The UK is home to some of the best universities that rank under the top 10 of the world. The universities offer everything from quality education to high-paying placements. However, one of the best features of this experience is the internships that you get to do during your college years. They help you bridge the gap between education and work, prepare you for the real world and even relax your pocket a little. Did you know that UK law mandates that interns are entitled to a minimum wage! There are several UK universities that offer paid internships that you must check out.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in the UK?
- The United Kingdom is home to some of the best universities in the world
- Numerous scholarships and financial aid are granted to students who have excellent academic performance
- The UK is an evergreen hub of quality education
- Many Indian students get an excellent opportunity to earn while they are pursuing their studies in the UK
- There is a shorter duration of the high-demand programs like MIM, MBA, MSc, MA
- Students who graduate from top UK universities and institutes are most sought-after by many prospective employers and reputable companies
- Indians prefer to study in the UK because of the easy work permit access after graduation
Top Internship Programs in the UK
|Coventry University||MBA Global Business
International Fashion Management
|Queen Mary University of London||Computer Science
Big Data Science
Computing and Information Systems
|Loughborough University||Biotechnology with Professional Experience
Molecular Biology with Professional Experience
Pharmacology and Drug Discovery with Professional Experience
|Royal Holloway, University of London||Data Science and Analytics
Distributed and Networked Systems
|Sheffield Hallam University||International Hospitality Management
International Tourism Management
|University of Central Lancashire||Fire Safety Engineering
Intelligence Maintenance Engineering
Renewable Energy Engineering
|Middlesex University||International Business Management
MA International Marketing Management
Human Resource Management MBA
|University of Leicester||Advanced Computational Methods
Advanced Software Engineering
Advanced Mechanical Engineering
|Manchester Metropolitan University||International Events Management
Loughborough University offers internships to final year students as well as those who undertake a placement year. The internships cover marketing functions that suit individual skills and experience.
- Web and digital
- Student recruitment
- Academic school marketing
- Alumni engagement
- Recruitment marketing
Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University offers summer internships for its students. This is a 12-week summer internship program where students can work both part-time or full-time hours. The first six weeks of this internship is fully funded by the university. Students receive a £9.50 per hour rate. These are available for undergraduate students in multiple fields.
- Digital marketing
- Data research and analysis
Coventry University offers paid internships and consulting projects to students. However, they need to be interviewed and selected by the employer. To be eligible to undertake the internship, students must demonstrate excellent academic performance and maintain regular attendance. These trainings are available in the UK to help students settle with the workplace culture, business practice and employability training. Students can work closely with the Talent Team to prepare themselves for a potential interview and work opportunity.
UWE Bristol allows students to take employment at small and medium enterprises, start-ups and charities. The interns get paid around £2,812 following the guidance of the Living Wage Foundation in respect to national costs and appropriate pay. Internships are available on CareerHub which is accessible only to the students of the college. The internships are available only for undergraduate students. The internship will be carried out remotely and will be project-based to add value to the student’s CV.
The application process for UK universities for undergraduate courses, postgraduate courses, and PhD is slightly different from universities around the world.
- UG admissions take place through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) and in some cases, through direct applications.
- For this, you need to register and fill your application on the UCAS website
- Most UK universities accept applications verified through UCAS while some universities like the University of Brighton or the University of St Andrews even accept direct applications from students.
- PG and PhD applicants can directly apply to the university.
Other Universities in UK that Offer Paid Internships
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Birmingham City University
- University of Chester
- University of Glasgow
- University of Lincoln
- London South Bank University
- University of Northampton
- Nottingham Trent University
- University of Portsmouth
- Robert Gordon University
- University of Salford
- University of Sussex
- Swansea University
- University of Stirling
- University of East London
- University of the West of Scotland
- University of West London
- University of Worcester
- University of Hull
- University of Bath
Yes, there are many interns in the UK. Multiple small-scale companies hire interns for their functioning. You can directly apply to a company for internships or through your college. It is important to know that an intern in UK gets paid anywhere around the minimum wage.
Getting an internship isn’t as hard it seems. You should shortlist a few companies and apply properly by submitting an updated resume, cover letter or even contacting any company personnel if needed. If you randomly apply to multiple companies, you might not land any.
Yes, internships are worth it. They help you start your career and understand the work culture, build networks, and learn along the way. A good internship can help you land a better job as well.
Yes, it is important that all interns in the UK get paid as they are legally defined as ‘workers’ who must at least earn the minimum wage. However, there are some companies that offer only unpaid internships but in such cases, they pay for your travel and lunch costs.
Are you looking for UK universities that offer paid internships? Connect with our UK study experts today as we will help you shortlist universities that offer quality education, paid internships, and much more. Book your free counselling session with Leverage Edu today or call us at 1800 57 2000.