Which will be the best course to pursue after completing class 12th? This question is probably the most common one throughout all the class 12th students. With the diversification in every discipline, the battle of choosing a well-fit as well as lucrative program is mandatory to mark upon an excellent career. Science has a wide range of branches which further leads to sub categories, bringing together new areas of study and research. Biotechnology is one such course which interests many Science students. Do you know there are different types of Biotechnology courses one can sign up for? Read this blog to know all the Biotechnology courses after 12th.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Biotechnology?
- Eligibility for Biotechnology Courses
- List of Biotechnology Courses After Class 12th
- Best Universities for Biotechnology Courses After Class 12th
- Biotechnology Course Syllabus
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology is a very spacious field that includes the combination of the two science fields that is biology + technology which answers questions like the reason behind the genetic diseases in plants and animals along with it gives solutions to many problems prevailing. It is a combination of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, and Computer Applications. So students belonging to both MPC and BiPC can apply for the biotechnology course. As it is one of the newest branches in biology it offers the students with immense research and discoveries in their future. The biotechnology course after 12th includes immunology, virology, cell, and molecular biology, microbiology, bioinformatics, medicine, etc. through which the student is open to many roads which they can opt for.
Want to know what all is covered in Biotechnology courses?
Here is a list of all the Biotechnology subjects to your rescue!
Eligibility for Biotechnology Courses
Want to know about the entrance exam for biotechnology courses after 12th 2020? Here are the common admission and eligibility requirements for Biotechnology courses after 12th:
- To pursue a biotechnology course like BSc Biotechnology after 12th, the student needs to complete 10+2 in a science stream from a recognised board of education.
- The entrance exams for Biotechnology courses after 12th in India are:
- All India Biotechnology Entrance Examination
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test
- Central University Biotechnology Entrance Examination
- Anna University Biotechnology Entrance Examination
- Jamia Milia Islamia Entrance Exam
- There are certain subjects required for Biotechnology courses mainly subjects in science stream, i.e. Physics, Biology, Maths and Chemistry. A combination of any of these, like MPC subjects and BiPC subjects, are required for biotechnology courses after 12th.
- If you are planning to study abroad, you must have class 12th passing certificate, transcripts and a good GPA from a recognized board of examination. Some universities require SAT or ACT scores to check the proficiency of candidates. Most of the global universities require non-native speakers of English to submit a proficiency test. The most common ones are IELTS and TOEFL.
List of Biotechnology Courses After Class 12th
What are the degree options you have just after completing class 12th? Well, you only have 2 options here! One is a diploma and the other is a Bachelor’s degree. Here are the top bachelor’s degrees and B.Sc Biotechnology courses after 12th:
- BSc in Biotechnology (Molecular Biology)
- BSc in Bioinformatics
- Bachelor of Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Applied Science
- Bachelor Degree in Resource Biotechnology
- BSc in Medical Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Applied Science Majoring in Molecular Biotechnology
- BSc in Chemical Engineering with Biotechnology Specialization
- BSc Majoring in Plant Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Biomedicine
- Bachelor of Technology in Food Technology
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- BSc in Agricultural Biotechnology and Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Biomolecular Science – Environmental Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences in Biotechnology
- Bachelor in Applied Sciences with Islamic Studies
- BSc in Biological Engineering – (Biotechnology Engineering Concentration)
- Graduate Diploma in Technology
- Diploma in Biotechnology
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology
- Bachelor of Biotechnology and Innovation
- Diploma in Molecular Biotechnology
- Certificate in Food Biotechnology
- Diploma of Health Science in Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology
BTech Biotechnology is a mashup of biology with technology to make a field that provides immense knowledge including topics like bioprocessing and principles of chemical engineering. It is one of the best courses in STEM education. The course curriculum includes internship placements, projects, entrepreneurship development, programming fundamentals, IT tools, experiments, and even foreign language courses.
BTech Food Technology
BTech Food Technology is a popular Biotechnology course after 12th. It is majorly pursued by students looking for a technical degree. Most of the universities prefer candidates with Mathematics in class 12th for this course. It deals with the processing, preventing, and packaging of the ready to eat food industry. The main focus is on increasing the shelf life of the products by different physical and chemical processes maintaining the quality standards set by the officials.
Pursuing BSc Biotechnology after 12th will introduce you to all the factors covered in this discipline. You will be studying everything briefly while studying BSc Biotechnology. This program will familiarize you with topics like Genetic Engineering, Fermentation Technology, Vaccine Production Immunology, Bioinformatics, Research Design, Epidemiology, and Cell Structure.
Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics
This Biotechnology course after class 12th is just like what data analysis is for the marketing and financial industry, bioinformatics is for biotechnology. BSc Bioinformatics subjects include, are pattern recognition, drug data designing, and development, sequence alignment, gene finding, sequence assembly, database design, genome assembly, etc.
Bachelor of Science in Genetics
Another option in the list of Biotechnology courses after class 12th is BSc Genetics. As it is amongst the major Life Science courses, many universities also design the curriculum of this degree by offering specialisations in varied subjects like Biotechnology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Evolutionary Biology, Regeneration, amongst others.
Also Read: Courses After BSc Biotechnology
Best Universities for Biotechnology Courses After Class 12th
Only an expert can teach and make a new expert and below listed are some of the top universities that are filled with top facilities and infrastructure for biotechnology students.
- Harvard University
- Cornell University
- Ghent University
- The University of Queensland
- University of Toronto
- Technical University Denmark
- Seoul National University
- National University of Singapore
- The University of British Columbia
- University of California, LA
- University of Pennsylvania
- John Hopkins University
- University of Wisconsin
- University of Georgia
- Purdue University
- Boston University
- University of Rhode Island
- Northwestern University
- Columbia University
- University of Michigan
Biotechnology Course Syllabus
Now that you are aware of the major biotechnology courses after 12th, let’s understand the syllabus covered under Biotechnology courses. Here are the major subjects and topics that would be covered under Biotechnology course syllabus:
- Developmental Biology
- Structural Biochemistry
- Biodiversity and Taxonomy
- Medical Biotechnology
- Enzyme Technology
- Biological Chemistry
- Molecular Genetics
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Life Science
- Cell Biology
Did you find a perfect course for yourself in the list of Biotechnology courses after class 12th mentioned in the blog? If yes, then it’s time to begin your application to secure a seat in the best university abroad. Let Leverage Edu be your helping hand, get in touch with our experts to begin your educational journey abroad!