The NYU Tandon School of Engineering, popularly known as Tandon, is a major player in New York City‘s tech realm. It is located in the Brooklyn Tech Triangle. This engineering school connects students with top organisations, ranging from innovative startups to global leaders in technology, media, engineering, and finance. The NYU Tandon School of Engineering provides a graduate education that is backed by a strong faculty, superb facilities, and a premium New York City location. The school’s forerunners (predecessor institutions), the University of the City of New York School of Civil Engineering and Architecture and the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, were formed in 1854. Following a $100 million gift from NYU Trustees Chandrika and Ranjan Tandon, the institution was renamed to Tandon School of Engineering. In this blog, we will discuss everything about the New York University Tandon School of Engineering and what it entails for international students.
|University||New York University|
|School||Tandon School of Engineering|
|Location||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Established||1854 as the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute|
|Admission Intake||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|Acceptance Rate||35% (approx.)|
|Mode of Program||Full-time, Part-time, Online|
|Total Students||2,761 undergraduate and 3,562 graduate students representing 48 states and 103 countries|
|Average Cost of Study or Tuition Fees||$60,575 (INR 44,98,057)|
|Campus Size||15 acres|
This Blog Includes:
- Tandon School of Engineering Overview
- Tandon School of Engineering Campus
- Tandon School of Engineering Accreditations
- NYU Tandon School of Engineering Rankings
- NYU Tandon School of Engineering Departments
- Tandon School of Engineering Bachelor’s Programs
- Tandon School of Engineering Master’s Programs
- Tandon School of Engineering PhD Programs
- Tandon School of Engineering Online Programs
- Intakes and Deadlines for NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- Eligibility Criteria for NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- Documents Required for NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- Cost of Studying at NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- Scholarships and Financial Aids by NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- Accommodation at NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- Notable Alumni of Tandon School of Engineering
- NYU Tandon School of Engineering Placements
Let’s first know the top 5 Amazing Facts About New York University!
Tandon School of Engineering Overview
A group of Brooklyn businessmen signed a charter establishing a school for young men on May 17, 1853. The school’s earliest location was at 99 Livingston Street in Brooklyn, where it was founded as the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute. The Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn was the school’s name from 1889 to 1973. Polytechnic Institute became a co-educational college in 1957 when it moved to its current campus, which was once the American Safety Razor Company plant. By 1986, Polytechnic Institution in Brooklyn had grown to become one of the biggest technological universities in the New York metropolitan region and the nation’s second-largest graduate enrollment.
A merger between Polytechnic University and New York University was first discussed in 2004. After four years, Polytechnic University and New York University decided to take the first steps toward a merger, starting with a formal affiliation. The Tandon School of Engineering was renamed after Chandrika and Ranjan Tandon gifted a handsome amount of $100 million to the school in 2015.
Bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees, as well as certifications, are available at the college. The award-winning faculty includes published authors and fellows of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, NewCities Foundation, and other prestigious organisations with experience in a diverse range of graduate engineering, science, and technology programmes.
Tandon School of Engineering Campus
The main campus of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering is located in Downtown Brooklyn, convenient to public transit. It’s in the Brooklyn Tech Triangle, about a 20-minute subway journey from New York University’s main campus in Lower Manhattan. The NYU shuttle bus system connects it to the Washington Square campus. The institution provides classes in Manhattan in addition to its primary address at MetroTech Center in Downtown Brooklyn. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Shanghai, and the NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) in downtown Brooklyn are all home to NYU Tandon School of Engineering.
Tandon School of Engineering Accreditations
The Middle States Association has accredited the Tandon School of Engineering’s undergraduate and graduate programmes. Undergraduate chemistry students have the option of pursuing an American Chemical Society (ACS)-approved degree.
Also, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), the Computer Science Accreditation Board (CSAB), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), International Association of Financial Engineers (IAFE), Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Construction Management Association of America (CMAA), American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), American Society for Metals, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), and more have recognized Tandon’s undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, computer science and physics, chemistry and mathematics.
