If the integration of natural sciences and engineering sciences interests you, a Master’s in Biotechnology in the UK is the path for you. It offers a deep dive into the study of biotechnology along with a well-sought subject curriculum. If you are interested but have questions about Masters in Biotechnology in UK, this blog provides you with answers. Let’s talk about Masters in Biotechnology in the UK.
|Full-Form||Masters of Science in Biotechnology|
|Eligibility||Candidates should have passed any biological science-based bachelor’s degree with a 50 % score.|
|Average Annual Fees||The average fee is Rs.1,50,000|
|MSc Biotechnology Average Salary||MSc Biotechnology graduates can earn an average salary of Rs. 6,50,000|
|Top recruiting fields||Hospitals, Laboratories, Clinics, Pharma companies|
This Blog Includes:
- What is Biotechnology?
- Why Study Masters in Biotechnology in the UK?
- Top Universities in UK for Masters in Biotechnology
- M.SC Biotechnology Syllabus
- Eligibility Criteria
- Cost of Masters in Biotechnology in UK
- Jobs And Salary
- Top Recruiters
- Future Scope
What is Biotechnology?
In simple terms, the technology that is based on biology is biotechnology. Biotechnology is used to develop technologies that can be used to improve human health on planet Earth. Modern technology is further used to develop breakthrough products and technologies to combat rare illnesses and diseases. In today’s world, when unprecedented illnesses emerge from out of nowhere, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, the field of biotechnology is of utmost importance. There are various aspects of biotechnology, and a majority of them are easily covered in the Master in Biotechnology.
Must Read: Courses After BSc Biotechnology
Why Study Masters in Biotechnology in the UK?
The influence of biotechnology lasts for decades. But why must one study for a Masters in Biotechnology in the UK? Read on below:
- The field of Biotechnology is ever-growing in the United Kingdom, concerning discoveries, the production of new technologies, etc. This makes a study in Biotechnology in the country attractive.
- The career aspects and job opportunities after the completion of a Master’s in Biotechnology in the UK are ample.
- A lot of universities in the UK are known for their science programs, providing effective study experience when it comes to a master’s. An in-depth knowledge of the subject is to be expected.
- Positions such as biotechnology experts in laboratories are in demand.
- The course of a Master’s in Biotechnology could be as short as one year long, proving to be cost and time effective.
- The biotechnology jobs are not limited to laboratories, but also extend to fields of agriculture, healthcare, etc; providing you with a path to enter several domains.
Must Read: MSc Biotechnology
Top Universities in UK for Masters in Biotechnology
Moving forward, where must one study for a Master in Biotechnology in the United Kingdom? What are some of the top universities for the same? Listed below are the top 10 universities in the UK offering a Master in Biotechnology (in no particular order):
|TOP UNIVERSITIES FOR MASTERS IN BIOTECHNOLOGY IN THE UK||QS Ranking 2023|
|University of Oxford||4|
|University of Cambridge||2|
|University College London||8|
|Imperial College London||6|
|University of Edinburgh||15|
|University of Bath||179|
|University of Warwick||64|
|University of Aberdeen||220|
|University of York||162|
|University of Glasgow||81|
|University of Nottingham||114|
|University of Manchester||28|
|University of Sheffield||96|
M.SC Biotechnology Syllabus
The semester-wise subjects of the course M.Sc Biotechnology are tabulated below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Exercises in Molecular and Cell Biology||Genetic Engineering|
|Advanced Biological Chemistry||Immunology Principles of Bacteriology and Virology|
|Exercises in Environmental Biotechnology||Plant Biotechnology|
|Molecular Biology||Exercises in Plant Biotechnology|
|Environmental Biotechnology||Exercises in Bacteriology and Virology|
|Cell Biology||Exercises in Genetic Engineering|
|Exercises in Advanced Biological Chemistry||Exercises in Immunology|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Database Management and IPR in Biotechnology||Genomics and Proteomics|
|Animal Biotechnology||Stem Cell Technology and Regenerative Medicines|
|Bioprocess engineering & Fermentation Technology||Biochemical and biophysical techniques|
|Food Technology and Nutrigenomics||Exercises in Biochemical and Biophysical techniques|
|Exercises in Bioprocess Engineering||Agricultural Biotechnology|
|Exercises in Bioinformatics||–|
|Exercises in Animal Biotechnology||–|
We learn about Masters in Biotechnology and the top universities to study the course in. Now, what about the eligibility criteria? Let’s take a look:
- A minimum of 55% and more (or 3.5 GPA or above) in a relevant bachelor’s degree
- Minimum GRE score as stated below:
- Quantitative: 160
- Verbal: 155
- Writing 4.0
- Minimum IELTS: 6.5 – 7.5
- Admission requirements as specified by the university
- Gap, if any, between previous education and time of application, should be explained
- Relevant work experience holds an advantage
- Graduation transcripts
- Post-graduation transcript
- Evidence of citizenship (Passport)
- Name and contact details of two professional references.
