Washing powder Nirma Washing powder Nirma. No. Stop singing “Dhoodh si safedi Nirma se aaye…”. I know this jingle is deeply rooted in your childhood memories and is an instant source of sweet nostalgia. But it’s also the advertising strategy that became synonymous to Nirma’s success- a private FMCG company based in Ahmedabad, manufacturing detergents, soaps, and other similar products. Thanks to the jingly connection the brand could make with people, its marketing efforts resulted in increased popularity and revenue.
But can you think of any brand that is creating such an impact with a television advertisement today? No, right? You don’t even watch TV as much as you did 5 years back to know about the popular ads. Right? One more question- When was the last time you went to a grocery store with a pamphlet in your hand that promised 20% off on certain items? Wait. Stop thinking. I get it, it was long long ago. My point is- things have changed.
Marketing is no more about tv ads and printed leaflets; at least not majorly. Marketing has become about reaching out to you on your mobile screens, about social media, about being the relevant suggestion when you search for something on Google, about the email subject lines you can’t resist and about “I was just thinking of buying a bag, why is the Amazon ad of bags following me on Facebook and Instagram?”
What is Digital Marketing?
Majorly, Digital Marketing is the use of digital mediums and tactics to connect with and influence actual and potential customers at the place where they spend considerable time- the Internet.
As digital platforms are becoming a major part of our everyday lives and as more and more people are preferring “digital conveniences” over visiting physical shops, digital marketing is becoming more relevant and efficient with every passing day.
Imagine Digital Marketing to be a big fat umbrella. No, a little bigger than that. Yeah, perfect. Now, you would find the following people standing under this umbrella and discussing a brand in the same tone and with the same enthusiasm:
- The muscular Search Engine Optimisation
- The philosophical Content Marketing
- The amiable Social Media Marketing
- The calculative Pay-Per-Click
- The wise Affiliate Marketing
- The sophisticated Native Advertising
- The fashionable Marketing Automation
- The straightforward Email Marketing
- The image-conscious Online PR
- The entertaining Inbound Marketing
You want to be friends with all or few of these people so you can enjoy rainbows of your career and also stand strong through the rains of constant advancements in the economy? Well, stay tuned then. In the next 5 minutes, you will know everything about pursuing a career in digital marketing.
Career in Digital Marketing
With the consistently increasing popularity and usage of Internet, businesses today have the extensive opportunity to reach out to the world 24/7, influence people through various digital mediums and earn revenues at the convenience of a few clicks. The prevailing need and trend of digitalising businesses have created an enormous demand for professionals acquainted with the art of digital marketing- people who have the knowledge and skills required to creatively utilise the power of the Internet for drawing the attention of prospective customers, engaging the audience and drawing sales and rewards.
Some of the most popular job positions in the Digital Marketing field are:
- Brand Manager
- Social Media Marketer
- Online Content Developer
- Business Analytics Specialist
- Search Engine Optimisation Specialist
- Web Designer
- Professional Blogger
- Mobile Marketing Specialist
- Email Marketer
- Search Expert
Pros of Pursuing a Career in Digital Marketing
- You can kickstart your career for FREE
This is probably the best part of a career in digital marketing- you don’t necessarily have to get yourself enrolled in a university, sit for lectures, write exams and score certain degree to successfully pursue a career in Digital Marketing. Of course, a professional full-time degree in Marketing or Digital Marketing will open more doors for you but online Digital Marketing certification and courses too will open enough doors to travel on a rewarding career path.
- Evolving industry with promising scope
With Internet usage by consumers surging and digitalisation of businesses becoming a necessity, digital marketing has become unavoidable. Every company- small or big is constantly seeking professionals who can creatively represent its brand across various social media platforms and engage its potential and actual customers over the Internet and other digital means.
- Rewarding job prospects
Can I be direct? The demand for digital marketing professionals is exceeding its supply. Simple.The multiple career options in the field of digital marketing come with opportunities for promotion and growth. By acquiring knowledge about the latest trends and updating skills accordingly, one can travel a long and rewarding distance in Digital Marketing.