NYU Tandon School of Engineering Rankings
Before learning more about best masters courses, let’s take a look at some of NYU Tandon School of Engineering’s impressive rankings:
|U.S. News & World Report Best Online Graduate Computer Information Technology Program||#11||2022|
|U.S. News Best Engineering Schools Ranked||#38||2022|
|U.S. News Best Global Universities for Engineering||#81||2022|
NYU Tandon School of Engineering Departments
The NYU Tandon School of Engineering is home to 12 academic departments that provide a plethora of programmes to help students build their future as creators, innovators, and entrepreneurs. The university provides flexible course scheduling as well as access to three gateway campuses, 11 global academic centres, and a plethora of cutting-edge centres and laboratories. These departments of the Tandon School of Engineering New York demonstrate the school’s solid academic heritage and commitment to responding to evolving academic and industrial demands. Here are the 12 different academic departments that are there at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering:
- Applied Physics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Civil and Urban Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Finance and Risk Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- NYU Tandon Online
- Technology, Culture and Society
- Technology Management and Innovation
Did you know: Women make up 46% of the Tandon Class of 2023, more than double the national average for all undergrad engineering schools. Also, 97% of undergraduate students receive job offers or go onto graduate school within 6 months of graduation.
Tandon School of Engineering Bachelor’s Programs
The NYU Tandon School of Engineering provides a variety of bachelor’s degrees in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and other fields of study. Here is a list of some of the most popular and highly renowned bachelor’s programs that are offered to aspirants at Tandon School of Engineering:
- BS in Applied Physics
- BS in Biomolecular Science
- BS Business and Technology Management
- BS Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- BS Civil Engineering
- BS Computer Engineering
- BS Computer Science
- BS Electrical Engineering
- BS Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering
- BS Integrated Design & Media
- BS in Mathematics
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- BS Physics and Mathematics
- BS Science and Technology Studies
- BS Sustainable Urban Environments
Important Note: Undergraduates with good academic records in specific majors may apply for admission to the BS/MS Program (dual-degree program), which allows students to earn both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree from NYU Tandon in less time than it takes to get both degrees independently. Please note that the BS/MS Program only pertains to Tandon degrees. The master’s degree cannot be completed at any other NYU school.
Tandon School of Engineering Master’s Programs
The New York University Tandon School of Engineering’s highly regarded master’s degree programmes and courses are founded on foundations, but they grow and evolve to embrace the newest in technology, ensuring that you will be a leader in your field of study or practice. Check out some of Tandon’s master’s degree programs in the below-mentioned list:
- MS Applied Physics
- MS Applied Urban Science and Informatics
- MS Bioinformatics
- MS Biomedical Engineering
- MS Biotechnology and Entrepreneurship
- MS in Biotechnology
- MS Chemical Engineering
- MS Civil Engineering
- MS Computer Engineering
- MS Computer Science
- MS Construction Management
- MS Cybersecurity Risk and Strategy
- MS Cybersecurity
- MS Electrical Engineering
- MS Environmental Engineering
- MS in Environmental Science
- MS Financial Engineering
- MS Industrial Engineering
- MS Integrated Design & Media
- MS Management of Technology
- MS Mathematical Sciences
- MS Mechanical Engineering
- MS Mechatronics and Robotics
- MS Transportation Management
- MS Transportation Planning and Engineering
- MS Urban Infrastructure Systems
A beginners’ guide to know everything about pursuing MBA at New York University
Tandon School of Engineering PhD Programs
Tandon School of Engineering’s Doctor of Philosophy programmes is meant to equip students to seek, integrate, and use information as well as communicate and spread it. Here are the highly prestigious PhD programs that are offered by the NYU Tandon School of Engineering:
- PhD Biomedical Engineering
- PhD Chemical Engineering
- PhD Civil Engineering
- PhD Computer Science
- PhD Electrical Engineering
- PhD Mechanical Engineering
- PhD Human-Centered Technology, Innovation & Design
- PhD Transportation Planning and Engineering
- PhD Urban Systems
Woah! This is a pretty long list of courses to choose from! You must be confused, aren’t you? But, we have a solution for you! Try our AI-powered Course Finder. Feed-in your preferences, let the AI match them against millions of data points to find your best-fit course to study and a best-fit university abroad!
