Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) is a UK-based organization that manages admissions to British universities for undergraduate courses. It provides students with a unique opportunity to apply up to five courses at one university or one course at five different universities with a single application form. However, UCAS is not the only route available to international students, students can also apply directly to the university of their choice. Let’s look at the list of UK Universities that accept direct applications for bachelor for 2023!
This Blog Includes:
- How to Apply to UK Universities?
- Why do Students Opt for Direct Applications?
- UK Universities that Accept Direct Applications for Bachelors
- How to Apply to UK universities for Bachelors- Step-Wise Guide
- Documents Required to Study in UK
- Cost of Studying in UK
How to Apply to UK Universities?
There are two main routes for applying to UK universities for undergraduate courses:
- One is through UCAS wherein students have to open an account on the official website for Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, pay the application fees, and then fill out the application form to apply to British universities.
- Another option is to apply directly to universities in UK universities, there are several UK universities that accept a direct application for bachelor and UG courses. Students can fill out the application form on the official website of the university, pay the application fees and proceed to apply directly.
Note: There are some universities like Oxford University and the University of Cambridge that require students to apply a year before the commencement of their course of choice through UCAS for bachelors.
Why do Students Opt for Direct Applications?
According to the UCAS, there were over 682,010 applicants for bachelor, master’s, and PhD programs for UK universities in 2023. Though some students prefer to apply through UCAS, there are several reasons behind opting for direct application in UK universities.
- International students who have missed the deadline for bachelor programs at a given university.
- Students applying to a single university in the UK tend to opt for the direct application process.
- Students applying for short-term courses or part-time courses can also use UK universities’ direct application process.
- Students applying for clearing courses by specific universities that apply directly to the university.
- Most students applying for master’s programs or PhD programs apply directly to the UK university without going through the UCAS route.
Secure an admit at UK’s top universities with Leverage Edu experts!
UK Universities that Accept Direct Applications for Bachelors
- University of St Andrews
- University of Strathclyde
- University College Birmingham
- The University of Greenwich
- Oxford Brookes University
- London South Bank University
- The University of Portsmouth
- Birmingham City University
- Brighton University
- University of Northampton
- Middlesex University
How to Apply to UK universities for Bachelors- Step-Wise Guide
International students applying to UK universities must follow a well-researched guide before starting their application process:
Step-1: Shortlist Courses and Universities
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. Students can shortlist courses and universities through AI-Course Finder and generate a list of universities where they are most likely to get through and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Know Your Deadlines
The next step is to know the exact deadlines of universities and colleges in the UK you are planning to apply to. International students have to take the application process well in advance (one year to 6 months before the actual deadline). This ensures that students can fulfill all the college requirements such as SOP, letters of recommendation, English proficiency tests, funding/scholarship options, and accommodation.
Step-3: Take Entrance Tests
The third step in the application process for UK universities requires students to take tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or GRE/GMAT/LNAT/BMAT/MAT (in some courses). In some universities, students can be given submit scores for SAT or ACT exams. A new addition to English proficiency tests is the Duolingo Test which allows students to appear for the exam from the comfort of their homes and is accepted across the world.
Step-4: Compile Your Documents
The next step is to compile all the required documents and test scores for the application process. This means students should start writing their SOPs, getting letters of recommendation from teachers and supervisors and arranging their financial statements along with other documents like tests scorecards. With the COVID-19 pandemic, students must download their vaccine certificates and specify the administered vaccine for the application.
Step-5: Get Started with Your Application
Once you have all the documents in place, students can start the application process either directly or through UCAS. Students applying to UK universities that accept direct applications can start by applying through the official university website. They have to select the courses, pay the application fees and start the online application process.
Documents Required to Study in UK
UK universities that accept direct applications require students fulfill certain criteria for admission such as:
- Copy of a valid passport
- Scorecard of English proficiency tests like TOEFL/IELTS/C1 Advanced. (Some universities exempt students from this if they meet the set criteria)
- GMAT/GRE for Masters programs
- Academic Transcripts for 10th, 12th, or bachelors courses
- Certificates for short-term courses/professional courses
- Certificates for extracurricular activities
- Letter of Recommendations (LOR)
- Portfolio (for specific courses)
- A CV (if applicable)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
Must Read: What are the Requirements to Study in UK?
Cost of Studying in UK
Apart from the application fees and tuition fees, the cost of studying in the UK includes accommodation, Visa, daily expenses, transport, etc. Enlisted are the details pertaining to the expenses which one may incur to study in UK:
- Undergraduate Programs in UK: £8000 to £9000 per year (INR 7-8 Lakh) – up to £30000 (INR 30 Lakh).
- Postgraduate Programs in UK: £12000 to £15000 (INR 12-13 Lakh) – up to £35000 (INR 30 Lakh).
University of St Andrews
University of Strathclyde
University College Birmingham
The University of Greenwich
Oxford Brookes University
London South Bank University
The University of Portsmouth
Birmingham City University
The cost of pursuing undergraduate studies in the UK is £8000 to £9000 per year (INR 7-8 Lakh) – up to £30000 (INR 30 Lakh).
The cost of pursuing Masters in the UK is £12000 to £15000 (INR 12-13 Lakh) – up to £35000 (INR 30 Lakh).
There are several UK universities that accept direct applications for bachelor, master and doctoral programs. Want to know more about the application process for January 2023? Connect with a Leverage Edu and kickstart your application process in advance!