The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a prestigious award offered by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to students aspiring to study in UK at the University of Cambridge. It was established back in 2000 after a generous donation of $210 million to the university to help international postgraduate and doctoral students to achieve their dream of studying at one of the UK’s finest universities. Since its inception, the scholarship has been awarded to over 1500 international students from 100 countries and in the year 2020, it was awarded to 77 scholars from 30 different countries. In this blog, we will cover all the details of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship to help you pursue your dream of studying in the queen’s land.
|Institution||Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation|
|Countries||100 (UK exception)|
|Courses||Full-time PhD, MSc, MLitt, Postgraduate Courses|
|No. Of Awards||80|
|Dates & Deadlines||14 October 2020 (for US citizens resident in the USA) 3 December 2020 or 7 January 2021 depending on the course (for all other eligible applicants).|
This Blog Includes:
Who is Eligible for the Scholarship?
Here are the key eligibility requirements to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- The candidate must be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Must be applying to pursue full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge such as PhD, MSc/MLitt and one year postgraduate course
- Current international students are eligible for applying for the scholarship and their desired postgraduate programme. Applicants must apply for the scholarship before the commencement of the programme.
Courses Not Covered
- UG courses like BA or BA affiliated
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Finance
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree
- Graduate Course in Medicine
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Must Read: What are the requirements to study in UK?
How to Apply?
To apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, Applicants submit a combined application form for admission and financial funding through the University’s Graduate Application Portal. The application form covers the Gates scholarship underfunding and various other scholarships offered by the University of Cambridge.
Here are some important documents that must be submitted along with the combined application form:
- Personal Statement of Purpose (approximately 500 words)
- Research Proposal for PhD applicants
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Gates Reference from an academic advisor (it can be someone who has written one of the LORs)
Ideal Scholar Profile for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is open to scholars from 100 different countries and candidates from diverse backgrounds are invited to participate in the programme. There are four criterias that candidates must meet to be considered for the scholarship:
- Academic excellence: To be considered for the scholarship, candidates must be outstanding academically.
- Reasons for choice of course: All candidates need a strong statement of purpose for the chosen course.
- Commitment to society and improving the lives of others: Scholars must display a strong sense of commitment towards the better of society.
- A capacity for leadership: There are certain qualities every candidate must display and the most important is leadership.
Must Read: LLM in University of Cambridge
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Acceptance Rate
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is extremely competitive and the acceptance rate for it is 0.3%. Only a fraction of applicants is selected for the scholarship.
Also Read: University of Cambridge Acceptance Rate
Funding by Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship and the entire cost of studying is covered by the Foundation for students accepted to study at the University of Cambridge. The scholarships cover different costs such as
- University Tuition Fees
- One-Side Airfare
- Visa Costs
- Immigration Health Surcharge
- Maintenance allowance for a single students (£17,848 for 12 months for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- Academic funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, depending on duration of course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance for children only – up to £10,120 for one child and up to £14,440 for two or more children (2021-22 rate). Family allowance doesn’t cover partners.
- Maternity/Paternity funding
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
- The Foundation can reduce the allowance for candidates who are recipients of a salary or scholarship. All other financial assistance must be disclosed to the Foundation.
- Kayla Barron, Astronaut
- Jimin Yu, Associate Professor
- Sabrina Anjara
- Chandler Robinson, founder of Monopar Therapeutics Inc
- Robyn Scott, co-founder of Apolitical
Must Read: Best Student Cities in UK
Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a prestigious fully-funded scholarship that is awarded to only a select group of candidates. Candidates who have a strong sense of self, outstanding academic performance and leadership qualities are the perfect scholar for this scholarship. Aspiring to study abroad for September 2021 intake? Get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu and find out how you get into your dream college!