Amalgamating Civil Engineering with Management, the specialised field of Construction Management aims to oversee the entire process of the building and development of physical structures. With an ever-growing demand for striking and economical infrastructures, the construction industry is booming with a plethora of prospects and opportunities. If you have always been interested in the arena of management but want to study a rather specialised discipline, then you must consider Construction Management. Through this blog, we aim to elaborate upon the key essentials of this career domain, courses you can pursue as well as the opportunities it can offer you!
This Blog Includes:
- What is Construction Management?
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Essential Skills to Make a Career in Construction Management
- Major Courses in Construction Management
- Eligibility Criteria
- Top Universities
- Popular colleges in India
- Career Prospects
- Top Recruiters
- Scope and Salary
What is Construction Management?
Encompassing the knowledge of construction, from the estimation of cost and resources, safety, project analysis to information systems and sustainability management, Construction Management facilitates the smooth execution of a construction project. In this field of study, students get to learn about the strategical and effective planning of a construction project while overseeing the efficiency of the workers as well as adherence to the quality standards.
Roles and Responsibilities
A construction manager’s responsibilities include various tasks which are enlisted below.
- Construction managers prepare budgets and schedules. They also explain contracts and technical information to other professionals.
- They report the work progress and budget matters to clients. They also collaborate with architects, engineers, and other construction specialists.
- They then select subcontractors and ensure that the safety codes and regulations are being abided by, be it getting the permit to pursue a project or taking care of the development as per building laws and rules.
- They respond to work delays, emergencies, and other problems.
Essential Skills to Make a Career in Construction Management
Apart from having excellent knowledge of the subjects and core topics in construction management, students must also hone the following skills for a successful career.
- Mathematics and computer skills
- Logical thinking
- Team management
- Decision making
- Analytical skills
- Customer-service skills
- Leadership skills
Major Courses in Construction Management
There are various courses in this specialised field of study which are offered by a wide range of educational institutions across the world. Given below is a list of some of the popular programs that you can choose from:
- Bachelor of Engineering/BS/BSc in Construction Management
- B.Tech in Civil Engineering
- B.E. in Civil Engineering
- B.B.A. in Construction Management
- Diploma in Construction Management
- Master of Construction and Infrastructure Management
- ME/MSc in Construction Engineering and Management
- ME/MBA in Construction Management
- Graduate Certificate/Postgraduate Diploma/ME/MSc in Civil Engineering– Project Management
Now let’s explore some of these programs to understand what you will be studying under varied degree programs:
BSc in Construction Management
This is a 3-4 year undergraduate program that focuses on providing students with an understanding of the application of managerial principles and techniques in construction and development taking scientific and logical outlook into consideration. The subjects covered under this program include Elements of Design, Building Protection, Building Construction, Material Management, Business Management & Materials, Labour Management, etc.
ME in Construction Engineering and Management
This postgraduate course aims to impart students with the vast knowledge of planning, designing, development and supervision of infrastructure like highways, railroads, buildings, dams, utilities, etc. Some of the key subjects covered under this course are architecture and planning, building methods and equipment, life cycle costing of infrastructures, environment and energy management, advanced concrete technology, etc.
MBA in Construction Management
Pursuing this MBA degree, a balanced blend of theoretical as well as applied knowledge of project management is incorporated. It encompasses the study of principles of management, quality control, operations, building technology, marketing, materials management, among others.
Students who wish to pursue a bachelors degree in Construction Management must fulfil the requirements mentioned below.
- Candidates must have completed their 10+2 in a science stream with physics and maths as their compulsory subjects.
- Competitive entrance exam scores such as GMAT/GRE/CAT/CMAT/XAT/NMAT etc.
- English Proficiency Test scores such as IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, if planning to study abroad.
- All academic transcripts.
- Statement of Purpose and Letters of Recommendation for students aspiring to study abroad.
There are various institutions that offer multiple programs in this domain across the globe. Given below is the list of prominent educational institutions which offers Construction Management programs:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- University of Sydney, Australia
- Deakin University, Australia
- The University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of Salford, UK
- University of Birmingham, UK
- Fanshawe College, Canada
Also Read: Construction Management in Canada
Popular colleges in India
With various courses and an effective curriculum, there are many colleges in India that offer degrees in construction management. The following are the top colleges in India for degrees in this field.
- COEP Pune
- IIT Madras
- LPU Jalandhar
- VJTI Mumbai
- Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Sathyabama University
- Integral University, Lucknow
Once you have completed a degree in Construction Management, there is a multitude of prospects you can discover in both the public and private sectors. Some of the key employment areas in this field include Large Development Companies, International Consulting Firms, Multinational Architectural Firms, Government Sector Organizations, and Construction Firms. Take a look at the following list of career profiles that you can explore in this domain:
- Site Manager
- Project Manager
- Project Analyst
- Construction Managers
- Planning Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Field Engineer
- Project Engineer
Also Read: Scope of Civil Engineering
Graduates in this field have various career opportunities in real estate firms, government departments, consultancies (real estate/construction), architecture agencies, etc. With the ongoing development of India, construction managers are high in demand. The following are the top recruiters in India for graduates in this field.
- Reliance Infra
- Jaypee Group
- DLF Limited
- Hindustan Construction Company (HCC)
- Hafeez Contractor
- Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited (DHFL)
- IRB Infrastructure
- Hasmukh Patel
- C P Kukreja
- Godrej Properties
- Larsen & Toubro Limited
- TATA Realty and Infrastructure
Scope and Salary
The world is certainly developing at a high pace with various advancements in technologies. This has created the need for utilizing technology in the construction industry and has increased the demand for skilled professionals in this field. Having a huge scope, the employment rate for construction managers in India is expected to grow by 20 times in the next 10 years. The minimum salary for a construction manager in India is around ₹10-20 Lakh per annum. The pay is likely to increase with experience. People can also start their own agencies and construction firms after gaining expertise in this field.
Hence, we hope that this blog has familiarised you with the key characteristics of a career in construction management. If you are planning to study a program in the arena of Management, take the help of Leverage Edu’s AI tool to explore a multitude of programs and universities available in an array of specialised domains and find a suitable combination that aligns with your interests and skills.