The University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the UK. The university ensures representation, entertainment and the welfare of its students. As per QS Top Universities 2022, the university was ranked 73rd in the world. It is one of the top universities in the UK that offers a variety of courses across various fields including Medicine, History, Music, Economics, Business, Psychology, Statistics, Law, Accounting and Finance. Let’s explore the university of Glasgow acceptance rate.
This Blog Includes:
- About University of Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Rankings
- University of Glasgow Acceptance Rate
- University of Glasgow Deadlines
- Eligibility Criteria
- Documents Required
- Cost of Studying
- Application Process
- University of Glasgow Famous Alumni
Here’s a complete guide to know about Studying in Glasgow!
About University of Glasgow
Before getting staring at the University of Glasgow acceptance rate. Let’s find out more about the history and origination of this university. The University of Glasgow is regarded as one of the most prestigious universities in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1451 by a Papal Bull, making it the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. It has been generating world-class professionals since then, thanks to its top-notch academics and educational system. If we find out how old the university is, we will discover that it is one of Scotland’s four ancient universities. This university is the only one in the United Kingdom with the authority to grant undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in its own name. The university now has four colleges that focus on medical, arts, social sciences, science and engineering, veterinary and life sciences, and science. Gilmorehill is the name of the University’s main campus, which is located in Hillhead. The university proudly houses over 26,000 students from 120 countries, scoring high on the diversity scale as well.
Did you know: Albert Einstein, the man responsible for the creation of twentieth-century physics, was awarded an honorary degree by Glasgow University in 1933. He presented a talk to a crowd of 1500 people, and as he progressed, he was cheered at Bute Hall.
University of Glasgow Rankings
Let’s also check out some of the stunning rankings of the university before highlighting its acceptance rate in the next segment of this blog.
|Complete University Guide (2022)||16|
|Guardian University Guide (2022)||11|
|Times/Sunday Times (2022)||12|
|CWTS Leiden (2021)||36|
|QS World University Rankings 2022||73|
|THE World University Rankings 2022||86|
University of Glasgow Acceptance Rate
The University of Glasgow acceptance rate is 74.3% overall. It means out of 100 applicants only 75 students get selected which makes it a fairly selective institution. The University of Glasgow acceptance rate for undergraduate courses is 70% and postgraduate courses is 52%. Here are the course wise university of Glasgow acceptance rates:
|MSc Economics, Banking and Finance||44%|
|MAcc Accounting and Finance||43%|
|MLitt English Literature||53%|
According to a headcount done by QlikView, 16,345 new students were accepted into the University of Glasgow in the academic session 2020-21, out of which 577 were Indian, the highest number of Indians enrolled at Glasgow in the past decade.
University of Glasgow Deadlines
Post knowing about the University of Glasgow acceptance rate, it’s time to shed some light upon the University of Glasgow application deadline for the students:
|Options||Teaching Period||Application Deadline for Students|
|Semester 1 Autumn/Fall||early September until mid-December||Applications open: 1 March
Deadline: extended to 14 May
|Semester 2 Spring||early January until the end of May||Applications open: 6 October Deadline: 31 October|
|Year||early September until the end of May||Applications open: 1 March
Deadline: extended to 14 May
Note: It is always advisable to get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts and student counsellors on 1800572000 to know more about the application deadlines and other important deadlines as specified by the university.
Although the eligibility or the admission requirements to study at the University of Glasgow might vary as per the course or the programme chosen by the student, given below is the entry level requirements to study at the University of Glasgow:
UG Admissions Eligibility
- Considers students with Central Board or Metro State Board Qualifications.
- Minimum of 75% average score is required including 75% in key subjects, although the percentage varies on the basis of the degree course you are applying for.
PG Admissions Eligibility
- Applications are considered from graduates of Indian central, state or leading deemed and private universities.
- A minimum cumulative of 1st division (60-75%) or better throughout all years of their studies is required.
Also Read about Studying Masters in UK Under 14 Lakhs
English Proficiency Test Scores
Also Read: How to Transfer Universities in the UK?
Here’s a list of all the important documents that will be asked at the time of application process of the University of Glasgow:
- Official affirmation of your latest secondary school grades
- Proof of all academic transcripts
- SOP and LORs (One-page)
- Proof of your English language proficiency (if your first language isn’t English or if English isn’t the language of guidance at your school)
- Updated CV/Resume
- A passport & UK Student Visa
- Bank Statements
- Personal portfolio (if asked by the university)
Cost of Studying
One must keep in mind that the tuition fees of different programmes will be different for international students. Mentioned below is the average yearly cost of studying for UG and PG courses:
|Level of Study||Average Annual Tuition Fees in GBP|
|UG||20,000 – 50,000 (INR 20 – 50 lakhs)|
|PG||20,000 – 45,000 (INR 20 – 45 lakhs)|
Now that you are aware of the University of Glasgow acceptance rate. The next step is submitting the application form. Applications to UK universities are submitted via the UCAS portal. Here’s the step-wise application process:
- Visit the UCAS portal
- Check the course curriculum and the eligibility requirements
- Click on the application form of the respective university
- First, you need to create an account using your mobile number or email address
- You will receive an email or SMS on your registered contact number with login details and verification
- Use the login details provided and enter your personal details ( name, gender, date of birth)
- Enter your academic qualification and upload the required documents
- Select the course and pay the application fee
- The application fee is different for every university and can be paid through a debit/credit card or internet banking
- Submit your application form, you can also track your application form through your account
- Students that have been selected will be required to attend a virtual interview by some universities
University of Glasgow Famous Alumni
The University of Glasgow has a long list of outstanding and renowned graduates, including seven Nobel Laureates, three British Prime Ministers, and many others.
- Adam Smith (Economist)
- Lord Kelvin (Physicist)
- Peter Capaldi (Actor)
- James Watt (Inventor)
- James Wilson (Founding Father of the US)
- Steven Moffat (Television writer)
- Andrew Neil (Journalist)
The University of Glasgow is one of the easier universities to make your way into. But it is important to note that, since the institution offers a variety of courses; it becomes competitive to make your application shine out.
Duolingo will be accepted for entry to our Pre-Sessional English and degree-level programmes with standard English language requirements. Students must visit the official website and check for the entire details.
The University of Glasgow acceptance rate is around 73%.
Are you thinking about enrolling at the University of Glasgow? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu and kickstart your study abroad journey. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE counselling session today.