- CV/ Resume (updated)
- Letter of Recommendation
- English Language Proficiency Test Score
- Statement of Purpose
The application process takes place over some time. It begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes, generally, the fall intake and spring intake, for international students to kick start their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform.
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc.
- Meet all the application deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university
Cost of Masters in Biotechnology in UK
The following are the tuition fees for studying Masters in Biotechnology in UK:
|Annual Fees||Approx 25,000 GBP ( INR 23. 25 lakh)|
The following is an estimate of living costs in UK:
|Facilities||Cost Per Month|
|Accommodation||1,100 GBP (INR 1.23 lakh)|
|Food||250 GBP (INR 23K)|
|Transportation||40 GBP (INR 3.7k)|
|Study Materials||2,000 GBP (INR 1.8 lakh)|
As with various universities providing Masters in Biotechnology in the UK, there are also various scholarships at your disposal. Below are some of them:
|Aberystwyth University||Inclusive Accommodation Offer for International Students||£2,000 (INR 1.8 lakh) discount on the cost of accommodation|
|Bangor University||Vice-Chancellor Scholarship||£10,000 (INR 9.27 lakh)|
|British Universities||Chevening Scholarships||£18,000 (INR 16.5 lakh)|
|Newcastle University||Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships||£4,000 (INR 3.7 lakh)|
|Sheffield Hallam University||Vice Chancellor’s Award for Indian students||£3,000 (INR 2.7 lakh)|
|University of Essex||Academic Excellence International Masters Scholarship||£5,000 (INR 4.6 lakh)|
|University of Lincoln||India Scholarship||£4,000 (INR 3.7 lakh)|
Jobs And Salary
As mentioned before, there are also various fields where job opportunities are available after completion of a Master’s in Biotechnology in the UK.
|Laboratory Support Research||35,000 GBP (INR 32.5 lakh)|
|Laboratory Developer||35,000 GBP (INR 32.5 lakh)|
|Laboratory Analyst||45,000 GBP (INR 41.8 lakh)|
|Research Development Manager||40,000 GBP (INR 37.2 lakh)|
|Manufacturing Jobs||41,000 GBP (INR 38 lakh)|
|Regulatory Affairs & Quality Control||50,000 GBP (INR 46.5 lakh)|
Also Read: Biotechnology Jobs
Some of the top recruiters for a graduate in Biotechnology are:
- Incyte Corp (INCY)
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN)
- Novo Nordisk
- Virion Therapeutics
- GammaDelta Therapeutics
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX)
- Biomarin Pharmaceuticals
- Autifony Therapeutics
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals (ALXN)
Must Read: Career in Biotechnology
Candidates who complete the M.Sc Biotechnology programme are hired in the fields of Medical Biotechnology and Agricultural Biotechnology. These are currently very popular and important domains in India. Medical biotechnology accounts for approximately 70% of total biotechnology revenue. The three major types of companies in this sector are:
- Small startups: They create biotech products on their own. Bharat Biotech is an example. Shantha Biotech, for example.
- Dr Reddy Laboratory (DRL), Ranbaxy Laboratories, and Wockhardt Ltd. are three examples of large pharmaceutical companies.
- Emerging startups: They are prepared to start as Contract Research Organizations, or CROs, and work for multinational corporations.
Must Read: Scope of Biotechnology
Yes, biotechnology post-graduates have a great rate of employment in the UK.
The University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford are some of the best universities for Msc biotechnology in the UK.
The master’s in biotechnology in the UK shall most usually be 1 year long.
This was all about a Master’s in Biotechnology in the UK. If you want to get into a high-ranked university in the UK, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need a flawless application. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.