Visa application is an important part and parcel of the study abroad journey. As soon as you receive an acceptance letter from the university, the next important step is to apply for the Visa. When it comes to pursuing higher education in the UK, you have to submit a list of documents to complete the application process for obtaining a student visa. So, if you wish to study in UK, then here is a blog that will help you understand the UK visa application process in detail.
This Blog Includes:
Get Yourself Ready with These Easy Steps
- Check to see whether you require a UK visa.
- Make the appropriate UK visa selection.
- Fill out the application form online.
- Assemble the necessary paperwork for a UK visa application.
- Make an appointment for a UK visa.
- Take the UK visa interview.
Types of Student Visas in the UK
The United Kingdom welcomes students from across the world to pursue their choice of program in the country. Apart from SOP, LORs, and other relevant documents, an important pre-requisite to enter the country is the student visa. There are 3 types of UK Study Visas which vary based on age as well as the duration and type of program opted for. Tabulated below are the details and the timeline to start your UK visa application process.
|Type of Visa||Courses||Application Timeline|
|Tier 4 (General) Student Visa||Courses with a duration of 6 months or more
English language courses which run for more than 11 months
|At least 3 months before the start of your course|
|Short-term Study Visa||It is for those students who
have been accepted for
studying English language courses that run for less than
|At least 3 months prior to the start of your program|
|Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa||Students between the age
of 4 to 17 who have taken admitted to a UK-based institution with a valid
Tier 4 sponsor
|Minimum 3 months before the commencement of the program|
UK Student Visa Eligibility
When it comes to the eligibility for obtaining the Tier 4 student visa, here are the major details you must consider before you start with your UK visa application:
- You must be 16 years and above age.
- You should have received an unconditional offer letter from a recognized academic institution in the UK with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.
- You are able to speak, read, and write fluently in English. However, to prove the same, you will have to present English proficiency test scores.
- Bank statements stating the availability of funds to pay for your chosen program.
- You must belong to Switzerland or non-EEA countries.
UK Tier-4 Visa Fee
In order to complete your Tier-4, UK Visa application process, you need to submit a fee of £348 [INR 35,525 approximately]. Furthermore, if you will be accompanied by any other individual or a dependant, then you have to pay an additional £348 per person. While applying for a UK visa, you will also have to submit a healthcare surcharge.
UK Visa Application Process
Refer to the below-mentioned steps to successfully submit your UK visa application form:
Step 1: The first step is to prove that you stand eligible for a UK student visa, i.e. Confirmations of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). Along with this, you also have to submit a bank statement to prove whether you can fund your studies or not.
Step 2: Visit the official website to begin the UK visa application procedure.
Step 3: Register and create an account on the official website. Fill in the application form, take a printout, and sign it.
Step 4: After completing step 3 of the UK visa application, submit your fee. You can use online as well as offline payment options.
Knowledge of English
The most important requisite for applying for UK Visas is the knowledge of English. Students must know how to communicate well in English. To prove their proficiency in English, they have to submit scores on proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
When to Apply?
Indian students who wish to apply for a student visa to pursue higher education in the UK must apply for the visa 6 months before they start their course. The decision is given out usually in 3 weeks. Once the visa has been granted, the tenure of stay depends on the length of the course. If the course is at a degree level, one can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. If it’s below degree level, one can stay in the UK for up to 2 years.
How to Apply
The application process for a UK student visa entails multiple steps. Applications for UK study visas are handled within three weeks after they are submitted in full.
Step 1 – Checking whether you are eligible for a student visa is the first step. You must demonstrate that you have:
- A reserved spot at the college, institution, or school you plan to attend. A “confirmation of acceptance for studies” is what is called (CAS).
- Enough money (sometimes referred to as “maintenance or finances”) to pay for your tuition and living expenses while studying in the UK.
Step 2– Prepare your paperwork.
Step 3- Apply Online
To obtain a UK Visa, you must register and set up an account on the official website. You must print and sign your completed online application after you’ve finished filling it out. To make a reservation at the visa application facility, use the online appointment calendar. You will get an email with your application number once you have finished your online application.
Step 4- Pay your application fee. You can pay for your visa application fee in 4 different ways.
- Payment at Standard Chartered Bank- A few Standard Chartered Bank locations are where you can make your fee payment. A demand draught in the name of “The British High Commission” will be issued by the bank.
- Demand Draft from a nationalized or foreign bank- To pay your charge, you might obtain a demand draught from a nationalized or foreign bank. There may be a fee from the bank for this service. The “British High Commission” must be named as the beneficiary of the demand draught.
- Payment at the visa application center – When you submit your visa application, you can pay the visa application fee there.
- Pay online – You can use a credit or debit card from Visa or MasterCard to pay your visa application fee online.
Step 5- On the scheduled date, visit the visa application centre. For the purpose of submitting your application, a facial photograph, and fingerprints, you must schedule and keep an appointment at the visa application center.
In order to complete the UK visa application process for obtaining a Tier 4 student visa, it is essential to submit a list of documents as specified by the Government of the UK.
- Colored passport-size photograph
- A valid passport
- The Confirmations of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number along with other documents required to obtain CAS
- Proof of financial stability
- Assessment documentation
UK Student Visa Part-time Work
You are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week for (UK Student Visa) and to work full-time during breaks or summer vacations if you are enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program or higher at a UK college that is included on both the list of “recognized bodies” and the official “UKBA Sponsor list.” Students should be aware that they are permitted to work 10 hours per week if their program is below the level of a UK degree, such as foundation or pre-sessional English. In addition, students with a short-term study visas are prohibited from working.
Hence, when it comes to completing the UK visa application process, one needs to collect and submit documents well in advance in order to avoid any last-minute hurdles. Applying for a Visa can be a tedious task. Let the experts at Leverage Edu help you in not only preparing the documents but also preparing you for the Visa interview!