While a bachelor’s degree allows you to test the waters, a master’s degree allows you to advance up the professional ladder. Having said that, a master’s degree, such as an MSc in Civil Engineering, allows you to obtain industry expertise through internships, advanced projects, and a strong emphasis on building professional or career skills. In a world where academics have numerous options, a Master of Science degree gives courses in a number of subjects to prepare you for careers in a variety of sectors. Earning an MSc in Civil Engineering can boost your career’s success and professional satisfaction. Let us know more about this course.
|Course Name||MSc in Civil Engineering|
|Full-form||Master of Science in Civil Engineering|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Entrance + Merit-based|
|Top Entrance Exams||GRE, GATE, JEE Main, JEE Advanced, BITSAT, KCET, TANCET, MHT CET, etc|
|Course Fee (average)||INR 60,000 to 6,50,000 (more if opting for studying abroad)|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,50,000 to 11,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Civil Engineer, Architect, Manager, Site Engineer, Customer Executive Official, Assistant Executive Engineer etc.|
This Blog Includes:
MSc in Civil Engineering Syllabus
The following is an outline of the subjects you would most likely study in an MSc in Civil Engineering program. Please keep in mind that the syllabus and structure may differ from one college to the next.
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Research Methods||Sustainable Drainage Systems|
|Engineering and Sustainable Design||Advanced Construction Management|
|Design of Steel and Concrete Buildings||Sustainable Engineering with Timber|
|Environmental Risk and Responsibility||Advanced Structural Design|
|Transport and Infrastructure||Dissertation|
|Flood Risk Management||Building Materials|
|CPD and Strategic Management||Critical State Soil Mechanics|
|–||Advanced Simulation of Sustainable Structural Systems|
|–||Environmental Engineering and Management Practice|
Top Universities Abroad for MSc in Civil Engineering
Enlisted below are some of the highly renowned and prestigious universities and colleges from around the world that are highly recognized for their MSc in Civil Engineering courses and programs:
- University of Glasgow
- Tufts University
- George Washington University
- Neapolis University Pafos
- Florida Institute of Technology
- University of Alberta
- McGill University
- University of Greenwich
- Stanford University
- University of Calgary
MSc in Engineering Colleges in India
Enlisted below are some of the top and most renowned colleges in India for MSc in Civil engineering:
- IIT Madras – Indian Institute of Technology
- IIT Delhi – Indian Institute of Technology
- GCT Coimbatore – Government College of Technology
- NIT Trichy – National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli
- Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode
- IIT Kanpur
- IIIT Hyderabad
- Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode
- NIT Andhra Pradesh
- IIT Tirupati
How to Apply for MSc in Civil Engineering?
To get into a college for an MSc. in Civil Engineering degree, there are two ways a student can choose, is through merit or by giving an entrance exam. Let us know about the same.
- Submit the application to the college/university of your choice.
- Maintain a good score during Bachelor’s degree.
- After the colleges release their cutoff lists, check whether you are getting the admission or not.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the documents required by the college.
- Candidates have to register themselves for the entrance exams accepted by the college or university of their choice.
- Fill up the application form with all details required.
- Scan and upload all documents like mark sheets. Documents need to be uploaded in the way specified by the institute.
- An application fee is to be paid online during the submission of the application form.
- Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed to be used on the day of the examination.
- Appear for the examination on the date announced.
MSc in Civil Engineering Eligibility Criteria
The basic or general eligibility criteria for MSc.in Civil Engineering aspirants is mentioned below. One should always keep in mind that the eligibility criteria can depend on the institute.
- An applicant has to complete his/her bachelor degree in Civil Engineering or any other relevant course from a recognized university.
- The candidates must have scored minimum 50-60% marks in their undergraduate degree.
- The students have to score in the entrance test to clear the cut-off in order to stand eligible for the MSc. in Civil Engineering course.
Besides that, if the student is willing to pursue MSc in Civil Engineering from any university abroad, then he/she must have:
- Scores of language proficiency exams like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE are to be submitted while applying to universities abroad.
- Subject proficiency exams like GRE/GMAT are also required to apply at renowned universities.
It is true that a degree in MSc in Civil Engineering opens the door to a plethora of career and job opportunities for the aspirants. Below mentioned are some of the popular job profiles along with the average starting salary that one can pursue after graduation.
|Job profile||Job Description||Average starting salary (in INR)|
|Civil Engineer||They improve the environment in which we live by designing and maintaining constructions.||INR 4,00,000|
|Architect||They work in construction sites and are responsible for the restoration and conservation of old buildings.||INR 4,00,000|
|Site Engineer||A Site Engineer provides necessary advice which is required in the planning of construction projects.||INR 6,00,000|
|Customer Care Official||The Customer Care Officials try to get projects by attending to the queries of potential clients.||INR 3,00,000|
|Assistant Executive Engineer||An Assistant Executive Engineer interviews candidates for various positions in a project.||INR 9,50,000|
Tabulated below is a list of private as well as government firms that are renowned for recruiting civil engineers and professionals:
|Private Firms||Government firms|
|Emaar Properties||Coal India Limited|
|Silver Falcon||National Thermal Power Corporation Limited|
|Ralls Contracting||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited|
|Shapoorji and Pallonji||Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited|
|Unicon Development Constructions||Indian Oil Corporation|
|Double Crown||Steel Authority of India Limited|
|European Contracting||Delhi Metro Rail Corporation|
This is all you need to know about the popular course of MSc. in Civil Engineering. Want to pursue a degree in Civil Engineering from abroad? Connect with our Leverage Edu experts today and they will help you with making your dream of becoming a civil engineer come true. Book your free 30 minutes consultation today!