One of the most popular and commonly pursued streams in senior secondary school is the Non-Medical stream. Also referred to as MPC subjects, this stream puts thrust on three main areas: Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. With a diverse curriculum, MPC subjects offer a wide range of career opportunities to explore from. Architecture, Engineering, Defence Services, Commercial pilot, Statistics, Industrial Designing and Data Analytics are some of the few professions you can strive for. In this blog, you will get a detailed analysis of MPC subjects.
A Detailed Analysis of MPC Subjects
Here is a detailed and comprehensive analysis of the various MPC subjects:
Mathematics as a subject not only hones our problem solving and analytical skills but it also enhances our reasoning ability. While Physics and Chemistry introduce us to the laws of world, Math helps in establishing the relationship between them. Thus, it can become slightly difficult to understand the other two MPC Subjects if mathematical concepts are not clear.
Let us now have a look at the topics which you will come across in Math:
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Differential Equations
- Probability and Statistics
- Coordinate Geometry
- Vectors and three-dimensional geometry
- Integral Calculus
- Sets and Functions
- Linear Programming
- Permutations and Combinations
- Algebra and Binomial Theorem
Physics is one of the oldest and the most diverse fields of Science. It is a fundamental discipline which deals with the study of matter, energy, nature and their interdependence. An important part of MPC Subjects, physics works on the principle of reductionism and can broadly be categorized into 2; Modern and Classical Physics. While Classical Physics focuses on the macroscopic (thermodynamics, acoustics, electromagnetism, mechanics etc.) aspects, Modern deals with the microscopic elements (atoms, nanotechnology, relativity,quantum physics etc.).
Below is a list of topics which constitute a major portion of Physics:
- Kinematics :Rectilinear and Non-Rectilinear motion
- Physical world, Units, and Measurements
- Newton’s Laws of motion and their applications
- Work, Power and Energy
- Motion of Rigid Bodies and Particle Systems
- Kinetic Theory and Behavior of Gases
- Mechanical Properties of Solids and Liquids
- Thermal Properties and Dual Nature of Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction, Faraday’s laws and Alternating Current
- Atoms, their models and Nuclei
- Oscillations and Waves
- Electrostatistics and Electronic Devices
- Optics and Optical Instruments
- Electromagnetic Waves
After Physics and Math, Chemistry forms an integral part of MPC Subjects. If Physics is the study of matter then Chemistry is the study of the structure, composition and properties of matter. The following are the five core branches of this subject:
- Organic Chemistry: The study of Carbon, Hydrogen and Carbon-Hydrogen compounds is called Organic Chemistry. Some common examples include alkanes, alcohols and DNA. These compounds are widely used in the pharmaceutical, plastic, paints, cosmetics, and coating industries.
- Inorganic Chemistry: In simple terms, it is the study of everything not organic. i.e : compounds without C-H bonds. Metals, salts and minerals form perfect examples.
- Analytical Chemistry: Ever wondered how the blood samples of a patient are analyzed? Or how milk adulterants are found? This is where analytical chemistry comes into the picture. It is the science of identifying and analyzing compounds both quantitatively and qualitatively. This is done either using instruments like spectrometers and calorimetry or via classical techniques like volumetric analysis and acid test.
- Physical Chemistry: The science of studying physical properties of elements and compounds like their boiling points, colour, temperature etc. is called Physical Chemistry.
- Biochemistry: It is that branch of chemistry which deals with the study of chemical processes that take place inside living organisms.
Want to get an insight into the syllabus of Chemistry? Here is a compilation of the important topics :
- Structure of Atoms and Molecules
- Classification, Periodicity and properties of Elements
- Chemical Bondings and Molecular Structure
- Redox Reactions
- States of Matter
- Equilibrium and Chemical Kinetics
- Coordination Compounds, Biomolecules and Polymers
- Hydrocarbons, their Classification and Properties
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- s-, p-, d-, f-block Elements and their Properties
- Organic and Environmental Chemistry
- Electro and Surface Chemistry
- Ethers, Alcohols, and Phenols
- Ketones, Carboxylic acids, and Aldehydes
- Solution- Their Types and Properties
- Nitrogen containing Organic Compounds
Electives Offered with MPC
The electives play a crucial role in your career growth. It thus becomes important to choose optional in line with your interests. Here are a few subjects which you can opt for while studying MPC subjects:
- Computer Science
- Informatics Practises
- Fine Arts
- Physical Education
- Home Science
We have thus compiled all the relevant information regarding MPC subjects. If you are confused with what profession to choose after school, then we at Leverage Edu are here to guide you using psychometric tests and mentorship platform.