Tandon School of Engineering Online Programs
NYU Tandon Online, the university’s online learning unit, provides graduate degrees in science, technology, engineering, and design. The award-winning platform will provide you with online access to the same high-quality education you’d get on campus. Non-credit certifications are also available on the platform to assist you to acquire the abilities you’ll need to pursue a STEM graduate degree or fulfil your career and professional ambitions. Let’s have a look at some of the online programs and certification courses that are available:
- Advanced Certificate in Applied
- Urban Science and Informatics
- Advanced Certificate Construction Management
- Advanced Certificate Executive Construction Management
- Advanced Certificate Traffic Engineering
- Advanced Certificate Transportation Planning
- MS Bioinformatics
- MS Cybersecurity
- MS Integrated Design & Media
- MS Management of Technology
Know more about the NYU Free Online Courses in this blog!
Intakes and Deadlines for NYU Tandon School of Engineering
After knowing the wide variety of courses and programs available at Tandon School of Engineering, let’s now have a look at the important deadlines for graduate and undergraduate study programs.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
|Notification Plan||Application Deadline*||Decision|
|Early Decision I||November 1, 2021||December 15, 2021|
|Early Decision II||January 1, 2022||February 16, 2022|
|Regular Decision||January 5, 2022||April 1, 2022|
*The cut-off time for applications is 11:59 PM EST (10:29 AM IST).
Graduate Application Deadlines
|Spring 2022||November 1, 2021||Full-time and part-time MS applications|
|Fall 2022||December 1, 2021
February 15, 2022
|All PhD applications
All full-time and part-time MS applications
All full-time and part-time MS applications
Important Note: It is strongly encouraged that applicants submit their applications and supporting documents before the deadline. Admission will not be considered for applications or documentation received beyond the stipulated dates. Submit your application before delivering papers or submitting test scores to achieve the most expedient application processing.
Eligibility Criteria for NYU Tandon School of Engineering
Aspirants must know that the eligibility criteria to study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering will vary depending upon the type of program, its level and various other factors. Having said that, mentioned below are the general eligibility requirements that need to be fulfilled or met by students who aspire to study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering.
- Candidates who have completed their country’s pre-university education in the science stream (equivalent to the USA 12th grade) before arriving on-campus for the fall semester are eligible to enrol into NYU Tandon School of Engineering for the UG program.
- To be eligible for consideration to any of the Tandon School of Engineering’s MS or PhD programs, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, which includes a minimum of 4 years of full-time study.
- A Bachelor of Engineering degree (based on 180+ ECTS credits) may also be considered.
- The minimum GPA requirement is a 3.0 out of a 4.0 scale.
- English proficiency tests scores like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, Duolingo, etc are also required from international students whose native language is not English.
- Students are also required to submit certain entrance exam scores like SAT/GRE based on which they will get admission to their course.
- Students will also be judged based on their personal interviews conducted by the school.
Documents Required for NYU Tandon School of Engineering
The Office of Graduate Admissions requires all applicants to submit an online application; hardcopy applications are not accepted. The application must be completed and submitted on or before the term’s advertised deadline. The application cost is $90 (INR 6683) and must be paid with a major credit card through the online system. Students must have the following documents before starting with their application process:
- Portfolio for specific programs (if asked)
- Official transcripts and records from previous institutions
- Letter of Recommendation
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- GRE or GMAT scores
- Submission Essays (if asked)
- Academic SOP
- Financial records (immediately after admitted)
- Student visa
- Application form, duly filled
- English language proficiency test scores
Important Note: Validate and submit the online application once you’ve finished all parts. You will not be able to make changes to your application information after it has been submitted. Because we are unable to return applications and accompanying papers, make copies of all postal documents for your file. You must ship revised documents to our document processing centre if you desire to submit them. Documents sent by email from the applicant will not be accepted for processing.
Cost of Studying at NYU Tandon School of Engineering
The projected average cost borne by students at NYU Tandon School of Engineering is listed below. These statistics represent on-campus expenditures; students who live off-campus will most likely require a larger budget.
|Expenditures||Average Estimated Costs in USD for UG||Average Estimated Costs in USD for PG|
|Tuition Fees||54,000 – 60,000 (INR 40,09,932 – INR 44,55,480)||36,500 – 105,057 (INR 27,10,417 – INR 78,01,322|
|On-Campus Room and Board||19,244 (INR 14,29,020)||19,244 (INR 14,29,020)|
|Travel and Personal Expenses||4,000 – 6,000 (INR 2,97,032 – INR 4,45,548)||4,000 – 6,000 (INR 2,97,032 – INR 4,45,548)|
|Health Insurance||4,053 (INR 3,00,967)||4,053 (INR 3,00,967)|
Read more about the Cost of Studying in the USA & the Cost of Living in the USA in this blog!
