma Shri Dr. Jagdev Singh Guleria who is a cardiologist and is the elder brother to Padma Shri Dr. Sandeep Guleria who is a well-known Indian surgeon. He is married to Dr. Kiran Guleria.
Dr. Guleria completed his high school education at St. Columba’s School, Delhi in 1975. Furthering to his high school education, Dr. Randeep Guleria began his medical studies at IGMC, Shimla, and received his undergraduate degree in Medicine. After his undergraduate degree in medicine, Dr. Randeep Guleria secured his MD in general medicine and DM in pulmonary medicine from the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research- PGIMER in Chandigarh.
Dr. Randeep Guleria Career at AIIMS, Delhi
Further to his MD and DM, he joined the AIIMS Delhi and became a professor and the head of the Department of Pulmonology and Sleep Disorders. Dr. Randeep Guleria is also associated with WHO as a member of the Scientific Advisory Group of Experts on immunization and influenza vaccination. Apart from this, he is also a life member of the Association of Physicians of India, the Indian Chest Society, and the National College of Chest Physicians of India. He is also a consultant to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Vienna on issues related to radiation protection.
Association with Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Dr. Randeep Guleria has been Personal Physician to the then Prime Minister of India- Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee from 1998 to 2004.
Notable Work of Dr. Randeep Guleria
He is credited with his research on pulmonary diseases. He is credited for the establishment of a center for respiratory diseases and sleep medicine at AIIMS, the first in India. Dr. Randeep Guleria co-authored the book Till We Win: India’s fight against the COVID-19 Pandemic along with other two authors, Chandrakant Lahariya and Gagandeep Kang. The book became the bestseller within the first week of its release in India.
Dr. Randeep Guleria Recognition and Awards
- Dr. Guleria is a recipient of Raj Nanda Pulmonary Disease Fellowship from Raj Nanda Trust and the Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom.
- Dr. Randeep Guleria is an elected fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS) of 2011.
- Dr. Randeep Guleria also sits on the editorial boards of a number of medical journals such as the Indian Journal of Chest Diseases, Lung India, JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association and Chest India.
- In 2014, Dr. Randeep Guleria was awarded with the prestigious Dr. B C Roy National Awards for the year, under the category of an eminent medical person by the Medical Council of India. B. C. Roy honour for doctors- Dr. Randeep Guleria being awarded by the then President Pranab Mukherjee.
- In 2015, Dr. Randeep Guleria was honoured with the Padma Shri, fourth highest Indian civilian award by the Government of India.
Facts about Dr. Randeep Guleria
- Dr. Guleria was the personal physician of India’s former prime minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee. According to him, Atal Bihari had a high regard for physicians and would frequently ask him to dinner at his home.
- He attended Delhi’s St. Columba’s School.
- Guleria is a co-author of the book “Till We Win: India’s Fight Against the COVID-19 Pandemic,” together with Chandrakant Lahariya and Gagandeep Kang, both of whom are health system experts.
- Dr. Guleria’s research and discoveries have been published in 268 publications, with 117 of them appearing on ResearchGate (an online knowledge repository).
- He is considered as a top medical specialist in India.
- Within the first week of its release, his book “Till We Win: India’s Fight Against the COVID-19 Pandemic” became a national bestseller (The Asian Age National bestseller list ; 20 Dec 2020).
- Dr. Randeep Guleria is a recipient of the Raj Nanda Pulmonary Disease Fellowship and a National Academy of Medical Sciences elected fellow.
Salary of Dr. Randeep Guleria
As the director of AIIMS, the leading pulmonologist’s salary remains undisclosed. His service to the medical industry, healthcare research and respiratory diseases has led him to this prestigious position.
Dr. Randeep Guleria Retirement
Dr. Guleria is the sitting director of AIIMS, Delhi, and is going to retire on March 23 this year. AIIMS, Delhi is going to get its new director soon. ICMR Director General Balram Bhargava is among the 32 candidates who are in talks for the post of new AIIMS Director along with some well-known doctors from AIIMS who have applied for the same.
This was all you needed to know about the Director of AIIMS- Dr. Randeep Guleria. During these hard times of Covid-19, his guidance definitely helped the people of India. Did his journey in the medical field inspire you? Are you planning to study medicine abroad? We can get you all the professional help that you may need to get into your dream university. Call us anytime at 1800 572 000 and have a free consultancy session with the experts at Leverage Edu.