- Your creativity gets wings to fly
Any job in the field of Digital Marketing offers one enough flexibility to try and experiment with different techniques and methods to see what’s working positively for the brand and what’s not. Be it a Content Creator or a Brand Manager, an SEO specialist or an Email Marketer, when you enter the land of Digital Marketing, you are handed over imaginativeness to respond current trends in the industry in respect to the marketing goals of the company.
Cons of Pursuing a Career in Digital Marketing
- You have to be flexible and be continually learning
If you thought learning the basics and completing some online courses would make you swim adroitly through the pool of your career digital marketing, I am sorry it isn’t that easy. Since Digital Marketing is mostly all about the Internet, a Digital Marketing professional has to constantly learn about the frequently changing trends on social media, updates in the Google Search Algorithm and Ranking System and other relevant trends and changes.
- Extensive competition in the industry
It would have been quite convenient if Digital Marketing was a club only adults with certain dressing sense and attitude could enter but it’s more like a flash mob where anyone can clap around and chill. If you think with certain certification and experience is under your belt and no one can stop you for being Number 1, well, there is a teenager out there write 3 blogs a day, managing social media for a small company and completing 2 online digital marketing courses a day- making himself skilful and employable.
There is no rigid career path for entering the domain of Digital Marketing and creating your mark. Thanks to numerous short-term professional online and offline courses, this field is open to students and professionals from different backgrounds. However, here are a few popular career paths:
Top Universities to study Masters in Marketing Degree
Here is a list of different marketing programs in some of the most renowned universities across the globe that will help you pursue a career in digital marketing:
- Ms in Marketing Science, Columbia Business School, United States
- Msc Strategic Marketing, Imperial College Business School, United Kingdom
- Msc in Marketing, HEC Paris, France
- Msc in Marketing Management, ESADE, Spain
- Msc in Marketing and Creativity, ESCP, France
- Msc Marketing, Manchester (Alliance), United Kingdom
- Msc in Digital Innovation, UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, Ireland
- MSc in Strategic Marketing, Cranfield, United Kingdom
- Msc Marketing, Trinity Business School, Ireland
- Msc Marketing Management, Erasmus (RSM), Netherlands
Free Books, Blogs and Online Courses for Kickstarting you Career in Digital Marketing
- How to Use Data Visualization to Win Over Your Audience by HubSpot
- Top 25 Social Media Strategies by Buffer
- The Marketer’s Guide to Facebook by Contently
- Data-Driven Content Marketing by Uberflip
- Building Online Brand Awareness with Digital PR by SEMrush
- Social Media Data Cookbook by Hootsuite
- Conversations, Not Campaigns by Marketo
- The Conversion Marketer’s Guide to Landing Page Copywriting by Unbounce
- Beginner’s Guide to SEO by Moz
- Practical Guide to Data-Driven Content Marketing by SEMrush
- The Moz Blog
- The HubSpot Blog
- The Content Marketing Institute Blog
- The Copyblogger Blog
- The Search Engine Journal Blog
- The CopyHackers Blog
- The Social Media Examiner Blog
- The Convince and Convert Blog
- The Grow Blog
- The Buffer Blog
- Content Marketing Certification Course by Hubspot Academy
- Introduction to Social Media Advertising by Buffer
- Email Marketing Certification Course by Hubspot Academy
- Online Marketing Certification by eMarketing Institute
- Inbound Certification Course by Hubspot Academy
- Viral Marketing and How to Craft Contagious Content by Coursera
- Engaging Storytelling with Instant Articles by Facebook Blueprint
- Marketing with Ahrefs
- Digital Skills: Digital Marketing by Future Learn
- SEO Training Course by Moz
If you are reading this, I want to tell you I have somehow succeeded in doing inbound marketing and at the same time hopefully managed to draw a career map for you. I also want to tell you if you will call Leverage Edu (+918826200293) right now and book your free consultation, it will mark your first step towards pursuing a career in digital marketing. So what are you waiting for, future Digital Marketer, don’t you want to get your creativity hitched with the immense power of the Internet?