Scholarships and Financial Aids by NYU Tandon School of Engineering
Tuition, fees, and living expenditures for graduate and undergraduate students at NYU Tandon add up quickly, but it’s an investment, not just a degree. International students can apply for scholarships to study at Tandon depending on their academic record and financial situation.
- Merit-Based Scholarships: If an international student has an outstanding GRE score, they are likely to earn a merit scholarship from NYU Tandon that covers either full or partial tuition costs.
- International Student Loans: International graduate students at NYU Tandon School of Engineering can take out a private, non-federal loan with a cosigner from the United States. Cosigning for foreign graduate student loan applications is forbidden for NYU Tandon admissions and financial aid employees.
Accommodation at NYU Tandon School of Engineering
The following are the various lodging alternatives at NYU Tandon School of Engineering.
- Both UG and PG students are accommodated at the university.
- During the academic year and summer session, about 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students live in NYU’s 22 residential halls and two graduate living communities.
- Each resident is provided with a bed, twin mattress, desk, desk chair, drawer space, and closet/wardrobe space by the university.
- Privately owned apartments, as well as double and triple rooms, are available.
- The average monthly cost is between $1,300 and $2,100.
- The cost of lodging is also determined by the residence’s primary location.
- The rooms are equipped, and there are additional essential facilities such as a laundry room, an elevator, and security.
Know about the Documents Required for Education Loan
Notable Alumni of Tandon School of Engineering
As of 2015, the Tandon School of Engineering at New York University has slightly over 33,000 living alumni in 68 countries. Inventors, scientists, entrepreneurs, politicians, nation presidents, university presidents, academic leaders (including NYU Stern’s founder Charles Waldo Haskins), and more than 2,000 CEOs and executives from significant organisations are among the school’s graduates. At least four Nobel Laureates, seven National Medals for Science, Technology, and Innovation winners, two astronauts, Russ Prize, IEEE Edison Medal, Turing Award, Gordon Prize, and Draper Prize winners, and over 100 National Academy of Engineering members are among its alumni and professors.
- Gertrude B. Elion: Nobel Prize winner in Physiology or Medicine
- Rudolph Marcus: Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry
- Francis Crick: Nobel Prize winner in Physiology and Medicine for being a co-discoverer of the structure of the DNA molecule
- Martin Perl: Nobel Prize winner in Physics for his discovery of the tau lepton of Engineering members
- Ursula Burns: Chairperson and CEO of Xerox
- Arthur C. Martinez: Chairman and CEO of Sears
- Robert J. Stevens: Chairman and CEO of Lockheed Martin
- Alfred Amoroso: Chairman of Yahoo!
- John Dionisio: Chairman and CEO of AECOM
- Spencer Trask: Chairman of The New York Times
- Jason Hsuan: Chairman and CEO of TPV Technology
- John Trani: Chairman and CEO of Stanley Black & Decker
- John Elmer McKeen: Chairman and CEO of Pfizer
NYU Tandon School of Engineering Placements
What can you do with an NYU Tandon degree? The answer comes from some of the world’s most prestigious firms and organizations.
- According to official placement estimates, NYU Tandon graduates will earn an average base income of $91,434 in 2020.
- At graduation, 73 percent of students were employed, and 86 percent were employed within 90 days after finishing their studies in the United States.
- In terms of work location, 72 percent of graduates were employed in the United States.
As of autumn 2020, NYU Tandon has a student admission rate of 35% and a total student enrolment of 6,301.
An average student’s annual cost, including tuition, travel, lodging, and other expenditures, is estimated to be roughly $60,575 USD.
Tandon considers each candidate on an individual basis for admission. Admission to M.S. programs typically requires a Bachelor’s Degree in the appropriate field of engineering from an approved university, as well as a solid academic record.
To be considered for full-time positions, all full-time applicants must provide GRE results. NYU Tandon CUE graduates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, as well as part-time entrants, are exempt from taking the GRE.
Pheww! That was all we have to cover about one of the most prestigious engineering schools in the USA, the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Are you planning to study abroad in the USA in 2022? If yes, then waste no more time and reach out to our Leverage Edu experts at 1800572000 and kickstart your study abroad journey with their mentorship and guidance. Hurry Up!!